New Import Laws Thailand, as of 28th February.

Frank Smith690

Bikes
KTM 690 Enduro R, KTM 690 SMR, 2009 R-1.
All,

I just had some alarming information about the new laws for importing bikes into Thailand. The story is that only authorized bike dealers can import bikes now, Apparently all the authorized bike dealers in thailand went to the government and submitted to the government that they were loosing to much money due to people importing bikes in. Well it got passed, and now it costs a Authorized dealer 1 million baht per shipment, as of 28th of february, meaning if you bring in one bike, it will cost you 1 million baht extra cost on top of your bike.. Or if you ship in 20 bikes in one shipment, it will still cost 1 million baht. I have spoken to many guys in bangkok that have imported many bikes in before, and they say its true and that there are lots of bikes stuck now. Anyone know about this also??

Very interesting --- thanks Frank

Frank Smith690 said:
All,

I just had some alarming information about the new laws for importing bikes into Thailand. The story is that only authorized bike dealers can import bikes now, Apparently all the authorized bike dealers in thailand went to the government and submitted to the government that they were loosing to much money due to people importing bikes in. Well it got passed, and now it costs a Authorized dealer 1 million baht per shipment, as of 28th of february, meaning if you bring in one bike, it will cost you 1 million baht extra cost on top of your bike.. Or if you ship in 20 bikes in one shipment, it will still cost 1 million baht. I have spoken to many guys in bangkok that have imported many bikes in before, and they say its true and that there are lots of bikes stuck now. Anyone know about this also??

There was some talk of this on "the other forum" a few days back. Brian66, who I believe also frequents this forum, said that he heard from Red Baron that something was happening, although he said it would take effect two months from now.
If this is just a matter of a fixed amount for an entire shipment then I think it will only cause a minor adjustment in how things are done. At least some of the shops that specialize in 'importing' and assembling bikes from parts, don't do the actual importing bit themselves. Someone else imports full containers, and they buy from them, put the bikes together and sell them on.

:eek1

Two weeks and it'll be history.

This is Thailand - Pay the dosh, get the nosh.....

Was told the same thing about registering the WR, "it cannot be done", "how can it pass the emissions test?" blah blah blah, there's always a way, is why I love this country so much.

I'm just giving a heads up guys, one of the customs guys here has told me that all bikes that get caught up in it, get confiscated immediately, and then the police get the bikes to use. And they can never be retrieved. Also Johnny it has nothing to do with emmishions and so on. It has all to do with the leggisit, who has the license to import into Thailand.

Frank Smith690 said:
I'm just giving a heads up guys, one of the customs guys here has told me that all bikes that get caught up in it, get confiscated immediately, and then the police get the bikes to use. And they can never be retrieved. Also Johnny it has nothing to do with emmishions and so on. It has all to do with the leggisit, who has the license to import into Thailand.

What I was trying to get across Frank was they come up with all these wonderful laws and break them themselves, the emissions test being one of them, there's no way my WR should have passed the government legislated emissions test, but it did, why, tea money.
The Thai big bike companies have got what they want and the government/customs officials have probably agreed to it as they've seen it as an oppertunity to get there fingers into the pie, not to help protect the bike manufacturers industry.
I'm obviously worried as I have a bike on the line, however I've been in these situations in Thailand many times before and it all sorts itself out if you know/pay the right people.

The Multistrada might be the guinea pig for this.

johnnysneds said:
Frank Smith690 said:

What I was trying to get across Frank was they come up with all these wonderful laws and break them themselves, the emissions test being one of them, there's no way my WR should have passed the government legislated emissions test, but it did, why, tea money.
The Thai big bike companies have got what they want and the government/customs officials have probably agreed to it as they've seen it as an oppertunity to get there fingers into the pie, not to help protect the bike manufacturers industry.
I'm obviously worried as I have a bike on the line, however I've been in these situations in Thailand many times before and it all sorts itself out if you know/pay the right people.

Mate I hope it all works out for everyone, you know Moe has or knows the right people. Even Khun boy has the right contacts and talking with him, he says no straight out. It will come back to normal eventually I know. But when a new law gets passed right away, there is no money exception for a while. Because everyone is watching them.

johnnysneds said:
Frank Smith690 said:

I think a certain bike importer who were are all familiar with knows all the right people!

KTMphil said:
The Multistrada might be the guinea pig for this.

Squeak Squeak

tumblr_lriwasY0DM1qzis54o1_500.jpg

There may be a law taking place as such but what happens to all bikes that are imported as spare parts??

