New Vehicle modification rules,???

monsterman

The government has issued new potentially draconian rules on vehicle modification,,I have only had this from thai sources and have not seen an english translation of the new regulations ,,, more research needed ??

I spoke to an officer at pattaya traffic police HQ who confirmed there are new regulations since Jan 16th.
also Chonburi land transport office confirmed this but was unable to give out any details of new regulations ,

Obstensivly aimed at Boy Racer cars it completely bans roll cages and other many racing style mods on cars and pickups but the rules apparently are so vaguely worded that motorcycles come under the new regs and give a carte blanch to the cops to hold hands out for bullshit offences ,, which only turn on their interpretation ..

also the new rules seem ban ALL modifications new vehicles for one year from new , cosmetic , performance etc thats a blanket ban ..

off course , interpretation and implementation of these new rules will be sketchy and patchy ,, pattaya and bangkok are already hotspots for police harrassment using the new law ,, and police patrols also now have a miltary component at many road blocks or an officer from Bangkok in control around Pattaya ,, a lot of thais are commenting on this over the last 2 weeks ..its unprecedented and maybe more than a crackdown??

the problem is that an officer can make an arbitary charge '' misinterpreting the law '' and the cost of fighting it in court is probably 50 times the fine so its almost immpossible to get justice and there is no formal independent appeal against fixed penalty infringments ,, and the police know that and abuse it ..

I guess about 60 % of all Vehicles in Thailand are modify to some extend .
And many Thais make a living modifing Cars and Bikes ,or repair it with selfmade or parts from other models .
If they now want to stop that compleatly that will take a hole Industry out of buisines and a lot of Thais lose there Job.
From this point i hope they quickly stop that bullshit .
Depend a system like in Germany where every mod must have Paperwork or is written in the Book , so you can go to Transport department ,they check it and write it in the Book if accepted , that , no one here will see in his live time .

If they just need another reason to get to the peoples money they should start writing PARKING TICKETS or actual fine the Drivers jumping the red lights.

10-12 Years ago a police officer stop me with my yamaha , check my licence and complain my Handlebar is not original .
I explain to him that i had a exident and the repair shop can not get the original from yamaha and i need the Bike .
I told him you know how it is and point to the Honda Wave behind him .
No Problems , i can go depend the Wave was his and more modify then my yamaha .

I think the current, or old, rule is that when you modify your vehicle, in my case a 1989 Toyota pickup, you are supposed to take it down to the LTD for them to check it and as noted above, write the approval of the mod in the book. Did this for an engine change. Did not do it when I added a CarryBoy on the back and was once stopped by the BiBs for not having the approval in the blue book.

Mac

Back
Top Bottom