Riding two NEW 70,000 Bht KTM 200 Dukes from India to Thailand

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
The KTM 200 Duke is made (assembled) in India.

KTM-200-Duke.jpg

The price of this bike in India is 117,500 Indian Rupees USD$ exchange rate = 0.02

See the India price link below:

Bajaj KTM Duke 200 Price in India - 200cc Sporty Bike | Bike Price India

- So the USD$ equivalent is USD$ 2,350 or 70,500 Thai Bht for an Indian registered bike.

Kunka, the Thai KTM dealer's, Thailand road registered price for the KTM 200 Duke is 240,000 bht or USD$ 8,000 equiv.

I am seriously toying with the idea of flying to India, purchasing 2 new KTM 200 Duke's (my wife riding too) and riding them back to Thailand. This adventure alone they will have paid for themselves.

Problems that have to be overcome

1. India is part of the ATA/ Carnet organization, so getting the bike out of India without the Carnet deposit will take some looking into and could be the deal breaker.

2. Bangladesh shouldn't be a problem. You then have the problem of getting through China where the permits are expensive, ideally joining another group would be the most economic way to get across china

3. Keeping it in Thailand would mean bike visa runs to the Laos border every 6 months, it may be possible to get it Thai registered for around 70,000 bht if necessary. Another option would be to leave them in Laos permanently as Laos tour bikes.

All seems quite an interesting adventure in a way.

Why not buy them.. adventure india.. Maybe Sri Lanka.. Then ship them over that way by sea.

The china part (and transiting the Tibet area or Uttar Pradesh) all sound like too much work to be worthwhile.. I mean sure fun but also adding to the cost so that its easier to look at other options (your china bike).

That is another option, I like the idea of riding it back though.

Why not buy them.. adventure india.. Maybe Sri Lanka.. Then ship them over that way by sea.

The china part (and transiting the Tibet area or Uttar Pradesh) all sound like too much work to be worthwhile.. I mean sure fun but also adding to the cost so that its easier to look at other options (your china bike).

One of the top adventure tour motorcycle operators in India just sent me this re motorcycle registration in India:

"Legally it´s not possible, unless you are a resident of India. Early some R:T:O:s accepted bakshish and registered on fake/hotel adresses in the name of foreigners, bat upto my knowledge this is impossible now.

And, India customs are well aware that if you cannot proff residency in Idia, the registration of the vehicle in your name is fake/bogus... The bike will get confiscated. That happenend to many overlanders who bought Enfields in India to ride them to Europe via Pakistan, Iran, in the earleir years".

are u still working on this idea? the 390 Duke is available in india for 94,000 THB... but as far as I know the problems are that, you cant register one on your name and the other... the only way to drive here would be through China and that would be complicated and expensive. When the highway from India to Thailand is finished I hope this would come possible somehow... (free trade agreement?) as the prices is very attractive indeed.

Hes posted some thoughts in his India thread.. Doing a group through tibet / china to share costs.

For costs, I cant see how shipping them India / Sri Lanka to Malaysia port Klang isnt the cheapest option, but the ride back sounds a bundle of fun. I dont want the bike, its too small, but would volunteer to ride anyone elses back who doesnt have time.

Do you know anyone in India who would buy the bike, ride it out of India and then sell it to you. Don't know if this would work but it may be worth doing some research to get it out of India?

Do you know anyone in India who would buy the bike, ride it out of India and then sell it to you. Don't know if this would work but it may be worth doing some research to get it out of India?

LivinLOS might be interested or someone else too. We might be able to get a Chinese guide to ride it fro India to Thailand (or Laos)

why only chinese guide can ride from india to thailand? not you and me? keep us posted on this topic..thanks..

How about shipping "unregistered" to a country where you can own it (If there is such a place without excessive duty), then ride it/them to Thailand and do the 6-month re-entry thingy?

How about shipping "unregistered" to a country where you can own it (If there is such a place without excessive duty), then ride it/them to Thailand and do the 6-month re-entry thingy?

No problem - shipping to Cambodia can be arranged

thanks, phil, i just read this thread...i will contact you when i confirm my departure to india, thanks...nothing cannot be done in india...hehe!!!!

If you can buy the bike in Nepal then you can register it there. Fly it to Thailand and you don't need a carnet.

I did the Tibet trip a few years ago and it cost more than the bike for 4 weeks in a group of 4. While it was a fantastic trip I wouldn't pay that sort of money to the Chinese military again.

thanks, Beddhist, how much more you have pay and register in your name for a KTM200 or royal enfield in Nepal? Is it possible to fly your Indian bike (registered in your name in India) without carnet from Nepal to bangkok?

just checked...the prices in Nepal are more than double that in India...anyway, much cheaper than in thailand...
Ideally, buy in India and fly from kathmandu to bangkok, hehe!!!

Back
Top Bottom