N.O.B ride 3rd February, 2012

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
N.O.B ride 3rd February, 2012

There seems to be an interest in a N.O.B ride this Friday, some have suggested that Max's route below might be fun.

file.php

We could meet 0930am at the same place of 2 weeks ago at the junction of R 108 & the turn for Night Safari if that suits people.

file.php

All open to ideas.

Phil, if we're doing this track let's meet at Wat Umong. This trail starts 500m after wat umong.

Max -- I think it we need a more simple meeting place in the same area as the Wat.

MastaMax said:
Phil, if we're doing this track let's meet at Wat Umong. This trail starts 500m after wat umong.

Phil, here is another picture of the trail, it starts 8km before the night safari (basically 16km both ways).

meeting.jpg

As very easy meeting point there is the 121 (canal road) at the one and only gas station (closed for renovation) about 1km on the left coming out of town. I think it's very easy to spot no one can miss it.

Also I would not recommend this ride for beginners, get ready for something very similar to the last man standing from a few weeks ago.

MastaMax said:
Phil, here is another picture of the trail, it starts 8km before the night safari (basically 16km both ways).

[attachment=0:2qrc1v2w]meeting.jpg[/attachment:2qrc1v2w]

As very easy meeting point there is the 121 (canal road) at the one and only gas station (closed for renovation) about 1km on the left coming out of town. I think it's very easy to spot no one can miss it.

Also I would not recommend this ride for beginners, get ready for something very similar to the last man standing from a few weeks ago.

I agree with Max would be a shame if people turn up for something they may not enjoy .

If this trail is similar to the LM2 then it is maybe 8 out of 10 for difficulty which isn't for every one .

jkrfjessjess said:
MastaMax said:

[attachment=0:3t0v2zzg]meeting.jpg[/attachment:3t0v2zzg]

I agree with Max would be a shame if people turn up for something they may not enjoy .

If this trail is similar to the LM2 then it is maybe 8 out of 10 for difficulty which isn't for every one .

Sounds like another suggestion is needed

KTMphil said:
jkrfjessjess said:
MastaMax said:

[attachment=0:1cpaq0pf]meeting.jpg[/attachment:1cpaq0pf]

Sounds like another suggestion is needed

Hows about two groups eventually meeting at the Hmong village and then a leisurely trip along the turtle track ( easier these days with less thicket )

That's sounds like a very good idea. 2 groups in the morning, then meeting at the Hmong village and ride all together after.

Like the sound of these tracks max has suggested, I may rent a bike and come along with you guys if thats OK?

Stokes70 said:
Like the sound of these tracks max has suggested, I may rent a bike and come along with you guys if thats OK?

You are more than welcome "Champ", still need an idiot-proof meeting point.

whats wrong with meeting at wat umong like max said? I dont see how thats difficult. You go up sutthep road, cross over the 121 intersection, continue up until you see Wat umong signposted( Soi 4 on the left hand side) turn down that soi, and its about 1km down there right in front of you on a left hand bend, again signposted in english.

If this is deemed to difficult then like max said, at the old PTT station about 1km heading south from the 121/sutthep road intersection.

Cant wait will be my first ride for flipping ages!!

Wat umong it is 0930 am Friday morning.... ill see who else is around.

Stokes70 said:
whats wrong with meeting at wat umong like max said? I dont see how thats difficult. You go up sutthep road, cross over the 121 intersection, continue up until you see Wat umong signposted( Soi 4 on the left hand side) turn down that soi, and its about 1km down there right in front of you on a left hand bend, again signposted in english.

If this is deemed to difficult then like max said, at the old PTT station about 1km heading south from the 121/sutthep road intersection.

Cant wait will be my first ride for flipping ages!!

It might be a bit wet up there friday.
Major rain near the airport tues night and some more today.

Won't be able to join you tomorrow but just took a lazy cruise up Max's trail and it's definitely way easier than last time me and him were up it a few months ago. It's 100% dry. You guys shouldn't have any problems.

Photo0309.jpg

Just watch out for the forest crews in the woods clearing trees and making firebreaks. Stopped at their camp today and they said they were working in the area.

Photo0310.jpg

AlexUSA said:
Won't be able to join you tomorrow but just took a lazy cruise up Max's trail and it's definitely way easier than last time me and him were up it a few months ago. It's 100% dry. You guys shouldn't have any problems.

[attachment=1:1598sh87]Photo0309.jpg[/attachment:1598sh87]

Just watch out for the forest crews in the woods clearing trees and making firebreaks. Stopped at their camp today and they said they were working in the area.

[attachment=0:1598sh87]Photo0310.jpg[/attachment:1598sh87]
Mmm if its that easy maybe no need for two groups??

jkrfjessjess said:

Agreed, if it's not that hard anymore let's go with just one group. 9:30 at Wat Umong it is.

jkrfjessjess said:

Don't want to get anyone into trouble here - just to clarify - it's "easier". The rocks and roots are still there but the traction is very good and there's no wet terrain anywhere. It's significantly easier than that big hill on LMS.

and dont forget to watch out for downhill cycle riders going downhill quiet and fast

There has been a consensus to call this route "Hells Gate", as it's a bitch.

Rider's:

Max - Yamaha WR 250

Jon - Yamaha WR 250

Luke - Kawasaki KLX 250 48 T rear sprocket

Jim - Kawasaki KLX 250 48 T rear sprocket

Tony - Kawasaki KXF 250

Scott - Honda XR 400 R

Phil - KTM 300 EXC-E

Meeting at Wat Umong

2012-02-03_162750.jpg

The terrain

2012-02-03_162653.jpg

Some of the more nasty terrain

2012-02-03_162715.jpg

That ends up with me having my bike upside down ( a few times)

2012-02-03_162732.jpg

Scott took the wrong fork on the trail and ended up in the bushes - no big deal

2012-02-03_162549.jpg

Finally at the top, on the Doi Suthep road (R 1004) - felt good seeing that tarmac

2012-02-03_162521.jpg

Then lunch in the Hmong village

lunch.jpg

2012-02-03_162507.jpg

They went on to do the turtle trail, I was worn out and went back down, we'll see how their afternoon was later....... great day out

We didn't do Turtle trail. We did Max's new trail. If it does not have a name already (don't think it does) I think "Balls to the Wall" would be fitting. There is one narrow section that you are pretty much pressing the wall next to you so you don't fall off the cliff to the right of you, good stuff!
Another awesome day of hard riding. Thanks everyone!
I am f'ng beat and need pain killers, now! :eek1

Indeed we went my track back up and then last man standing down. Very nice day, good company and great trails!
Will post the GPX later.

Well I had a brilliant day, great to get off and out into the hills on some nice gnarly singletrack! awesome stuff everyone who came and cant wait to get at it again next week! :DD :RO

Back
Top Bottom