Loation dreams..

Midnitemapper said:
Great story Steve, That was great fun riding and exploring,
This season I hope to find one more on the Laos side of the border, hope you will be around.

Yes It was good fun Don, didn't enjoy the sand to much and the heat was unreal.. :DD , I'll be back for more in November :RO

I am still amazed at the change in heart at the village, 2 years prior I rocked up there spent the night outside! The next day the cops told me to get on my horse and go back to were you came from!
Of course I didn't, that was my first attempt at finding those temples from the Laos side, in prior years I searched along the ancient Kymer highways on the Cambodian side. Great fun, hot and sweaty work!

I Didn't think they where very friendly at first, but that changed....I think they must have liked us Don :RO

KTMphil said:
Finding those temples must have been an amazing feeling.

I felt like a tomb raider Phil, and after all the poking around looking for it the feeling was amazing, not so many people get to see these things, the villages didn't want to tell us where the other temple was, think they like to keep the tourist's away... :RO

Thanks guys.... :DD

After a cold night and not much sleep we are woken by the PA playing Laos music, it's 5.30am and it's time to get up. We are told to go to the little cafe and get some coffee...I need this and after about 3 cups of it Dons chomping at the bit to get going, me I want to sleep more.

Chris-L.jpg

We say good by to the Boss (Benson)

pb170176-L.jpg

And we are off, heading south, (Dark red route after the green)

temples-day3-L.jpg

We ride along here for about 10ks then hit a village check point where we are stopped, a young man tells us that he is our guide and we should follow him, seems Benson made a few calls, this would knock hours of the journey, now I'm awake and getting excited again...

We turn of the main road and into the tree desert! The sand is deep...

We arrive a huge clump of trees and it's time to go on foot.

pb170178-L.jpg

pb170179-L.jpg

Then it's of into the trees..

temples-day3-close-up-L.jpg

pb170181-L.jpg

Is that it?
pb170184-L.jpg

After about 15 mins of going through really thick jungle.

pb170182-L.jpg

pb170185-L.jpg

We find the outer wall
pb170186-L.jpg

pb170196-L.jpg

Our guide had done a good job, he didn't need gps

pb170195-L.jpg

The Temple

pb170187-L.jpg

pb170206-L.jpg

Don get's to work straight away; I'm just blown away and wander round taking as many pictures as I can.

pb170201-L.jpg

pb170203-L.jpg

pb170205-L.jpg

pb170204-L.jpg

I really wanted a souvenir but thought the gods may curse me if I take some thing from such a special place, the body laying over the wall told the story of the last tomb raider who was here..:funmeteryes:

pb170207-L.jpg

Looks like he nearly made it over the wall before the gods struck him down:oops2:

Don at work

pb170209-L.jpg

pb170206-L.jpg

pb170208-L.jpg

A fantastic morning, Don wants to go have a look at another trail, I'm not liking the sand so I head back to the checkpoint to make some new friends..... :RO

Once I got back to the checkpoint there was a little shop so time to refill with fluids, already I have drunk 4 litres up to this point and it's not even midday. I talked to the lady in the shop in my simple Thai and we had a little chat, she was Beautiful but would not look at the camera.

pb170210-L.jpg

She was a little shy, perhaps she thought I was trying to chat her up, which of course I was 5555, she was not married and the child was not hers, surely I'm in

pb170211-L.jpg

Think she's thinking about it.

pb170212-L.jpg

A few more people turn up to see the Falang :LOL

pb170217-L.jpg

I buy the Children some sweets and everybody has a drink, we having a party now!

pb170221-L.jpg

Now I go mad with the camera, this young lady was very curios

pb170214-L.jpg

This one a little shy

pb170215-L.jpg

I think the whole village is coming

pb170222-L.jpg

pb170220-L.jpg

pb170224-L.jpg

pb170225-L.jpg

pb170226-L.jpg

pb170227-L.jpg

I love this one

pb170222-L.jpg

Then Don turns up and a few more people turn up

pb170216-L.jpg

Beautiful child

kid-L.jpg

Then the captain turned up

chris-hatman-L.jpg

We stayed a bit longer but we needed to move on, we where going to head for the Border of Thailand to check out a trading route...

This didn't go so well for me I ended up with heatstroke in the middle of no where, I ended up in a village shop badly overheating, the kind lady took me around the side to lay in the shade.

I was feeling really weird, my arms had packed up working my heart was pumping hard I was worried, Don wasn't he left me there to die 55555(I'm Joking).

It was quiet surreal laying there listening to Don ride of into the distance, there were chickens and pigs running around but no other noise...I think I fell asleep for about 20 mins, I had cooled down and was feeling fine, it was 40 in the shade.

I had reached my limit that day...

But it’s not over... :RO

Don wanted to have a poke around on the way back so I headed back to the crossing and waited for him, nice smooth road and no sand.

pb170231-L.jpg

After about 15 mins Don turned up and we crossed the river.

pb170242-L.jpg

pb170238-L.jpg

Ferry was not working so it was a small boat.

I'm on now it's Don's turn

pb170244-L.jpg

All aboard lets go.

pb170249-L.jpg

pb170254-L.jpg

pb170250-L.jpg

It's so damn hot, check out the new sunglasses 3rd pair this trip

pb170256-L.jpg

We landed the other side and set of for Pakse, Don was poking around so I took 15 mins to cool down.

pb180261-L.jpg

The heat is really getting to me, I just can’t seem to cool down, the animals seemed to have the right idea!

pb180257-L.jpg

I had a chat with some locals, they think we are mad.

pb180259-L.jpg

Don arrives and we head of, on the way we go look at a UNESCO site, another temple ruin Wat Umo

pb180283-L.jpg

pb180266-L.jpg

Not much of it left, lots of History mind you

pb180268-L.jpg

pb180284-L.jpg

pb180285-L.jpg

Dons mapping everything.

pb180287-L.jpg

pb180280-L.jpg

Me, I'm to hot and feeling a bit weird again. I'm on my last legs :funmeterno:

I wander of into the shade towards to river.

pb180282-L.jpg

it's not long before I'm smiling again, some locals are down there fishing having a ball :funmeteryes:

pb180273-L.jpg

Cheers me up

pb180272-L.jpg

On this note we decide to leave, Dons gives me a waypoint in town and I'm gone as fast as I can get some breeze. Once in Pakse I cant believe how badly they all drive, people just pull out without even looking, damn right scary, the junctions where just a big free for all.

pb180293-L.jpg

pb180294-L.jpg

pb180295-L.jpg

Safely back in the Hotel and get cleaned up and cooled of that's it for me. I have been pushing myself to the limit, I was ready to throw in the towel after the HM trail, my hand is still really sore after a couple more off’s in the sand, I'm limping, my heads cut and I'm finished.

Myself and Don went and had some nice food and a bottle of red, it had been a real eye look into a mappers world I had enjoyed and made a new friend in Don, he's great company and a trail riding king, he wasn't even sweating.

Don agreed I had earned my Bronze trail-riding badge, which means a lot to me, is it in the post Don?

Sleep.... :RO

Steve, Yes that was some fantastic fun exploring, Of course that was special excitement for me, as the first time I tried to find those temples was many years ago, 1994-5 to be exact.
Things weren't so friendly in those days as there was plenty of VT loggers and the Army did not want any strangers wandering around!
Great fun riding there with you Steve, lets do it again this year.
Temple road,
temple-road.jpg
Attractive "Sow" of Ban Por
road-14.jpg
kid-face.jpg
village-stop.jpg

Thanks for the comments gentlmen... :DD

Last part I promise

It's another early start, Dons heading of on his own today and I'm calling it a day my poor old body has had enough and I really have punished my damaged hand to far. After some breakfast Don heads of and I'm left there thinking about the last couple of weeks, it's been amazing but has certainly taken it's toll on me, my thumb although getting X rays in Thailand is still giving me problems and my big toe nail has just fell of, I'm reminded of this trip everyday of the week.

