N.O.B Ride 3rd August, 2012

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Posting this soon enough as last week the nob ride was posted last minute and it didn't work out...

So for this coming Friday, why not one of Rudi's (expressolungo) trails as some already suggested?

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...o-keo-single-track-ride-saturday-29-july.html

Now if we go for this trail, how do we get in Mae Wang, and from Samoeng back to CM? All on the road or any other possibility? For example "Death Valley" track goes to Mae Wang right?

Me too. Death Valley is very difficult at the moment, suggest an alternative.

Hopefully Rudi can come along and show us this track

Me too. Death Valley is very difficult at the moment, suggest an alternative.

Maybe road to Mae Wang, but then dirt from Samoeng back to CM (bamboo trail, then tracks north of main Samoeng road where Mark brought us one day).

I don't know if I can join You guys this friday. We tried Death Valley one more time without success, I don't think the condition will get better soon. There a single track I rode with Johnny and Adrian the last time, that almost connects to Death Valley, anyway from there, it will be road for maybe 40 or 50 km or maybe more, sorry don't remember until you reach the area I tracked on the gps. Total mileage was 255 km, that's quiet something for one day. The single track is pure magic from there but only in one direction, it would be very hard if not impossible to do it in opposite direction. Let's see what I can do, this will be a monster trip anyway...hope to see You friday then....

If you want to miss out a lot of road you can make a loop out of it. You would miss the western part of te singletrack.
This goes up to Bo keo, then fireroads on to singletrack ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 30 11.19.jpg

What do you think Rudi?

We should skip death valley in rainy season

I don't know if I can join You guys this friday. We tried Death Valley one more time without success, I don't think the condition will get better soon. There a single track I rode with Johnny and Adrian the last time, that almost connects to Death Valley, anyway from there, it will be road for maybe 40 or 50 km or maybe more, sorry don't remember until you reach the area I tracked on the gps. Total mileage was 255 km, that's quiet something for one day. The single track is pure magic from there but only in one direction, it would be very hard if not impossible to do it in opposite direction. Let's see what I can do, this will be a monster trip anyway...hope to see You friday then....

Cool, I think. But as I said not sure if I can make it this friday. I will try my best. Would be nice to interconnect everything.

If you want to miss out a lot of road you can make a loop out of it. You would miss the western part of te singletrack.
This goes up to Bo keo, then fireroads on to singletrackView attachment 7223

What do you think Rudi?

What about this, meeting at the selected point, ride up Rudi's single track and loop back from Samoeng through dirt road.

NOB3rd.jpg

This way we could get the bikes on the pickups and avoid most of the road. Just needs a bit of planning for those who don't have a car. Any thoughts?

Edit: meeting in Mae Win : N18 39.205 E98 41.391

I don't mind whatever trip is o.k with me, would be nice to have the coordinates to know exactly know what we're talking about, I am a little confused about both maps above. So whatever is cool with you guys I will be happy to follow, if I can make it at all...cheers

Looks like a superb loop.. And without much rd..

Save a GPS trace for me please... Wont be back by then.

If you were to take this route, you would save about 40km of road.
ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 01 13.30.jpg
Also you would have the option returning north to samoeng, instead of back to mae win, good for those without pickups

So what's the finalized meeting point and route for tomorrow????

Who will be attending? Myself and Matt will be wherever in a pickup

Shall we use this as the meeting point? Everyone have a gps to get

the location? Luke was talking about coming
9.45am at this location OK for everyone?

What about this, meeting at the selected point, ride up Rudi's single track and loop back from Samoeng through dirt road.

View attachment 7289

This way we could get the bikes on the pickups and avoid most of the road. Just needs a bit of planning for those who don't have a car. Any thoughts?

Edit: meeting in Mae Win : N18 39.205 E98 41.391

Can we have a copy of the planned route to load onto the GPS?

That would be the proposed loop. Then it's not like we have to do exactly this loop, but this is the general idea.

loop3rd.png

gpx file:
View attachment NOB_03.08.gpx

Is anyone else riding down to the start point,or is everyone going in pickups?

Attachments

• nob3aug.gpx
    58.3 KB · Views: 427
ScreenHunter_02 Aug. 03 17.42.jpg
Final Route
Great ride, lots of singletrack, no rain, fantastic.
Johnny, Matt,Max and myself,
unfortunately chris's bike blew up at the gas station but it could've happened on the trail.

Cool to see You back,hope You enjoyed the ride. Sorry to hear about the bike blown up. Next friday gonna join You again. Any pictures, videos?

Just spoke to Jonny Sneds - He says the trails they did today were some of the best he's ever done in the Chiang Mai region, so it sounds like we all need to get down there.

Was a great days riding with some awesome trails - a great mix. Good to be back out again after my 5 months absence!

Johnny and I took a different route back as we had to get to the truck. The trail back was also excellent. Well worth making the effort to get out there.

Track from my GPS
NOB 030812.jpg

Matt - Were all the trails already on Auke's North Thailand GPS map?

Was a great days riding with some awesome trails - a great mix. Good to be back out again after my 5 months absence!

Johnny and I took a different route back as we had to get to the truck. The trail back was also excellent. Well worth making the effort to get out there.

Track from my GPS
View attachment 7670

Phil - some tracks on the map, but a lot of new stuff. I've sent Auke the trace already.

Final Route
Great ride, lots of singletrack, no rain, fantastic.
Johnny, Matt,Max and myself,
unfortunately chris's bike blew up at the gas station but it could've happened on the trail.

Just got a message from Chris re his KLX 185:

"Top end mangled, cracked, split - bottom end locked. Not looked in there yet - maybe no bush in conrod end where it needed to be. Not 100% what happened yet"

Thai tuners.. Danger will robinson.. danger..

Shame as Indo and Bali riders seem to be able to get them tweaked.

Kawasaki are going to fix it. Hopefully, then it'll finally be running OK. I'm happy with all the other mods I've done on the bike - brakes, suspension, wheels, etc, etc... Looks like it's just the big bore job that's wrong.

Back
Top Bottom