Phonsavan To Lima Site 36 (LS36)

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Earlier in the year i had two aborted attempts at trying to reach LS36 due to some unexpected bad weather, determined to reach the place this time myself and Steve headed out, this is the journey.

Screenshot 2015-12-05 15.48.54 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Screenshot 2015-12-05 15.49.15 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Quick stop at the Russian tank for a picture.

2015-11-16 09.18.11 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Most people are familiar with the concrete control tower on LS109, nearby is a small jar site and some interesting war trenches.

2015-11-16 09.56.14 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 09.57.06 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Untitled by bsacbob, on Flickr

Lot's of war time trenches still clearly visible.

2015-11-16 09.57.48 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 09.59.23 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 10.02.19 by bsacbob, on Flickr

The control tower.

Further in the distance are several similar type buildings we tried to get close but after an gave up and just snapped these zoomed pictures.

Some bunker placements for runway protection.

Old stupa nearby.

After the small detour it was back on the trail which is nicely graded so far, we come across this old Wat which looks bomb damaged.

2015-11-16 11.14.28 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 11.13.40 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Adjacent building, partly rebuilt in timber.

2015-11-16 11.15.31 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 11.14.38 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Just a way up the road a nice new Wat just completed.

Monks accommodation.

End of the line as far as a graded trail is concerned, from here things get a bit more technical, if i had continued earlier this year i would have a problem for sure in the wet.

2015-11-16 12.36.23 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 12.39.30 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Trail narrowing up nicely.

2015-11-16 13.00.29 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Some rutted bits made it difficult to keep a line without ending up in the bamboo.

Some great views.

We finally made it to the turn up to LS36 the trail is pretty rutted and slow going, conscious of the time we quickly blasted around trying to find any remnants as neither of us fancied riding back in the dark.

Fuel drums on the old strip.

2015-11-16 15.13.29 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 15.13.58 by bsacbob, on Flickr

After some nosing around we come across the old grading equipment for the runway.

2015-11-16 15.35.36 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 15.36.04 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 15.36.38 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Shot down the old runway.

Shadows getting longer it was time to head back and get a few shots of the drum village.

2015-11-16 15.51.06 by bsacbob, on Flickr

The odd bomb casing laid around.

Village sign.

The setting sun in our faces all the way back this one going to be fun.

We arrived in Vieng Thong as darkness fell, a good day's riding but wished we had a little more time to poke around the Lima site, oh well next time.

thumb_2015-11-16 18.19.58_1024.jpg

Last meal with Steve as we both went our separate ways as he had to return back to the UK. For the morning was a trip to reach Lima 85 :DD

Great report, Bob. Thanks

a good day's riding but wished we had a little more time to poke around the Lima site, oh well next time.

Did you see any decent camping spots near LS 36, with a river or stream? I think a bunch of people might follow in your steps and poke around there for sure.

ls 36 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Actually it would be a perfect place for camping after the end of the ride giving you time to explore around for other stuff, i did not see any shops in the village but there must be something.

Here is a shot of the layout.

Screenshot 2015-12-07 18.12.00 by bsacbob, on Flickr

There was a small stream which i way pointed and all around is rice fields so water is available.

2015-11-16 15.38.37 by bsacbob, on Flickr

2015-11-16 16.01.06 by bsacbob, on Flickr

The new Wat in the background would be another option.

2015-11-16 16.14.22 by bsacbob, on Flickr

But the actual runway is the perfect place.

Just a cautionary note, tho, re walking up to the old camp area on the north side of the runway. There's trails, so best to stick with the m, as there's still UXO around, left over when the site went DDT late Feb 1969. Some just left over by the defenders, others from the bombing when the site was lost. My understanding is that the area was not fully cleared of UXO.

During our May 2012 visit, we were concerned about walking around the old camp area until a Lao guy came down the hill on his motorcycle. He kindly acted as tour guide and showed us a bunch of trench lines and a junked 105mm howitzer.

Bob, a Q for you. When we went up there from Phonsavanh-Phou Kout, that northern area of the road on to Vieng Thong aka Moung Hiem aka LS-48 was in pretty good shape. We were in a 4WD rental Ford Ranger pickup, only used the 4WD on a couple fords of streams. From your "road" photos, sure looks like things have gone downhill!

Mac

Bob, a Q for you. When we went up there from Phonsavanh-Phou Kout, that northern area of the road on to Vieng Thong aka Moung Hiem aka LS-48 was in pretty good shape. We were in a 4WD rental Ford Ranger pickup, only used the 4WD on a couple fords of streams. From your "road" photos, sure looks like things have gone downhill!

Mac

Not sure if this will help mac but the trail from Donchai to Sopman looked very little used, however coming from Vien Thong to Sopman was clearly in the process of upgrading.

Screenshot 2015-12-07 19.44.13 by bsacbob, on Flickr

Just a cautionary note, tho, re walking up to the old camp area on the north side of the runway. There's trails, so best to stick with the m, as there's still UXO around, left over when the site went DDT late Feb 1969. Some just left over by the defenders, others from the bombing when the site was lost. My understanding is that the area was not fully cleared of UXO.

During our May 2012 visit, we were concerned about walking around the old camp area until a Lao guy came down the hill on his motorcycle. He kindly acted as tour guide and showed us a bunch of trench lines and a junked 105mm howitzer.

Mac

Mac, is this the one you saw?

LS 36 big gun.jpg
Picture copyright Steve Canyon

And yes, I fully agree with you re the UXO - watch out guys as the stuff still lying around might have become very unstable. The same is true for Skyline Ridge at Longchaeng as well as other places. While I can understand that you want to be able to say you have been there, but one mishap and things might get very bad not only for you but also for other people who might want to visit these places later on.

But the actual runway is the perfect place.

Just a warning for camping on that nice grassy area. A few years ago at LS 32 Bouamlong (N19.75975 E103.33047) a few soldiers of the Lao Army were building a fire to keep warm. Unfortunately for them, they built the fire on top of a piece of UXO and the heat caused it to explode, killing a few of the soldiers.

Just a warning for camping on that nice grassy area. A few years ago at LS 32 Bouamlong (N19.75975 E103.33047) a few soldiers of the Lao Army were building a fire to keep warm. Unfortunately for them, they built the fire on top of a piece of UXO and the heat caused it to explode, killing a few of the soldiers.

So, no tent pegs then...

Back
Top Bottom