Modifying a Suzuki DRZ SM for extended trail riding

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Modifying a Suzuki DRZ SM for extended trail riding

The choices of dirt bikes available in Thailand that are realistically capable of extended trail/ adventure riding through Laos & Cambodia, that are reliable is quite limited. I decided to convert a Suzuki DRZ 400 SM (Super Moto) for this purpose.

The main reasons for this choice were:

1. proven reliable engine that holds nearly 2 litres of oil
2. reasonably easy to source, lots in Thailand that have been imported from japan
3. legal Thai registration, so they can be taken across borders
4. good value for money - a used model in decent condition with legal registration can be had for around 150,000-160,000 Thai baht
5. good power - loaded down with gear for a 2 week trail riding trip does not struggle where a 250cc bike may.

DRZ finished.jpg

Dirt wheels are pretty easy to source, you can use your SM hubs and just lace 21" & 18" rims, or buy a complete set of dirt wheels for around 15,000 bht.

I like as much fuel range as is sensibly possible. When poking around in the middle of no-where, once you're down to less half tank on a standard fuel tank,i dont care what anyone says everyone starts thinking about fuel.

I've put a Clarke 3.9 gallon (14.7 litre) plastic fuel tank on this bike. The standard fuel tank is 2.64 gallons, so this is a 44% increase in capacity. Trail riding you can use an estimate of around 170-180 km of riding range from a standard DRZ 400 fuel tank, the larger tank should then bring the range up to around 265km under inefficient riding conditions. (NOTE THE KICK START LEVER JUST UNDER THE FUEL TANK)

drz kick start.jpg

I do have a 18 litre safari fuel tank also. For trail riding what i don't like about the safari tank is that the tank molding replaces the radiator shrouds. If you crash on rocks even the the polypropylene is tough, there's still a chance of holing the tank in the middle of nowhere, the clarke 3.9 gal (14.7 litre) tank uses the existing radiator shrouds.

File13_1.jpg

After the last jungle trip to Laos, getting caught in the dark, it was found that the DRZ 400's headlight was terrible, so a HID headlight has been installed. I want to test this to make sure the change does not result in a charging issue with the additional current draw.

With the DRZ 400SM model having the wrong suspension, race tech rear shock valving & new spring have been installed, this will take some playing with to get setup correctly.

Kick start has been added - being stuck in the mud through restarting the bike continually from falls & flattening the battery is pretty dumb. Interestingly the DRZ 400SM model cylinder head casting is not drilled to accept the decompression lever to aid kick starting. We installed this without the decompression aiding arrangement and it is not hard to kick start at all so not needed.

GPS power lead has been wired to the battery.

I wanted to change to a manual cam chain tensioner, Lan at C&P talked me out of it. I still think its good to have, if the auto hydralically driven cam chain tensioner fails, you could have some serious problems. It seems the cam chain tensioner problem was only on the very early DRZ 400 models and was rectified.

Sprocket gearing has been changed to 13T front keeping the 41T rear. Going down 2 teeth on the front equates roughly to adding 8 teeth on the back. I'm told reducing the front sprocket will reduce the chain life as its turning over a much smaller radius, so this will need to be monitored.

On sprockets, it's worth mentioning that many people including myself have had problems sourcing the rear sprockets. Standard DRZ 400 rear sprockets from the USA or UK have different fixing and center hole configurations. A friend has researched this and has discovered that rear sprockets from 2000 - 2004 Suzuki DR650's are what fits the Japanese imported DRZ 400's.

Hi Phil

Good setup, here's a few comments....

You have a similar setup to my first DRZ pictured below, main difference is yours has SM suspension.
DSC00719.jpg

Dirt wheels are pretty easy to source, you can use your SM hubs and just lace 21" & 18" rims, or buy a complete set of dirt wheels for around 15,000 bht.

Good idea, much cheaper than buying new set of dirt wheels plus any possible import tax.

I've put a Clarke 3.9 gallon (14.7 litre) plastic fuel tank on this bike. The standard fuel tank is 2.64 gallons, so this is a 44% increase in capacity. Trail riding you can use an estimate of around 170-180 km of riding range from a standard DRZ 400 fuel tank, the larger tank should then bring the range up to around 265km under inefficient riding conditions. (NOTE THE KICK START LEVER JUST UNDER THE FUEL TANK)

Clarke 3.9gal is a good value for money tank. I had to grind a bit off my kickstart for it to fit under the tank. It still slightly touches so I just run a piece of yellow duc tape under the tank.
I have an IMS 3.2 on my other DRZ which is thicker plastic and looks a bit better, but less capacity than the Clarke.
Agree, its better to have the shrouds absorb any falls rather than the tank itself like the Safari and 4gal IMS.
I also prefer not to have too much fuel/weight fwd as the DRZ already feels a bit front heavy.

