Nan-A Christmas Days Ride Exploring New Dirt Tracks

Captain_Slash

Community Manager
Bikes
BMW 310GS Honda Wave 125 Honda MSX 125
The route 1168, 3037, 3223

Total distance 75 km
DSCF0652.jpg

First thing this morning was to give the KLX its 9000 km oil change, I stopped at a Shell fuel station to get the oil and was going to get it done here for free rather than pay Kawasaki 150 Baht for five minutes work.
Things worked out better, they let me do it myself
DSCF0653.jpg

Now to try to finish some of yesterdays unfinished dirt tracks, once the live track is uploaded and showing on my own website I zoom in to have a better look and often see where I could have got through on tracks that werent showing on the GPS
DSCF0654.jpg

Riding through the rubber plantation
DSCF0655.jpg

On a sharp right hand corner I take a left thats not on the GPS but google earth shows it links up
DSCF0656.jpg

DSCF0657.jpg

DSCF0658.jpg

DSCF0659.jpg

DSCF0660.jpg

DSCF0661.jpg

DSCF0662.jpg

DSCF0663.jpg

I ride to the burnt patch that I turned back on yesterday, thats one track linked up
DSCF0664.jpg

Heres the track I was attempting to come down yesterday, I would have got done, gravity would have ensured that but getting back up might be a big problem
DSCF0665.jpg

DSCF0666.jpg

DSCF0667.jpg

Another off shoot but trying these out is a bit risky as turning around if it suddenly stops is a problem
DSCF0668.jpg

DSCF0669.jpg

Job done, now back to the 3037
DSCF0671.jpg

A short hop along the 3037 and then its a left to try another dirt track that should link up with yesterdays tracks
DSCF0672.jpg

DSCF0673.jpg

DSCF0674.jpg

Quite easy going to start with
DSCF0675.jpg

DSCF0676.jpg

Lots of loose dust up here
DSCF0677.jpg

DSCF0679.jpg

DSCF0680.jpg

DSCF0681.jpg

Once past this guy and the surface changes, it appears to be freshly cut bamboo flattened down, it goes down steeply in places and I dont stop for any more photos
DSCF0682.jpg

At the bottom I have to scout around looking for the right track and walk it carrying the GPS as I am a bit concerned about taking the water crossing.
I walk to where I got to yesterday coming in the opposite direction and apart from the water crossing it was an easy track
DSCF0683.jpg

Lots of buffaloes again today
DSCF0684.jpg

This is the crossing and going across in this direction looks okay but I need to cross the other way
DSCF0685.jpg

Its rather steep after the water and I dont attempt it, here is where two people would definitely have done it
DSCF0686.jpg

Now to ride back up through this unpleasant bamboo
DSCF0687.jpg

I hit something and stall the bike on a steep section, its now a case of putting the bike in gear and running alongside it as theres not much traction
DSCF0688.jpg

Back at the top on a sensible surface
DSCF0689.jpg

DSCF0690.jpg

Now on the 3037 to visit some water
DSCF0691.jpg

I was up on top of that just now
DSCF0692.jpg

Nong Bua Saliang is what the GPS says its called
DSCF0693.jpg

Its certainly a rough rutted track alongside it
DSCF0695.jpg

Now to try another dirt track
DSCF0696.jpg

DSCF0697.jpg

DSCF0698.jpg

It turns to single track and care is needed at the corner as the tracks a bit narrow
DSCF0699.jpg

DSCF0700.jpg

Its not too difficult to start with but gets progressively worse as I proceed
DSCF0701.jpg

DSCF0702.jpg

After three km of this track its getting a bit too dense for my liking and theres no track showing on my GPS neither do I appear to be heading for one
DSCF0703.jpg

I am about ten metres in front of the KLX and can only just see a bit of red plastic, time to turn around
DSCF0704.jpg

This little clearing is ideal, I spin the KLX around on its side stand then ride back after my second successive day of doing less than 100 km but having fun exploring local tracks
DSCF0705.jpg

A full English breakfast for an Englishman sounds like a good christmas dinner to me, 160 Baht at Tonys Place

You can get the gdb file from my website here … http://www.captainslash.com

Colin, you have a smudge on your lens!! Time for the spec's cloth again ;)

This sounded like a bit of a palarver.
This little clearing is ideal, I spin the KLX around on its side stand then ride back ...

:LOL

Nice tracks there Colin.

Ally

Looks like great trails Colin, that goes on the list for the rain season ;)

You're getting more and more adventurous Colin, really enjoyed this one, wishing I was still there exploring with you. Did you meet up with the Singapore guys that just came back from China? They came looking for you.

A map of the new trails

Colin xmas day dirt nan.jpg

Ally yes I noticed that when I posted last night but it didnt seem to be on the first one so goodness knows how it got there, I have cleaned it again

Phil I was wishing you were with me too then we could have crossed the water.
I met Yempaul and Kazky this morning and we had a good chat

Great report Colin and as usual a load of photos, brilliant!

Good to see that you are getting on with the KLX, it kind of opens up new avenues to explore to have the off road capability.

Take care out there and good luck on your next trip!
Hasse

Thanks Hasse and I look forward to eventually meeting you properly sometime

Back
Top Bottom