Renewing my 5 year Thai Drving Licences in Chiang Mai - November 2014

BobS

Just spent most of the morning at the Hang Dong Roaad MV office renewing my 5 year licenses - one for car, one for bike. There were some significant changes from the previous renewal requirements, which I have shown below in caps..

1. First stop - the information desk on the second floor. There I was told that I would need 2 copies of:
my passport
my proof of residency (I have a Yellow Tabian Baan)
AND A COPY OF A 1 YEAR THAILAND VISA

Previously, people could get licenses while here on Tourist visas. Looks like they may not be able to renew them without a 1 year visa.

2. Got the forms to fill out - which were marked TESTING required - sessions at 9:30 and 1:00. Got a blue queue card marked testing starts at 10:00.

3. Went to desk 28 and handed in the paperwork. A few minutes later, a group of about 50 people was ushered in (I was the only non-Thai). They had us all do a quick colorblindness test, and sent us to the video room.

4. Five years ago, they had computers with a video in English for the foreigners. Not any more. The session began with one examiner giving a 10 minute lectire - all in Thai. Then we had to watch a 45 minute video on how to drive - again, all in Thai.

The video was cartoon instead of film, vocal and captions in Thai. Then another examiner came in for a few minutes of question and answers. After that, they kept anyone getting a commercial license for more instruction, and sent the rest of us out to pay the fees.

5. THE WOMAN COLLECTING THE FEES NEEDED TO SEE THE ORIGINALS OF MY PASSPORT AND YELLOW HOUSE BOOK. SHE ALSO NEEDED COPIES OF THE PASSPORT PAGE WITH MY MOST RECENT ARRIVAL STAMP.

Fees were the same as before. Car license was 500 plus 5 for the stamp, motorcycle was 250 plus 5 for the stamp. Then there is a 100 baht fee for each "smart card" license. All told, 960 baht.

Hope this helps.

Both of mine are due 2016, not looking forward to the experience. It's going to frustrate me, however much I try to prepare all the necessary paperwork - always does here whenever I deal with Thai officialdom strangling

While you sometimes have to jump through hoops to get something done in a government office, my experiences are that it is harder to find those hoops than jump through them. Add in the frequent changes and the different interpretation of the law from office to office, and it gets more interesting. All I can say is that this was the proceedure today in Chiang Mai.

So, good luck in Bangkok in a couple years, and let us know what they want after you finish the fun and games.

The most serious change that I saw today - requiring a one year visa - actually makes sense (even though it will piss some folks off). If you don't actually live here, why should they issue you a license?

Thanks for the update Bob, interesting times ahead.
It might be a return to the yearly IDP from the UK for me when my Thai DL expires going by this

Colin
you can get an IDP here if you have a nonO immigrant visa
And yes you only get a one year licence if you try to renew or replace your 5 year licence on a tourist visa

So it sounds like a Letter of Residency is needed for those that don't have the Yellow book?

Before it was said that when going from a one year Temporary Licence to a five year one that it was best to do it after the Temporary had expired?
Is that still the case?

It doesnt seem to make a difference, at least noone said anything about my (replacement) 1 year expiring

Yes you need a letter of residency from the Immigration Office near Promenada Mall. Apply one day, pay 500bt, collect next day

To Alex - if you get an IDP here, it would have to be on a Thai license, to be used out of Thailand. Colin would need to get one in the UK on his UK license to use here.

To Loop - if you renew your 1 year license before it expires, you will get another 1 year. To get the 5 year, you must wait until the 1 year has expired.

Bob when you renew a five year licence do you need to renew it before it expires or after it expires?

Colin - I have always renewed mine about 1 month before the expiration.

I believe that you can renew it up to 3 months before the expiration.

No experience renewing it after it expires.

Back
Top Bottom