Rainy Season Fun

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
The rainy season in Thailand can be a mixed bag and riding, especially dirt riding can be superb or a complete disaster. Today's ride would prove to be a little bit of both, myself and my mate had been camping earlier in the year on the side of Kio Kho Ma Dam and noticed lot's of trail in all directions and was worth a look for a return visit when we had our smaller bikes.

Previous reports in this area.

Chiang Rai to Chaing Dao

Phan Looping Ride

The route would take us down the river trail heading south towards the 120 and then 1035 to the dam, the river trail and it's connections to the 118 make for some fantastic day rides, although some sections are prone to landslides in the rainy season.

390km total distance.

Screenshot 2018-07-15 04.22.54.png

First stop was the Nam Lot Caves, i had visited and camped at the Pha Tong Cave a few hundred metres away but not this one. Turns out it was a good hike to the actual cave so we gave it a miss, but it was a pretty spot none the less.

6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg

9.jpg

As the 3186 paved section finishes the dirt begins.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Ban Pha Wi is a very poor village but still manages to boast a very attractive temple.

12.jpg

13.jpg

This used to be the way across the river, but not today.

14.jpg

The ranger sign marks the start of the fun section.

15.jpg

Pretty steep descent down to the water from here, we did notice another new trail straight ahead but this is most likely for farmers crops only.

16.jpg

17.jpg

Start of the boggy stuff.

18.jpg

There is a bamboo bridge adjacent to this but it was broken up.

19.jpg

My mate Des is not fond of water crossings, this time he tiptoed through this one.

19a.jpg

19b.jpg

20.jpg

The trail is always muddy no matter what time of year, overnight rain just added to the fun.

21.jpg

22.jpg

Des had just had some new Mitas MT-07's fitted, so far no problems in the slippy stuff.

23.jpg

Some of these ponded ruts can catch you out they can be pretty deep.

24.jpg

The distance of the dirt section may only be around 15km but every turn is interesting.

25.jpg

Into the river bed.

26.jpg

Several bamboo or wood bridges, some in need of tlc.

27.jpg

Opening up now as we reach the first village and a drink stop at the local shop.
N19.37859° E99.61177°

28.jpg

From there passing by Wang Kaew waterfall onto the 1303 heading to the 120 and then onto the boring 1035, we decided on a detour to the Bruno coffee shop
N18.73216° E99.58145° the coffee is great, but the pizzas are not!

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Making the turn to the dam, this is a great place to camp with fantastic karst mountains all around.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

From here its all paved

36.jpg

37.jpg

Another good camping spot beside Huai Mae Yuark reservoir also marks the start of the dirt at
N18.77883° E99.64432°

38.jpg

The trail best described as a rough fire trail is fast being a mixture of rocks and sand you can really get a move on.

39.jpg

40.jpg

Since it was pretty dry we had been making good progress and I noticed this sign, not reading Thai I thought maybe it was an old Wat of some kind, my curiosity got the better of me so Des had a breather and I had a poke (turns out it was a sign for a cave).

42.jpg

43.jpg

Opened up into a beautiful landscape, so i followed the signs.

44.jpg

45.jpg

Not very well travelled for a wat i'm thinking.

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

Came inot his fantastic bamboo forest area, now single track.

49.jpg

50.jpg

Eventually, came to the bamboo gate, I figured it was closed for a reason and decided to head back to the trail, but a note to return in the dry season.

51.jpg

52.jpg

Sign saying this is the king's land apparentley.

53.jpg

We moved on and reached Tat Noi Waterfall, now this would be a great camping spot, clean fresh water and a small graded out camping spot.

N18.81459° E99.70284°
54.jpg

54a.jpg

54b.jpg

Small but flat camping area.

54c.jpg

56.jpg

Rangers station a little up the road.

57.jpg

58.jpg

All the villages in the area are pretty poor, but all constructed using sizable lumps of timber.

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

More karst rock formations indicating lots of caves.

62.jpg

Reaching the village of Ban Piang Chai and time to pull over for a drink.

63.jpg

64.jpg

Kid's eager to pose for the camera.

65.jpg

All smiles despite just breaking her arm.

66.jpg

I asked her to smile this was the best she could manage.

67.jpg

As normal village section tended to have paved roads but short lived.

68.jpg

This chap was going nowhere, it was starting to rain now and we had just passed two trucks stuck in the mud making it impassible.

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

Another rangers station and welcoming sign.

72.jpg

Making the most of the rainfall.

73.jpg

A guy with a weed wacker to the left of the shot, he had his work cut out on that slope.

74.jpg

Never seen a structure like this before, the wife tells me its for growing beans but unsure.

75.jpg

Deralict child develpment cetre.

76.jpg

This is where the MT-07's started to struggle, the trail getting slick now from the rain and this was a long steep climb.

77.jpg

78.jpg

Picture doesn't do justice, Des hauling is bike up after losing traction on this steep section.

79.jpg

80.jpg

Turn to the viewpoint at
N18.81524° E99.80209°

81.jpg

From here was a long steep descent to our turn north.
82.jpg

83.jpg

84.jpg

85.jpg

As we approached the turn it was clear we would be heading into a huge storm cloud and decided to push on further east and try and stay ahead of it, the northbound trail would have to wait for another time.

N18.81459° E99.81975°
86.jpg

87.jpg

88.jpg

We finally made it to the pavement and the small village of Ban On, that was the end of a dry run from here it rained the whole way home a long but enjoyable day and lot's of reasons to return in the dry season with some camping gear.

90.jpg

gpxviewer_gpx_viewer

Attachments

• Phayao Loop.GPX
    1.5 MB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Looks great! Did you have a go at the lampang emerald pool in ban on too?

You mean Lake Lompukiew, no not this time but it's a beautiful spot.

Nice trip Bob, how did you manage to upload that many photos? when I posted todays trip report with 45 photos I had to do it in two hits as it said 40 was the maximum

Back
Top Bottom