Most bikes I know of are imported as spares, assembled and then excise tax is paid -either that will now get stopped or that is still a loop hole.

And there is no way that they will charge a million Baht per shipment for spare parts.....

Personally I do not think that the governments way of dealing with it is to stick a million Baht surcharge on each shipment -seems totally wrong, perhaps a million Baht for a motorbike import license??

Hassman

The word here is, 1 million per shipment or if you bring one bike you will be charged 1 million, KTM in Bkk told me that KTM, Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati, will share the shipments together, it all started with the big bike dealers complaining they are loosing business. Today I went to KTM and asked them about it. They said all the bike company's done it, including them. Also red Barron, terra bikes and many others, as for bringing bikes in in parts, it can still happen, but a propper book and tieban (I think that's how you spell it) won't happen.

This sounds a bit odd. I mean, you can fit quite a few bikes in a 40ft container. So what is this 1 million supposed to cover? All import duties? Excise tax? If it's a flat rate per shipment, then it sounds to me that it could end up being cheaper than before (per bike), as long as you can arrange an import of enough bikes in one go.

Frank Smith690 said:
The word here is, 1 million per shipment or if you bring one bike you will be charged 1 million, KTM in Bkk told me that KTM, Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati, will share the shipments together, it all started with the big bike dealers complaining they are loosing business. Today I went to KTM and asked them about it. They said all the bike company's done it, including them. Also red Barron, terra bikes and many others, as for bringing bikes in in parts, it can still happen, but a propper book and tieban (I think that's how you spell it) won't happen.

Ah so this sounds like the law only applies to complete bike imports. Apart from the official big bike importers, who brings them in-country in one piece? does it not cost a fortune in import tax anyway if you do it this way? That's what I couldn't figure out before, how could they charge 1M baht for each shipment of parts!
My contact in BKK who properly green booked my WR informed me this will not happen for at least 2 months yet.

Exactly.. As described this makes no sense.. Otherwise are you saying my next clutch plate or fork seal gets a 1 million baht hold at dhl as I bring it in..

The whole point of the parts bikes are your paying parts rates.. So then the question is "when is a part not a part"?

Frank Smith690 said:

Frank, not doubting what you say but can you clarify a couple of things you wrote

How would the various big bike dealers share the shipments ? I can see how the logistics might work for the Jap bike importers. What about KTM, Ducati, Triumph ? I presume they're all sourced from different countries ?

Is the 1 million baht per shipment in addition to the current taxes ? If so, the big bike dealers lose as well.
Surely some current taxes are waived with the introduction of the 1 million Baht tax ?

LivinLOS said:
The whole point of the parts bikes are your paying parts rates..
I think what he's saying is that you could still import a bike as parts, you just won't be able to register it later, presumably due to it not having the correct import papers. As I understand it, you could for instance still import a dirt-bike as parts, as long as you weren't bothered with getting a book for it. If that is correct, then import of parts for use as parts would continue as it is now.

Bill & Tom,

I diddnt get right into it with them, but from what I can gather, the bike companies would probably gather there shipments in a certain country, and then ship to Thailand. And share the 1 million import tax. And yes Tom that is correct, but also bringing a bike into thailand as parts, you also won't have any import payers, or build tax for that matter, as bringing in that way is still illegal.

All these bike companies will just shoot them selves in the foot. I brought my bike from the KTM dealer, and its just stupid prices... and it may get worse if all this goes through. Lord I pray its not as bad as it sounds..

Frank Smith690 said:
KTM in Bkk told me that KTM, Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati, will share the shipments together
Why would Kawasaki do it? they are not importing bikes to the best of my knowledge, they are all made in Rayong.

One problem with sharing shipments from KTM (Austria), Ducati (Italy but also Thailand), Honda (Japan) is that these shipments would not originate from one country, a solution to that would be that all importers "gang together" and use a bonded warehouse facility in BKK or Chonburi area and ship the bikes there, the one off fee is then not paid until the bike(s) is (are) transferred from the warehouse through customs and is at that point legally imported.

That will not solve the issue of bikes imported as parts but it will solve the issue of shipments originating in different countries.
And as for bikes imported in parts; where will the "cut off" be? Will it be now that one cannot pay the excise tax or will it be that one cannot get the green book?

I still have a hard time believing that in order to solve the perceived problem of many small companies importing bikes, the customs department has come up with this per shipment fee, seems weird to me.