After the last jungle trip to Laos, getting caught in the dark, it was found that the DRZ 400's headlight was terrible, so a HID headlight has been installed. I want to test this to make sure the change does not result in a charging issue with the additional current draw.

My Japanese delivery S model came stock with non halogen 35W bulb, and plastic lens.
I bought a new lens assembly with 55W halogen bulb from baja designs and fitted it to the Suzuki shroud.
Huge improvement.
My US delivery S came with a glass lens and 55W Halogen, but its not as bright as the Baja Designs reflector.

Never tried HID. It would be great for offroad but I also use my bike for everyday use so not sure if its appropriate for around town.
Is it possible to have halogen and HID, without adding too much weight ?

The total stator output is 200W

Kick start has been added - being stuck in the mud through restarting the bike continually from falls & flattening the battery is pretty dumb. Interestingly the DRZ 400SM model cylinder head casting is not drilled to accept the decompression lever to aid kick starting. We installed this without the decompression aiding arrangement and it is not hard to kick start at all so not needed.

I've never had to use the kickstart but nice to know its there. DRZ's are notorious for stators burning out. They run in an oil bath and the oil eventually breaks down the coating on the copper windings.
Frequent oil changes (every 500miles) and good quality oil will reduce failures. My old DRZ stator failed at ~30,000km, and my newer DRZ is still going strong at 35,000km. Fortunately its cheap to rewind them.

Sprocket gearing has been changed to 13T front keeping the 41T rear. Going down 2 teeth on the front equates roughly to adding 8 teeth on the back. I'm told reducing the front sprocket will reduce the chain life as its turning over a much smaller radius, so this will need to be monitored.

Its a good idea to loctite the splines on the front sprocket. Apparently the back and fwd rocking of the sprocket on the splines eventually wears out the second gear bushing inside the gearbox. The physics are explained on T/Talk.

I wanted to change to a manual cam chain tensioner, Lan at C&P talked me out of it. I still think its good to have, if the auto hydralically driven cam chain tensioner fails, you could have some serious problems. It seems the cam chain tensioner problem was only on the very early DRZ 400 models and was rectified.

Yes, only a problem on pre 2003 models. The post 2003 ones are a springloaded pawl and ratchet.
There's a little play in the pawl/ratchet setup which allows the chain tension to change slightly as the valve springs are loaded/unloaded. Because of that, I reckon the camchain runs quieter with manual tensioner .

Phil, those are all great sensible mods, and well thought out.

I like the choice on the Mid size tank. 17 liters gets me over 400ks or 300 trail riding, depending on how much fuel eating mud or sand you encounter, riding an XR4.

I often hear of the Motard switchover to trail bike. I am wondering if like the Honda XR motard, is quite a different bike, that does not convert to a trail bike very well.

For instance not only is the motor quite different, on the motard XR400, but the frame geometry also.

xr400 motard 26.5 degrees 79mm trail

xr400 (XRR) 25.3° trail 94 mm trail.

The motard of course, is designed for high speed road riding, hence the greater rake angle.

Another comment on the HID light.
I use a 50 watt halogen around town and reserve the HID for out of town and off road.

Well also for self defense on the highway, because in Laos, the big trucks and buses will just run you off the road with all high beams blaring!
looking into a naked HID (metal halide) light will burn your retinas like an arc welder! I know from building my lighting system waking up at night with what felt like sand in the eyes!

Midnitemapper said:

Another comment on the HID light.
I use a 50 watt halogen around town and reserve the HID for out of town and off road.

Well also for self defense on the highway, because in Laos, the big trucks and buses will just run you off the road with all high beams blaring!
looking into a naked HID (metal halide) light will burn your retinas like an arc welder! I know from building my lighting system waking up at night with what felt like sand in the eyes!

Hi MM
Would be interested in details of your 50w Halogen/HID setup.

Is your HID light a standalone component ?

I wonder if an integrated Halogen/HID setup is available ?

Have you added any protection to the clutch/ignition covers? I added the CFC guards to mine since the DRZ shift lever is known to puncture the weak stock covers.

Any worries about the big front brake disk getting banged up off-road? Last I heard there wasn't a good way to relocate the front caliper for a smaller disk.

