Road Trip in Thailand

jonty89m

Bikes
Royal Enfield Thunderbird
Hi

This is Sid from India. I love motorcycles. I have traveled all over India on my motorcycle.Last year I traveled in Indonesia from Jakarta to Bali on motorcycle.

This year I am planning to do a road trip in Thailand between 26 September and 4 October (10 days).

After some research I have two plans in my mind.

Plan A (South Thailand)

I am planning to fly down to Bangkok on 26 September and rent a motorcycle and load the motorcycle in train travel to Surat thani.(to save time)

Surat Thani - Ko Samui
Ko samui - ko lanta
Ko lanta via krabi to Phuket
Phuket via Khao Sok National Park - Ranong
Ranong - Bangkok.

I am aware that I have to take ferry ride at some places.

Plan B (North Thailand- Mae Hong Son Loop)

Fly down to Bangkok on 26 September and travel to Chang mai

Chaing Mai - Mae Chaem
Mae Chaem - Mae Hong Son
Mae Hong Son - Soppong
Soppong - Pai
Pai - Chaing Mai

One I complete the Mae Hong Son loop, I will travel back to Bangkok by bus/ Train.

I have my return flight on 4th October from Bangkok.

There is lot of information on Mae Hong son Loop available online compared to south Thailand on road trips on motorcycle. Is north Thailand preferred destination for road trips ? How is my south Thailand trip plan?

I need some help in finalizing my trip. Which route would you suggest considering

• The weather in Thailand during end September and early October? (I checked that it rains during that time. I am okay with rain,I will be prepared)

• How easy is it rent motorcycle in Bangkok and Chang mai? (Any shops you can suggest?)( Initial research showed that it is easier to rent a motorcycle in Chang mai)
  • Budget places to stay along the trip.

And Can you suggest any changes in the route in any of the plans.

Eagerly waiting for your response.
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jonty

Difficult to say what you should choose as much depends on your own preferences. In the southern part of Thailand you will have a lot of water (sea, etc.) while in the north you have more mountainous areas and no sea. For the weather in both areas have a look at Weather in thailand in september in the south and in the north.

Personally I would choose the north (being a mountain lover) and I guess that you can do a bit more than only the Mae Hong Son Loop - Mae Hong Son to Soppong is about 65 km. while Soppong to Pai is only 45 km. However, if you really want to see the sights and smell the roses than you will have a leisure 5 day trip without having to worry about getting to the next place. In comparison, Phuket to Ranong is about 300 km. and Ranong to Bangkok about 600 km. so you will need much more time to get to the next place.

Bike Rentals - Much more choice in Chiangmai than Bangkok of bikes from scooters (step-through) to dirt bikes to large bikes as well as rental agencies. In Chiangmai you can rent good quality bikes at many places but CP Bike rental (http://www.c-pbigbikechiangmai.com/ seems to be reliable. Other rental companies like Mr. Mechanic, Tony's Big Bikes, Pop Rental, etc. are also good.

With regard to places to stay/eat, you won't have any problem finding budget places in the north.

Thanks for the quick response and feedback.

Exactly! I am looking for a leisure trip. That is why I am more inclined towards the north. What is ideal 5 day route for Mae Hong Son loop, scenic routes and places that I should not miss.

Welcome Sid, always good to see fellow RE lovers join the forum!

Suggest to tour the Chiang Rai province and visit Chiang Saen, Chiang Khong and from there take one of the best motorcycle roads which is the 1155/1093 and see Doi Patang (Pratu Siam) and Phu Chi Fah. Another nice (overnight) trip can be to Nan and visit Phayao lake.

Welcome Sid, always good to see fellow RE lovers join the forum!

Suggest to tour the Chiang Rai province and visit Chiang Saen, Chiang Khong and from there take one of the best motorcycle roads which is the 1155/1093 and see Doi Patang (Pratu Siam) and Phu Chi Fah. Another nice (overnight) trip can be to Nan and visit Phayao lake.

Hello brake034
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely keep in mind the places you suggested.

Hi Jonty

I came across from the UK and did a trip myself (link in signature block). I didn't go down south but what I can say is the North is great and I visited some of the places on your list. I would recommend it

Wayne

Hi Jonty

I came across from the UK and did a trip myself (link in signature block). I didn't go down south but what I can say is the North is great and I visited some of the places on your list. I would recommend it

Wayne

I checked out your thread. Very inspiring. I have decided I will do the north Thailand trip.

Thanks for the various co ordinates Nightrider always welcome.

And of course there is a bar full of motorcycles in Chiang Mai that you should also check out! :beer :drink :LOL

Thanks for all those Co-ordinates they'll come in handy for my ride up north in November :RO

The roads around Nan are much better on a big bike these days and it's easy and good riding to link up with the north around Chiang Khong and CR.

HelloI am very excited the road trip is getting near. I will be doing the Mae Hong son Loop starting from Chiang Mai on 28 Sep 15.I have some queries before i finalise my route.Which route is better in terms of scenic beauty and stopovers?1. Chiang Mai - hot- Mae sariang - Khun Yuam or Chiang Mai - Mae Chaem - Khun Yuam?2. Pai - Wat Chan - Samoeng - Chiang Mai or Pai - Mae Taeng - Chiang Mai?

HelloI am very excited the road trip is getting near. I will be doing the Mae Hong son Loop starting from Chiang Mai on 28 Sep 15.I have some queries before i finalise my route.Which route is better in terms of scenic beauty and stopovers?1. Chiang Mai - hot- Mae sariang - Khun Yuam or Chiang Mai - Mae Chaem - Khun Yuam?2. Pai - Wat Chan - Samoeng - Chiang Mai or Pai - Mae Taeng - Chiang Mai?

Again it depends on what you want to see. Personally I would do Chiang Mai - Chomthong - Rd. 1009 to Doi Inthanon - Rd 1192 to Mae Chaem - Rd 1088 south to Rd 108 to Mae Sariang - Khun Yuam. In this way you can include Doi Inthanon and the Kaew Komol Chrystal Cave. For 2 - Pai - Wat Chan - Samoeng to Chiangmai you should know that a small part (about 10-15 km.) is unpaved and most probably will be muddy at the end of September while the other option via Mae Taeng is all paved roads.

Hi everyone. Thanks everyone for helping me plan the trip. Special thanks to Nightrider70 Lone Rider

I know is late but I made a video of my trip please check it out and comments are welcome.

I completed one of the most scenic roads in the world called the Mae Hon Son Loop. Its about 784 kms and having more than 2000 curves. I enjoyed experiencing Thai culture with the locals and definitely the most scenic route I have ridden so far. Just when you think the scenery cannot get any better, it gets better and better. I felt I was in a roller coaster ride designed by nature.

[video]https://youtu.be/IxeT17oMf5k[/video]

Nice video, good to see the folks on Ride Asia helped with the trip, also good to see you kept your clothes on for the bungy jump :DD

Actually i think this is from Wayne's earlier trip posted on RA last year

Back
Top Bottom