Motorcycle Passport!!!

johnnysneds

Bikes
Multistrada 1200S Touring, WR450F, KTM200EXC, Gas Gas 280, PCX
Ive just heard from a friend in BKK that you can acquire a passport for your green booked registered motorcycle in Thailand, which makes border crossing easier. Is anyone aware of this and is it possible in Chiang Mai? A Google search doesn't come up with anything relevant!

There is a small purple book (International Transport Permit) that is a motor vehicle passport. Up until 2008, they would issue them for motorcycles.

The law was changed, and they were no longer allowed to issue the books for bikes.

What you can get now is a Vehicle Registration Certificate for a small fee from the Transport office. It has the information from your green book translated into English.

They had it for some time and then stopped issuing them. Didn't actually make it any quicker, still had to do the other paperwork AND stamp the motorcycle passport. A little purple book " International Transport Permit", issued by the Department of Land transport, used to be 50 Baht for the motorcycle one and you also got a "T" for Thailand sticker. I maybe wrong but it has been repleced by a single page letter, BUT, in Korat they will still give you one if you go in with a copy of the old one.

Yeah the ITP book I missed out on by a month or so on Phuket.

From what I worked out at the time (language issues, uncooperative officials, and them not wanting to explain it) the ITP is replaced by a translation of ownership / book letter. This gives the same romanized translation that the ITP used to give and is used by countries that require non Thai chars on ownership docs or to get a carnet etc (as Thailand wont give them).

I'm not really sure what would be the advantage of having this?

I have one for my Thai registered pick-up and you have to stand in the same lines and fill out the same forms on the Thai and Laos borders as I do for my motorcycle, so it doesn't save any time.

LivinLOS said:

From what I worked out at the time (language issues, uncooperative officials, and them not wanting to explain it) the ITP is replaced by a translation of ownership / book letter. This gives the same romanized translation that the ITP used to give and is used by countries that require non Thai chars on ownership docs or to get a carnet etc (as Thailand wont give them).

KTMphil said:
I'm not really sure what would be the advantage of having this?

I have one for my Thai registered pick-up and you have to stand in the same lines and fill out the same forms on the Thai and Laos borders as I do for my motorcycle, so it doesn't save any time.

LivinLOS said:

I think it was imply to provide an international standard document with a romanized plate translation..

Can be a biggie if trying to get insurance or other documents in some countries.

Back
Top Bottom