New Thai/ Laos border crossing at Ban Huak

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
New Thai / Laos border crossing at Ban Huak

Received an email from Mac this morning, who spotted on page 2 of the Bangkok post that there will be a new Thai/ Laos border crossing at Ban Huak, east of Chiang Rai, south of Phu Chi Fa.

From Mac:

"Good news in a short blurb on pg 2 of this morning's BKK Post, "Thailand to add border checkpoints".

"... They included a temporary checkpoint between Ban Huak in Phayao's Phu Sang district and Laos, and two checkpoints at Ban Kew Pa Wok in Chiang Mai's Chiang district...."

I've been to Ban Huak a couple of times. First in late 1969 or early '70 when the bad guys took over a couple villages on the Lao side. Second time about 2008, drove up from the Thai side for a chat with the Thai officials there.

It'll be a nice shortcut to get to Xieng Lom area, and on to Pak Beng, Hong Sa, LP, etc for the C. Mai folks.

Mac"

Not quite sure if this will be initially an international border crossing, up until now it was a locals crossing with a border market 1 day a month.

ban huak border checkpoint.jpg

And more here:

Bangkok Post, Thursday 9 Feb 2012, Pg 2

THAILAND TO ADD BORDER CHECKPOINTS

Thailand plans to convert temporary border checkpoints into permanent ones to promote tourism and trade along its borders.

Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakcaikul yesterday notified 21 Thai ambassadors and consuls-general of five neighbouring countries -- Laos, Cambodia, Mayanmar, Vietnam, and Malaysia -- of the plan.

Mr Surapong said they included a temporary checkpoint between Ban Huak in Phayao's Phu Sang district and Laos, and two checkpoints at Ban Kew Pa Wok in Chiang Mai's Chiang Dao district, and Ban Huay Ton Nun in Mae Hong Son's Khun Youm district across from Mayanmar.

Mr Surapong said officials would speed up the opening of a new checkpoint between Cambodia's Strung Bot in Banteay Meanchay and Sa Kaeo.

Down at the Malaysian border, Thailand plans to expand its checkpoint at Songkhla's Sadao district, which borders the state of Kedah.

In preparation for the Asean Economic Community, which takes effect in 2015, Mr Surapong has asked Thai ambassadors and consuls-general to promote transport links and the construction of distribution centres along main transport routes with neighboring countries.

They should emphasise developing the East-West Economic Corridor and North-South Economic Corridor.

Permanent secretary for foreign affairs Sihasak Phuangketkaew and the Foreign Ministry would also pay more attention to border security and development along the border.

Any recent updates on the Ban Huak crossing? If not I will go and have a look before I am off to China again.

Yesterday went to have a look, there is road construction ongoing in Muang Chum and because of heavy trucks the road is damaged after Phu Sang towards the border.
A new construction was built recently with a customs and an immigration office but all other signs in Thai only!

Had a word with the border guards, who were aware the possibility that it will become an international crossing but they had no clue when.....
For now it is still only possible for people from the Phayao province or from Laos to cross the border.

The new building, seen from the guards position:
20170222_145456.jpg

On the way back we spotted a nice swimming pool in Ban Nong Lao, 40 baht entry.
They served food and beers served in bamboo huts with a great view over the peanut fields.....
20170222_153132.jpg

20170222_153143.jpg

(edit 06-10-2018 repaired Postimage links)

Last edited:
No news as yet from the Laos side. Attached is the info provided by the Lao Immigration Department showing all the international border crossings and border crossings which have "Visa on Arrival".

just read this article here in the bangkok post from 27th january 2018:

Ban Huak to get official checkpoint

PHAYAO: The National Security Council (NSC) yesterday approved a plan to turn the Ban Huak temporary checkpoint in Phayao's Phu Sang district into an official, permanent border checkpoint between Thailand and Laos.
According to Kongsak Taranisorn, chairman of Phayao's chamber of commerce, officials were instructed to draft plans to prepare local authorities for the changes soon after the decision was made. He said the plans will be submitted to the cabinet for further approval after the drafts have been completed.
The move is part of a government initiative to boost trade and investment between Phu Sang and Khop district in Sayaboury province, Laos, along the crossing known as Pang Mon.
Authorities and locals in Phayao have been pushing for a permanent Ban Huak border checkpoint since talks with officials from neighbouring Khop district were held last year and previously in 2015.
"The checkpoint's proposed permanent status will spur a vast commercial improvement for locals," said Kowit Chaimuang, the chairman of traders in Chiang Kham district, in Phayao.
"The road connecting Sayaboury to Phayao is extremely convenient, so locals are obviously eager to see the checkpoint's status change," he said. "We will see locals from nearby areas travel to Phu Sang and Chiang Kham to buy several kinds of goods, which will help commerce along the border to flourish."
Reports from local authorities say commercial transactions along the border from 2013 to last year amounted to about one billion baht, with Phayao benefitting from upwards of 90% of that figure.
Local authorities also say the proposed checkpoint will be constructed on a six-rai stretch of land near the present checkpoint after an environmental impact assessment study has been completed.

I was up that way earlier this year, lot's of improvements underway on the Thai side including a very nice welcome banner for would be Laos Tourists, but the only traffic was a continuous line of Thai trucks carrying construction materials as yet.

Vf0LyFIfRgCguZt9ozQ7g_thumb_101f4.jpg tFuzfhynTqYb7eNqi2hvQ_thumb_101f5.jpg

found an article online today - seems to work for bikers back in 2014 with bike and foreign plates:

Between Hither and Yon: Round The World By Motorcycle 2014
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/route-planning/ban-huak-phayao-thai-laos-76269

I am really surprised about that as the website of the Laos Immigration does not show this as an International crossing (local crossing only) while the Bangkok Post indicates that the Thai side is considering it to make it International in 2018 - PHAYAO: The National Security Council (NSC) yesterday approved a plan to turn the Ban Huak temporary checkpoint in Phayao's Phu Sang district into an official, permanent border checkpoint between Thailand and Laos.

I was there on the Lao side in May last year and when we approached the border one of the Lao officers came out running and indicated a "No Go" for us.

Visa on Arrival at the Lao side of the Ban Huak crossing? The Phudoo (Paklay) crossing, which provides a shortcut to go from the north of Thailand to Vientiane, has been open already for a few years but they still don't have "Visa on Arrival" so I again would be surprised that this would be available at the Ban Huak crossing.

I am really surprised about that as the website of the Laos Immigration does not show this as an International crossing (local crossing only) while the Bangkok Post indicates that the Thai side is considering it to make it International in 2018 - PHAYAO: The National Security Council (NSC) yesterday approved a plan to turn the Ban Huak temporary checkpoint in Phayao’s Phu Sang district into an official, permanent border checkpoint between Thailand and Laos.

I was there on the Lao side in May last year and when we approached the border one of the Lao officers came out running and indicated a "No Go" for us.

Visa on Arrival at the Lao side of the Ban Huak crossing? The Phudoo (Paklay) crossing, which provides a shortcut to go from the north of Thailand to Vientiane, has been open already for a few years but they still don't have "Visa on Arrival" so I again would be surprised that this would be available at the Ban Huak crossing.

I would wait for an official announcement first. Agreed that like the Phu Doo border, there probably won't be a visa on arrival option for Laos for some time.

I think the poster on the Horizons Unlimited website confused another crossing with Ban Huak. No way that crossing was open for foreigners in 2013 if it still isn't open now. There is also no reason why the Lao authorities would have allowed a foreigner to pass a locals crossing when already back then there were quite a few international borders to choose from in northern Laos including Chiang Khong/Huay Xai, the Nan crossing at Chaloem Prakiat (Huay Kon) and Tha Li/Nam Heuang. Unless he can show proof in the form of a stamp or some special documents he used to exit there, I'm calling a bluff on this one.