Bill - I didn't realize how similar it now was to your DRZ400!

This is the HID light kit I installed

hid.jpg

It's under the lighting section on the below link (they've got some really cool stuff for DRZ 400's)

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/drz400.html#lighting

Alex -Im going to add some case savers to this bike, I think there's some knocking around Chiang Mai that i can get. Front brake rotor (disc) could be an issue. There is an OEM cover for the front brake rotor

Don- you're right about the brightness of the HID light!, took it for a spin in the dark & man it lit stuff up. Im now looking for the simplest idea to turn the light of daytime, probably a switch on the handle bar on a clamped mounting around the bar.

Interestingly, the HID headlight I added is rated 35W current draw (less than the standard bulb), which for the brightness i find amazing.

Phil
Congrats on all the upgrades and goodies.
I use a metal halide bulb that uses a halogen for low beam, just a bit of rewiring and you are all set to run them independently.

What "color" are you running with that HID?

Color or Temperature, degrees Kelvin, is a very important part of lighting.

* Closest to daylight is the best.

*Colors other than daylight will effect your depth of perception dramatically!!

Like putting on a pair of glasses, one will need to acclimatize to the new lighting.

Beam pattern for off road and road riding.

Stock lighting is designed for the beam to hit the road some meters from the front wheel.
Useless for offroad riding of course.
A very wide angle beam set above the front fender will give you great visibility offroad.

Don- you're right about the brightness of the HID light!, took it for a spin in the dark & man it lit stuff up. Im now looking for the simplest idea to turn the light of daytime, probably a switch on the handle bar on a clamped mounting around the bar.

Phil
Does your bike have the hazard light switch on the RH side of the handle bar ?

If so, for a clean look, you can use that switch to cut power to your headlight for daytime use.
Obviously you wont have the switching for hazard lights anymore.

How's the spread/pattern of your HID light ?

I can only describe the HID bulb color has an intense bright white, almost like looking at magnesium burning. Was considering rewiring the 2 position light switch so that low beam was open circuit (no power to bulb) & just have the high beam HID, a quick an easy on off switch solution.

I want to take the bike to a trail in the dark to see how much of an issue the depth perception is with the HID light.

Midnitemapper said:
Phil
Congrats on all the upgrades and goodies.
I use a metal halide bulb that uses a halogen for low beam, just a bit of rewiring and you are all set to run them independently.

What "color" are you running with that HID?

Color or Temperature, degrees Kelvin, is a very important part of lighting.

* Closest to daylight is the best.

*Colors other than daylight will effect your depth of perception dramatically!!

Like putting on a pair of glasses, one will need to acclimatize to the new lighting.

Beam pattern for off road and road riding.

Stock lighting is designed for the beam to hit the road some meters from the front wheel.
Useless for offroad riding of course.
A very wide angle beam set above the front fender will give you great visibility offroad.

Phil, the website you indicated mentions that your lights are 4300K which would be white. With 5000K you would go to white with a bluish tint. Most people indicate that the 4300K white is the best but I guess it is also a personal preference.

Lone Rider said:
Phil, the website you indicated mentions that your lights are 4300K which would be white. With 5000K you would go to white with a bluish tint. Most people indicate that the 4300K white is the best but I guess it is also a personal preference.

Looks like I got lucky and got the correct bulb - the "K" must and numeric number must be the temperature rating in degrees kelvin.

Low beam from the 35 WATT HID headlight below, if adjusted correctly, looks like it will be ok with oncoming traffic

hid_low-beam.jpg

Whereas the HID high beam adjusted correctly looks like it will blind anything coming towards you.

hid_high-beam.jpg

For comparison, high beam with 100 watt H4 halogen bulb. This concentrates the bright part of the beam directly in front of the bike. The problem is there is very little fill in down low and to the sides. You can see what's in front of you but you can't see the deer standing at the side of the road!

high-beam.jpg

Latest modification today was to splice an on/off switch into the headlight wiring loom. If your stalling or dropping the bike on some tough terrain, being able to turn the light off to save cranking amps might make the difference between you being able to start the bike and not. It is also actually illegal to run with a headlight during the day in Cambodia, only Cambodian military and royalty can do so.

Lan managed to find a used Honda switch that would mount around the handlebar & was perfect for the job, below splicing the switch wiring into the headlight wiring loom.

Lan splicing switch.jpg

Switch all fitted to the right of the light switch.

switch on bar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom