Poking around the areas east and west of Paklay

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Early January, as I had to be in Vientiane for work, I decided to leave home a few days early so I could travel via Paklay and surroundings to update the Laos GPS map. This is a brief overview of the places I went to with a few pictures and the route taken.
Paklay%2520Trip%2520January%25202012.JPG

Entered Laos at the Thali/Ban Nakkraseng-Nam Heung/Kenethao crossing. On the Thai side things went quickly but the Lao side was a bit slow. The guy who had to prepare the temporary import documents for my truck could not speak English and he asked me to spell my name in Lao language which was a bit difficult for me. After numerous phonecalls and running around to ask colleagues to help him he managed to complete the form in about 40 minutes.

On the Thai side the Immigration office (the small building with the Thai flag) is next to the Customs Office. The Customs people handle both outbound and inbound traffic.
IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

The Lao immigration building with the traffic (left/right) cross-over.
IMG_0726.JPG

Visa-on-arrival is on the left hand side while the Immigration and customs is on the right hand side
IMG_0729.JPG

I stayed the night in Kenethao at the Sirivanh Gh (80000 Kip) and wandered around town early morning when the monks were on their alms round
IMG_0732.JPG

From Kenethao I headed east along the Nam heung river to where it joins the Mekong river to have a look at the Buddha Statue of Phra Yai (Phra Phut Nawamin Tara Mongkhong Lila Winnakara Phirak) on the Thai side which I visited when I made my trip along the Mekong (see: http://rideasia.net/forum/thailand-...g-the-thai-side-of-the-mekong-river-t484.html

View of the Nam Heung river and the dew covered fields in Thaland on my way to the confluence of the Nam Heung and the Mekong
IMG_0735.JPG

Looking from the Wat in Ban Houayla in Laos to the statue in Thailand and from the north side of the Mekong looking south
IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

Very close by you can cross the Mekong to travel to Xanakham
IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

From here it was off to Botene district to have a look at Nam Ham Waerfall. About 10 years ago there were plan to build a hydro power project here but this fell through as the economics did not look good enough at that time.
IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

Looking down from the hills to Botene. On the way back there is a quarry which is producing gravel for the road contsruction going on (road 4 runs from the border up to Xayaboury and beyond and will be paved and is expected to be ready late this year or early next year.
IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

From Kenethao to Paklay the road is already paved and is a joy to ride as it is a nice curvey road with small reservoirs left and right.
IMG_0757.JPG

The Deuangchai Phet hotel was fully booked (there was big New Year Party going on along the Mekong) so I stayed at the Si Champha GH (100000 Kip) which is a new guest house about 500 meter south of the main junction in Paklay.

The next morning I poked around on the west side of Paklay before heading in the late afternoon to Xanakham where I stayed in the Sonesavanh Gh (100000 Kip). I do love these hotel regulations with Legal articles not allowed to be brought in the room :lol: .
IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

The Xanakham District Administation Office has plenty of satellite dishes to keep up with what is going on in the world
IMG_0797.JPG

Early next morning it was off to Vientiane along the Mekong with a quick visit to Sangthong to see how far they had come to upgrade the road.
IMG_0783.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

It appears that they just started the road works (road no. 11) and the road along the Mekong as well as the road to Sangthong should be ready early 2014. It appears that the road will become considerable wider than it is now.
IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

Is there anything else interesting around there to explore? I should be back in laos in a week or 3
The xanakham road along the mekong is very scenic but not a good road for the bike as it's so dusty and busy

2wheels said:
That Nam Ham waterfall looks inviting Auke.

Yes, Ron, it was nice as it was very quiet over there and no one else was around. The water fall (N17.75985 E101.13988) is quite close to Ban Nakok which is the district capital of Botene District. Most of the roads are paved nowadays and only the last few kilometer were good dirt so no problem getting there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bsacbob Laos Ride Reports 14
Oddvar Laos Ride Reports 2
Back
Top Bottom