Another reason I will never buy another imported bike, the sheer greed of the importers is staggering.
Instead of whining to the government about loosing money why didnt they cut their own outrageous prices.
There are domestically made bikes that completely serve my modest needs

Hassman said:
Frank Smith690 said:
KTM in Bkk told me that KTM, Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati, will share the shipments together
Why would Kawasaki do it? they are not importing bikes to the best of my knowledge, they are all made in Rayong.

One problem with sharing shipments from KTM (Austria), Ducati (Italy but also Thailand), Honda (Japan) is that these shipments would not originate from one country, a solution to that would be that all importers "gang together" and use a bonded warehouse facility in BKK or Chonburi area and ship the bikes there, the one off fee is then not paid until the bike(s) is (are) transferred from the warehouse through customs and is at that point legally imported.

It's madness, lets say they all bring in 100 bikes each, they only have to pay 1million for the shipment....??, lots of lost revenue for the government..and the dealers are making even more money...

I think slash has the Answer.. :DD

Captain_Slash said:
the sheer greed of the importers is staggering. Instead of whining to the government about loosing money why didnt they cut their own outrageous prices.

Not sure it's really a matter of greed. There are significant import taxes on these vehicles whether they come in built or as parts. I'd be complaining too if the government wanted to raise taxes on the specific product I do business with.

Pretty sure there's nothing to see here. I'll continue to buy import bikes, money will go to the government/pockets of officials, and bikes will still be way marked up compared to our home countries.

johnnysneds said:
there's always a way, is why I love this country so much.
:DD

Our "importer" says he only needs to split the bike into 2 boxes - He takes the front of the bike off (forks, handle bars & wheels in one box) and the rest in another, no engine out stuff.

LivinLOS said:
Exactly.. As described this makes no sense.. Otherwise are you saying my next clutch plate or fork seal gets a 1 million baht hold at dhl as I bring it in..

The whole point of the parts bikes are your paying parts rates.. So then the question is "when is a part not a part"?

No it's only for complete bikes? You can still order spare parts and it will be the same. But if you bring a bike in, in spare parts, you won't ever get the build tax or import papers. The bottom line that they are trying to achieve is, only authorized dealers can import a bike in.

AlexUSA said:
Captain_Slash said:
the sheer greed of the importers is staggering. Instead of whining to the government about loosing money why didnt they cut their own outrageous prices.

Not sure it's really a matter of greed. There are significant import taxes on these vehicles whether they come in built or as parts. I'd be complaining too if the government wanted to raise taxes on the specific product I do business with.

If shops like Red Baron are bringing the bikes in, paying taxes and selling them with green books all perfectly 100% legal, ie the Yamaha 1200 Tenere for less than 700.000 Baht then why cant the official importers do the same?

I got some more information about this subject yesterday from a friend with good contacts with the local bike manufacturers.

The Thai (and other Asian based) manufacture plants -not importers- are trying to protect their investments by forcing the Thai government to increase taxes and/or make it more difficult to import bikes to Thailand.

Over the last 5 odd years import duties for bikes between certain Asian countries (not sure if it is ASEAN or not) have decreased on a sliding scale, last year 250 cc bikes were without duties and this year I think 400 cc bikes can be imported with no or very little duties -do note that this is within certain countries only.

The main players wishing to protect their markets are:
Kawasaki -heavily invested in their Rayong factories.
KTM -they sold a large percentage of their company to an Indian company and KTM bikes such as the 125 and 250 Dukes are now made in India and imported to Thailand with little or no duties.
Honda -they are investing heavily in their facilities gearing up for the coming 250 cc motard and trails bikes, as well as a 400 cc road bike that is in the pipe.
Ducati -currently assembling 12 bikes per day at their Amata facility and that is set to increase.
BMW -they are considering production and sales here in Thailand of Husqvarna branded bikes up to 400 cc -possibly these are only road bikes though.

Hassman said:
Over the last 5 odd years import duties for bikes between certain Asian countries (not sure if it is ASEAN or not) have decreased on a sliding scale, last year 250 cc bikes were without duties and this year I think 400 cc bikes can be imported with no or very little duties -do note that this is within certain countries only.

I read this a few times also, but thought this was for new bikes only.. So only of advantage to the big sellers not the little guy second hand importers who this effects ??

KTM -they sold a large percentage of their company to an Indian company and KTM bikes such as the 125 and 250 Dukes are now made in India and imported to Thailand with little or no duties.

Then why so damn expensive ?? 220k for a 200cc made in india ??

BMW -they are considering production and sales here in Thailand of Husqvarna branded bikes up to 400 cc -possibly these are only road bikes though.

Now that might be interesting.. Domestically priced and produced Huskys.

Back
Top Bottom