Nong Nok Khian – Trapeang Kriel Border Checkpoint

Dragon88

Bikes
Not enough
G'Day guys, anybody have an recent info on crossing this border? Planning to come from the Laotian side. Malaysian registered bike. As I understand it theres only this border and Stung Tren. Cheers.

This border crossing is maybe one of the most fickle, either way, some days its trouble-free others it's a no go. If you're exiting from Cambodia I would suggest Osmach into Thailand if you intend to then go to Laos, but that brings its own set of problems with permits to enter Thailand. Nong Khai is your best option to enter Laos, but again it can be hit and miss regarding trouble free crossings and you may have to pay a tour agent fee.

Maybe Blackwolf can give your more as he has had recent experience.

This border crossing is maybe one of the most fickle, either way, some days its trouble-free others it's a no go. If you're exiting from Cambodia I would suggest Osmach into Thailand if you intend to then go to Laos, but that brings its own set of problems with permits to enter Thailand. Nong Khai is your best option to enter Laos, but again it can be hit and miss regarding trouble free crossings and you may have to pay a tour agent fee.

Maybe Blackwolf can give your more as he has had recent experience.

Thanks Bob for the reply. Ive heard that at least with that border the Laotians will let you check first with the Cambo side to see if its a go or not...I can always bail to Stung Tren...trouble is, when entering Laos you have to indicate border of departure. Second headache is the 2 land border crossings rule. I'll use one entering from Malaysia, leaving me with only one up my sleeve....if I have to I'll exit out of laos back to Thailand and then cross into Cambo via O'Smach....it is what it is I suppose.

Cheers mate

Thanks Bob for the intro.

There is only one border crossing between Laos and Cambodia. Stung Treng is the province bordering Laos to the immediate south, as well as the capital of the province located 50km south of the border crossing.

You will have difficulty entering Cambodia directly from Laos. Refusals are common even for Lao registered vehicles. I would recommend entering from Cambodia to Laos, that should work. Cambodian customs might not be happy that you don't have any paperwork and 'fine' you around $5-10 or if you're lucky you might not have to pay anything. Best is to enter at O'Smach as that is the only trouble free crossing entering Cambodia leaving via most crossings to Thailand and the single crossing for Laos should be OK. Have not heard of any problems entering Laos by motorcycle from Cambodia on the Lao side (unlike most of the Thai-Lao crossings and many of the Lao-Viet crossings).

No need to worry about the 2 land border crossings without a visa as a Malaysian citizen. That rule doesn't apply to you. Also, no permits are required for Malaysian vehicles to enter Thailand, so you are safe there again. As you say, make sure to mention which crossing you will exit Laos at when you enter, which will likely be a Thai crossing as Vietnamese and Chinese crossings require permit and a tour.

Back
Top Bottom