Passing Police Checkpoints w/ just Invoice Papers & Excise Tax Docs?

KMA

Bikes
05 KTM 250 excf, 96 XR250
I looked for a similar thread but didn't see anything. So I am wondering if anyone knows the ease of travel on thai hwys on a bike with lights, turn signals etc but no plate. Just Invoice papers and proof of excise tax paid. Any advice is appreciated. Bike is an XR250

Dunno but, I was just told that I will not be able to pay tax for my mx bike, as rules changed last year.

Also it depends where.. In the north, darkest issan, Phuket or Bangkok etc..

Theres no clear solid answer, but up north, you can usually get away with a fine (or nothing) I think.. Tho you dont want to push your luck downtown too much.

The latest i heard was that if the excise had been paid then the BIB could not take the bike off you, just have to pay a fine 500 baht or so.

More update info can be obtained from Kog's place in CR Jim, or ST motorcycles

The latest i heard was that if the excise had been paid then the BIB could not take the bike off you, just have to pay a fine 500 baht or so.

More update info can be obtained from Kog's place in CR Jim, or ST motorcycles
So traveling to say CM from CR or CR to Fang they may or may not fine me at checkpoints. My understanding is that they cannot take the bike with proof of excise tax. Personally I have never even been looked at twice when passing thru checkpoints. Maybe just having a bike that looks legal with lights and all can most times be enough not to get hassled?

Likewise I have never been stopped unless the BIB want to have a picture taken with a handsome farang. So when are we going to Fang Jim ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Likewise I have never been stopped unless the BIB want to have a picture taken with a handsome farang. So when are we going to Fang Jim ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
ha! I could be up for that..

I looked for a similar thread but didn't see anything. So I am wondering if anyone knows the ease of travel on thai hwys on a bike with lights, turn signals etc but no plate. Just Invoice papers and proof of excise tax paid. Any advice is appreciated. Bike is an XR250

If your are not Thai you would get constant problems around Pattaya and Bangkok at least. BIB would love it, all that bribe money coming in. Other areas I do not know.

If your are not Thai you would get constant problems around Pattaya and Bangkok at least. BIB would love it, all that bribe money coming in. Other areas I do not know.

The Checkpoint's KMA is likely to encounter on his dirt bike up in the mountains are primarily border controls concerned with Drugs and Illegals , I suspect it's unlikely he would have a problem with his bike unless he came across a spot check dealing with motorbikes specifically,

Everyone says 'they cant take the bike' etc..

I can say that on Phuket thats a total myth.. Hell they impounded 100's of bikes, with plates and green books, because they were parts built bikes without he right stamp in the back of the green book (one even proved he had the stamp in a previous green book but lazy officials never moved the stamp over to a new green book)..

If you ride a plateless bike on Phuket, as a daily rider.. I would be surprised if you would keep it more than a week or two before its the property of some local policeman.

So claiming one law is the law.. Just isnt reality in the way Thailand is.. Enforcement and interpretation is simply too wide.

Back
Top Bottom