After a breakfast and a shower I'm feeling much better I still have another 10 days in Asia should I head to Thailand and grab some R&R? Or stay in Laos. I start looking through my waypoints in my trustee GPS, jeez there is so much I haven't seen yet.

Damn it's only 8.30 am I'm feeling great big change of plan I'm going to ride another day, I just don't know when to stop

I decide a quick hop down to Attapue to see the Sam missiles, stay there overnight and see what happens in the morning....

It's a beautiful morning in Pakse and this looks like an easy day with lots of tarmac, how wrong I was:oops2:

Here is the route in black

last-day-map-M.jpg

Suns shining :D

pb180298-L.jpg

I head south for a about 50k's then it's a quick left onto the 18a, it's not long before I've encounter the worst road I've ever ridden, broken tarmac, thick dust and great big craters, the dust is like fog and there is a lot of traffic.

A little further up the traffic clears and the forest starts as does the water crossings.

pb180301-L.jpg

Not much to worry about here I've had 2 weeks training on the Hochi Minh trail, it starts to get more remote but I'm still up beat. Lots of little villages but I'm not stopping today I want to get to my destination quickly and have a relaxing evening with a few beers, it's at this point that the day changes.

pb180303-L.jpg

This is deep fast and super slippery and the ferryboat is not there.

I walked it and decided it was to much, the rocks where like ice the water up to my jewels in places with a really strong current I could not do this on my own, one slip and I'm in real trouble. Contemplating my future a guy comes over and says he will show me the way, so I watch him walk it and remember his route, that's him in the middle, my turn

I ask a couple of kids to walk either side at the back and help the guide was upfront showing me the way, in we go and its got a few things puckering up.

:helpsmilie:

I made it, gave the kids a few kip, the guide would take no money so I pressed on :D :D

pb180311-L.jpg

pb180312-L.jpg

Onwards up the trail and more water.

pb180315-L.jpg

I have to wait until the tractors pass, the slop is so slippery I have to help them push, in return one of the guys walks back across showing me which way to go, this is one is the deepest with the water half way up the barrel, power it trough praying I make it, then it's up the slope sliding all over the place.... made it

View from the other side

pb180316-L.jpg

pb180317-L.jpg

Further up the trail and the mud is like poured concrete, I'm getting stuck and it's tough going, I'm covered in mud and having a ball, but it's hard

pb180319-L.jpg

And more water

pb180327-L.jpg

Then I get stuck big time, it's like glue, I have to lay the bike down here and plan my escape, the bike will not move....:helpsmilie:

pb180318-L.jpg

It would take me 30 mins to wrestle the bike out, I had drunk all my water and was really hot next village I would have to re supply. It's getting harder and the fatigue is coming back, I'm thinking I should have stayed in Pakse.

pb180320-L.jpg

I carry on and then hit a deep river, I cannot cross here and there is nobody here to help, before I even think about taking a picture I decide to turn back, I know what to expect, so the plans changed both sides of the travelling alone coin in a instance.

The first village I get to I stock up, once again the village turns out to see the Ting Tong Falang.:funmeteryes:

pb180322-L.jpg

pb180323-L.jpg

pb180325-L.jpg

pb180326-L.jpg

At was at this point I checked my phone, I had got 2 messages, 1st from Don at 9am saying 'get outta bed and ride', if only he knew, 2nd was from Sam he was still in Pakse and wondered what I was doing, he did not bother going down to Kong island with the others and had relaxed for a few days, so here we go again with a plan change....:D

The new plan was to go back to Pakse dump the bike and head back up to Vientiane on the overnight bus with Sam. The bike would follow me the next day on the top of the bus for $30, I didn't fancy 500ks of tarmac and the bus had beds on it, great.

I slept all the way and we arrived about 8am and headed for a Hotel, Don had phoned and said his bike had broken and that he was making the same trip up as me, he also sorted out some confusion with my bike and ensured it would be with me soon.

pb190334-L.jpg

Not much damage considering I fell on this side at least 15 times. Brilliant bike no problems not even a puncture in 2487 K'ms, other than check the oil daily and kick the tyres I did nothing to the bike. Great service from remote Asia (Jim), whose bikes are maintained by Fuark to high standards.

KTM-Chris-XL.jpg

So that's it for me on the bike, time to stop and fix my broken body, it's been the hardest thing I have ever done, travelling alone on the first bit was awesome it really challenged me and being honest I don't really remember so much about it other than it was very remote and some times scary, I tried to enjoy those moments rather than panic.

Back in Vientiane the troops where reassembling, all the other Aussies where headed back as well as Don, time for some fun without bikes.

IMG2161-L.jpg

Sam and I headed for the war Museums.

pb190400-L.jpg

pb190408-L.jpg

The inside was closed? So I wandered round the back.

pb190422-L.jpg

Lots to see
pb190419-L.jpg

pb190405-L.jpg

We met up with all the other guys and hung out for a few days until we all shipped out, I went to Thailand to visit the folks then onto Chaing Mia and finally a beach in Hau Hin.

What a trip, made some good friends scared the poo out myself and a whole new world was opened up to me, Laos is a stunning place with such friendly people, a forgotten place in many ways that has played such a big part in our western life's today, yet most people have never heard of the place.

Craig and I where left gobsmacked about Laos, so much so that we wanted to go back, so we are quitting the Jobs and heading out to Laos in November for 6 months to try and aid some good causes, more details on the website.

I can bang on forever about Laos but I have to wind this story up so another can unfold, thanks for all the comments and views I will be sure to use RA once we get back on the trails.

Riding Laos for good causes

Ps: Ur all welcome to come ride with us! :RO

2wheels said:
Very nice Steve. :DD

I have a feeling we will meet up in Laos during November.

Thanks 2W, I arrive in Thailand on the 4th November, Chumpae will be our Thia residents for the Southern part of the trip, hope to be in Laos ASAP and Laboy is to be our first destination, be great to hook up and ride some trails.... :RO

kid-L.jpg

:DD

That's a cunning way to keep your report up the top of the list, just take 6 months to finish it. I might try that next time.
Good to see it all now, looks like the south may be a destination to head to one day. People say flat lands are boring but it doesn't look like it.

Didn't know there was any time limits set on posts here at RA.

I'll keep it short and sweet from now on Pounce...

Enjoyed the trip report very much - must have been a great trip solo as well as with MM. By the way, Rd 18 where you failed to reach Attapeu, will be upgraded and in 3 year time should be paved with bridges so, if you want to conquer it, you should not wait too long.

Nice report, great photos ..... what kind of maps are you using? Old fashion map and GPS?
This as I am planning a trip from Central Laos to south Laos, on a heavy Versys so I need a bit kind of road at least (no jungle trails)
I am planning to take my time and make side-trips and at the end cross border to Cambodia.

Chang Noi

That map is only for Garmin right? I am using an Iphone (in a waterproof and rugged case) .... Kaart Data LLC is making a Laos map.
Actually considering to buy an Garmin Zumo or Nuvi40 (huge price difference).

Chang Noi

That map is only for Garmin right? I am using an Iphone (in a waterproof and rugged case) .... Kaart Data LLC is making a Laos map.
Actually considering to buy an Garmin Zumo or Nuvi40 (huge price difference).

Chang Noi

Right it's for Garmin...

Buy a Garmin dude..the map is a must, the detail is immense right down to fuel drums in the middle of no where..

Phil sells them at riders corner and midnite mapper sells gps's

Rideasia...your one stop shop

Happy trails

DSCF0478-L.jpg

The guys with the thumbs up bought the map :RO

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Laos Ride Reports 5