Nam Ou 3 Dam Eliminates River Cruises

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Nam Ou 3 Dam Eliminates River Cruises

On Monday, November 20, a river cruise option popular amongst tourists and locals on the Nam Ou River in Laos, was officially cancelled as the impact of a new dam ends an era of river cruising. Official announcements made by local authorities have confirmed that the completion of the new hydro Nam Ou 3 Dam would terminate all cruising possibilities between the two riverside towns.

Over the weekend leading up to the closure, tour operators frantically alerted their overseas partners, informing them of the permanent suspension of the Nam Ou River cruises, between the towns of Nong Khiaw and Muang Khua. It is speculated that the closure will impact tourism and businesses in both towns, with the economy in both villages likely to suffer due to the hydro dam. Eliminating the popular Nam Ou river cruises will disappoint many tourists, as the boats provide the best way to experience the natural beauty of northern Laos from a relaxing river perspective. These trips will now be replaced by bus transports, following a road that weaves through valleys, occasionally skirting the river, but in places forced by the terrain to make wide diversions.

Source: Laotian Times November 20, 2017

Note LR: The Nam Ou 3 Dam is located at about N20.82047 E102.66621 and can be accessed through a new unpaved road from Rd 2509 (turnoff to the east at about N20.81744 E102.56327)

Nam Ou 3 construction site with access road to the west to Rd 2509.JPG
Satellite picture of the Nam Ou 3 construction site

Hello Auke,
Very sad news indeed,but very predictable.
A couple of friends will be biking there next January.
I suggested them to park their bike 2 nights in Nong Kiaw and do a return trip to Muang Ngoy on the Nam Ou.
Do you know if these 2 villages will still be linked by boat? Or,may be the trail on the left bank will be possible with a 250crfl.
Any info would be of great help.
Cheers, Lung Jacques.

Hi Lung,

As far as I know you can still go by boat from Nong Kiaw to Muang Ngoy. You can go by bike to Muang Ngoy from Nong Kiaw- go east from Nong Kiaw along Rd. 1C to Ban Phouthipheung and then head north along Rd. 2508. At Ban Don you head north-west along a track which links with Muang Ngoy.

Capture.JPG

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer and the attached map.

Could be a nice loop to make, loading the bike either upstream or down stream.

I'll forward your message to my friend.

Cheers,lung.

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer and the attached map.

Could be a nice loop to make, loading the bike either upstream or down stream.

I'll forward your message to my friend.

Cheers,lung.

Hi Lung,

There is a kind of trip report (Part of a larger trip report) from "The Bigfella" who rode from Muang Ngoy to Nong Kiaw and then loaded his bike on a boat for the return trip to Muang Ngoy: Muang Ngoy from Nong Kiaw

Cheers, Auke

Waouh,thanks Auke.and Big Fella.
Sent the link to my friend.
Had only time to browse it quickly. Reminds me a lot of places where I loved to ride solo some years ago.
I'll take a lot of time tomorrow to watch thoroughly.
Happy memories .....
Cheers,lung.

Back
Top Bottom