I was at the Ban Huak crossing back in 2009 and was allowed to walk up to the Lao borderline. Can see they have made quite a few improvements there.

Speaking of new border crossings with Thailand that have actually opened recently, there's one with Cambodia. Just opened on March 30th according to the Bangkok Post. It's the Ban Khao Din crossing in Sra Kaew province, opposite Sampov Lun in Banteay Menchay province according to Google Maps. Some news reports say it's in Battambang. Either way, it's not far south of the main Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing. I'm wondering whether cars/motorcycles are allowed to cross there because at Poipet, only exit to Thailand in a privately owned foreign car/bike is allowed, not entry (except with a permit obtained from Phnom Penh).

Via Line we received a Thai language press release this border will open permanently on the 18th of December 2018.
The border crossing will be open every weekday from 06.00 till 18.00.
It does not say if international travelers will be allowed to cross!

Thanks Marcel, having visited the crossing several times over the last months, a lot of improvements have taken place fingers crossed it will get upgraded to international status, without all the bullshit many of the other crossings are dishing out.

Received this regarding Phu Sang crossing, apparently, an agreement has been made for the crossing to open, unclear from my translator if it is international if anybody can clarify.

43326530_1965385183500324_1412654996087898112_n.jpg

According to the Thai, it doesn't specify whether the crossing will allow third country nationals to cross. Only that it is now a permanent crossing. It says the crossing, which will open from 6am to 6pm daily will open taking effect immediately; December 18, 2018 is not mentioned anywhere in the letter.

It could be like the new Cambodian crossing I mentioned back in April as being international, turns out that is not yet the case - that crossing is merely permanent now (since March, 2018) but it will take some time before it opens to third country nationals. Even the news releases in English seemed to indicate it would open to foreigners effective on that date, but in reality you can't cross there yet. The Thai-Myanmar crossing at Dan Singkorn, Prachuab Khiri Khan has been a "permanent" crossing since 2015, but has not yet opened to foreigners either, only Thai and Myanmar citizens for limited travel from the border.

Therefore, only time will tell whether the Ban Huak crossing will actually open to foreigners this year or if it's merely a "permanent crossing" as this letter says, meaning that citizens and vehicles of the two countries can cross, but not foreigners; or whether it will be international like most of the other Thai-Lao crossings.

Stopped by the crossing yesterday and chatted with the immigration police, they expect it to be open for foreign travellers next month, i have the contact details of the officer so will keep you all posted.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10aed.jpg

Great. I wonder if motorcycles will be allowed across although cars definitely will be.

Reports in the Bangkok Post are that this crossing will be open as a full international border as of Saturday, though first crossing won't be until sunday, after the ceremonies. Does anyone know if a Visa on Arrival will be available on the Lao side?

Reports in the Bangkok Post are that this crossing will be open as a full international border as of Saturday, though first crossing won't be until sunday, after the ceremonies. Does anyone know if a Visa on Arrival will be available on the Lao side?

Just got back from the crossing and spoke to my friend in immigration at the post, as you say it's open for International status as of Monday, as far as visa on arrival he stated for a while now they have been all set on the Thai side, Laos has been dragging its heels.

He suggested i return in a few weeks and they may have some update, it would appear little conversation between the two sides, I asked if he would let ride over next to the Laos immigration and ask for myself, he nodded his approval so let's see how it pans out, but I feel visas will not be available as with the majority of land crossings at the moment.

Given that a number of Laos border crossings have removed or are in the process of revoking visas on arrival, we can be quite sure this one won't have such a facility on the Lao side either. It's even more remote than most other border crossings, hence there is little reason to offer one.

What I'd rather be worried about is whether motorcycles are allowed across. Given it's Saiyabuli province, my guess is no. Of course, doesn't hurt to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom