Loation dreams..

Steve Canyon

Bikes
SMT990
Well after a year of dreaming I'm finally here...........

2 days of travelling I'm here I'm Laos, first impressions look good......already seen a few prang up's ...Oh dear :lol3

Having one day in VT and I'm heaing for the hills... :RO

Hm trail is top of my list, Monday AM that's where I'm heading for a couple of weeks then it's up north....

If your out there, be real nice to bump into you...I will be braodcasting my location via Facebook inc spot messanger...

:DD

Chris -

Midnight Mapper is down on the HM trail (Laos side) now.

I'll Pm you his email maybe you can hook up with him.

Ktm Chris said:
fantastic,,,,,,,,,

Chris MM was some where near Thateng yesterday looking at a new Hydro project, the map below will give you a rough idea of where he is

where is Don in south Laos.jpg

Hooked up with him last night in Pakse.....got a lesson in how to use the gps card....., 1500ks into the trip and resting up today..

The rides over for me......what atrip..

Ride report when I get fast connection... :MJ

Should be in Vientiane on Thursday evening and Friday the whole day and would nice to meet up somewhere. I am planning to go south but, depending on my work not yet sure where I will be heading on Saturday 24 December.

Well I'm back home so the trip is complete. I'm proud of what I have done and humbled buy what I have seen. People always ask me why do you do it, I don't really know, the fact I travel alone seems to mystify them even more, I hope this report will turn up all the answers...

Are you scared of nothing? this was the last thing the Wife said to me before she stamped my months Kitchen pass...I would remember these words at various times of the trip.

Seemed strange that my trip into Laos would start at Udorn as this is where most of the Planes in the Secret war would be based, I did not plan this but hey great place to start. Over the Fence and into Laos, the Visa was obtained buy going to 3 different windows all manned buy the same person, slightly amusing for me, the Visa was sorted,a lao guy came over and offered me Taxi into town..meet Mr H, he was a Diamond.

PB060096-L.jpg

I had no Hotel booked and asked him to help me find me one..

PB060139-L.jpg

This would work out to be a good choice, my bike as being delivered the next day at 5pm so I booked him to take me sight seeing around the capital for the day, 9am start so an early night for me. I woke up at midday and he was still waiting so we set of for a trip around the Temples and museums and a spot of shopping.

This is the first King of Laos 15 century I'm told..

PB060083-L.jpg

Here's a random selection of Vientiane, quiet beautiful

PB060100-L.jpg

A little Champ De Elysée

PB060109-L.jpg

This looked like a good place for a few prayers for a safe trip

PB060123-L.jpg

PB060126-L.jpg

PB060121-L.jpg

This was the Laos peoples museums, very interesting but no photo's allowed

PB060128-L.jpg

We had a full day out and returned to the Hotel to collect the bike. :RO

The bike arrived early, I had hired it from remote Asia, Jim the rep guy spent a considerable length of time going over the bike and filling me in with the what not do in Laos. I had a fully equipped tool kit,3 spare inner tubes,lever,cables,spark plugs, I had bought some tools but know I had a complete set, he even gave me a Laos sim card and asked me to report in every couple of days, thanks Jim, I now had a friend in Laos..

I was ready for the off first thing in the morning, I was also a Millionaire Several times over, at last..in Kip.

PB060138-L.jpg

I decided an early night get the gear all prepared and set of bright and early. I had lots of way points saved in the GPS, the level of information on this Laos Sd card was amazing, I would get to meet the guy who mapped all this.

After sorting the kit I had dinner and went to my room and watched the Kings of Thailand birthday celebrations on the TV, I can only liken the scenes on the TV to that of the Pope when he's out and about, I was moved by there devotion to him, Long live the king.

About11 pm I heard a lot of shouting out side and though that fight must be under way, I'm not getting out of bed for that I thought, then the noise escalated and I could here the fear in peoples voices, I jumped out of bed only to see a man running down the stairs into the court yard holding a gun, he ran into the road and then there was a massive yellow flash and bang, he started to fire shots into the Bar, people started fleeing the place like rats leaving a sinking ship, more shots fired and then it moves out of my view to the front of the bar, more shots lots of noise, after about 5 minutes all was quiet, 2 guys came running back round to the back of the bar, washed of a couple of Machetes and took them inside. no police came...it was at this point I thought of my wife's comment "are you scared of nothing"....yeah guns GULP. :MG

You really covered some off-road distance in the time you were there, in fact more than anyone i know, great riding Chris.

Gonna need a new bike now.. :LOL

ktmchris-selling-M.jpg

(Photo MM)

This is the planned route for the day, I just wanted to get down to the trails and get used to riding in Laos, there was one stop on the way, other then that I was just taking in the scenery...

R1-L.gif

The view

PB070162-L.jpg

PB070171-L.jpg

PB080186-L.jpg

PB080184-L.jpg

My first stop....Sam Missle...

PB070155-L.jpg

PB070158-L.jpg

PB070159-L.jpg

PB070157-L.jpg

This was tucked in behind a building, never would have found it without the GPS, there are a few of these sites around Laos. I arrived here quiet early so I had some lunch and then headed for what I considered the start of my Journey...The Ho Chi Minh Trail.

This was it....

PB070167-L.jpg

With the warning signs

PB070166-L.jpg

This is where the Tarmac ends for most of the trip....

Awesome pics mate!!
Nice trip as well, I am jealous!!

Do you or anyone else perhaps have a Laos map with the Lima sites marked out??

Cheers,
Hassman

Hassman said:
Awesome pics mate!!
Nice trip as well, I am jealous!!

Do you or anyone else perhaps have a Laos map with the Lima sites marked out??

Cheers,
Hassman

Thanks Hass, there all marked on the Laos Gps Map..... :RO

12 Months of planning and the moment has arrived, I'm about to ride the Ho Chi Minh. There is so much History woven into it's 6000Km's plus of trails. It was under construction long before the Vietnam war and would grow much bigger as the war went on, whilst this was going on there was a secret war going on in Laos. The trails where vital to the war in the South and where bombed beyond belief, and now I get to go ride some of it.

How hard can it be? what did the wife say?

Afternoon Trail

R2-L.gif

I really had no idea what I was letting myself in for.... :WTF

One last look behind and where off

PB070170-L.jpg

PB080179-L.jpg

This is great..

PB080178-L.jpg

Taking my time, taking it in..

PB070175-L.jpg

PB080189-L.jpg

PB080187-L.jpg

PB080190-L.jpg

And then the bike starts to slow down.....:confused1:

PB080177-L.jpg

Easy fix and lesson no 1 learnt

PB080183-L.jpg

Back on the road...

PB080184-L.jpg

Nice Bridge..

PB070173-L.jpg

PB070172-L.jpg

It was good day and i was just about to do my first ever water crossing..:clap:

Here she is..

PB080192-L.jpg

PB080193-L.jpg

PB080195-L.jpg

That was a big moment and I had come through it well, it may well of only been a puddle but it was a great warm up for what was to come. There were a few special places along the route, choke points, craters and some weird landscape. With all this fun It had taken me a long time to get to the road leading up to the Mi Gua pass, the wind had really started howling and after 1 gust nearly blew me of the road, I decided to make a break for the nearest Hotel, it had been a good day and I didn't want to spoil it with any heroism.

I had to double back on myself last night to find a place to stay, about 50k's, so I was up early and would give the Mi Gua pass another crack..

A nice looking morning..and the fast route back to MG Pass

PB080203-L.jpg

Chatting up the Girls...

PB080215-L.jpg

PB080205-L.jpg

PB080209-L.jpg

A great way to start the day..

PB080206-L.jpg

As I got close the wind started to pick up again and the weather started to change..

PB080220-L.jpg

As I hit the bottom of the climb up it was blowing a Gail, raining hard and bloody cold...the wind is blowing me every where, I would not make it to the top and felt lucky to get to the bottom safe, so I head back to the trail and start my quest for Ban Laboy ford.
R3-L.gif

It was about 10.30 and just over 100k's, no problem..

Here's a close up of the first section..
R3-CU-L.gif

Looks like a lot of water, this would be no easy day

Ban Laboy ford is supposed to be the most bombed bit of Land in the world, it was a Major crossing for the Vietnamese, there are some photos on the net that show just how much it was Bombed, when bombing over Hanoi was suspended the Bombs where diverted into Laos, long before the B52’s started pounding the place.

The sky was getting angry time to get going.

PB080221-L.jpg

More angry

PB080222-L.jpg

If one of the reasons you do this sort of thing is to find the limit...I can tick that box!!

PB080223-L.jpg

I noticed many cave entrances along the trails through the Mountains but thought it unwise to start poking around in the bushes.

PB080224-L.jpg

The road conditions change all the time, deep ruts,sand,mud,loose gravel and water crossings, I would stop counting them...

PB080227-L.jpg

PB080229-L.jpg

And then I fell off :bash

First thing was to stop the bike as it was revving it’s nuts off, got it back up and looked it over, it was Ok just a broken bark buster, the GPS had come off and the battery cover clip had broken off, I tried it in it’s mount and it’s clipped back in closing the cover tight, this was a very important piece of equipment, it could tell me where I am and could find anything from ATM’s to fuel drums in tiny villages, my friend indeed.

My left thumb was not so good; I left the glove on and got some painkillers from my medicine cabinet Prayed it wasn’t as bad as it felt, all alone in the jungle soon sprung to mind. Best be on your way, time is getting on and I still have a long way to go, the trails snaked up and down and into the Jungle and my thumb hurt like hell, holding on was a problem, using the clutch lever was to painful.

PC110010-L.jpg

The trails got harder and then the water started, this gave me a bit of a shock when I came up to it..

PB080232-L.jpg

I sat and watched the locals for a bit then walked it..

PB080235-L.jpg

This was the shallow end..

PB080234-L.jpg

It had been graded to a degree but there was some big holes and rocks that had to be avoided, here we go..

No problem, with a sense of relief I pressed on, this would be next...

PB080237-L.jpg

PB080239-L.jpg

I would need to use the boat..

This was a little scary as the boat rocked from one side to the other..:helpsmilie:

PB080240-L.jpg

Off the other side and back into the Jungle

Bomb Craters everywhere..

PB080241-L.jpg

I met this guy coming out of the bush, scrap metal hunter..

PB080243-L.jpg

PB080244-L.jpg

Brave chap to go poking around in there..

PB080245-L.jpg

We didn't understand each other but a few smiles is enough, the trails didn't let up and more water, I stopped counting them buy now..

PB080246-L.jpg

walk it first, I'm soaked..

PB080248-L.jpg

PB080247-L.jpg

Another crossing and my confidence is growing..then another..

PB080249-L.jpg

Walk it first..
PB080251-L.jpg

Time was not on my side it was taking ages, the trails was just relentless, then I hit this little bit of mud and the front wheel just dug in and I'm off again..

PB090252-L.jpg

This time I'm stuck, the handle bar has sunk right into the mud and the bike stuck, switch the fuel off and collect my thought, my thumb is screaming at me now, I physically cannot move the bike.. :|

Two locals turn up and I'm rescued...

PB090253-L.jpg

They got stuck and it was my turn to help them..they had pigs in the sacks on the bike, thanks fellas..

PB090255-L.jpg

The bikes ok..

PB090256-L.jpg

I'm not going to make Ban Laboy tonight so set a route for the nearest guest house.

PB090257-L.jpg

The trail was still hard..the kids where hiding from me..

PB090259-L.jpg

PB090260-L.jpg

Soon it was all over and the guest house had rooms

PB100284-L.jpg

Thank god for that. It had been an epic day..my feet where like prunes..

PB090265-L.jpg

I had made it.

It was great to clean up and get a chance to check my thumb out, I was getting worried that I might have to rest up until it got better but nothing was broken so the trip must go on, I had plenty of painkillers.

I looked at my GPS and found a place that said best food in town, walked up there and got stuck into some food washed down with a couple of beer Laos. I talked to a young lady who worked in the Goldmine up the road, my motto is Talk to anybody that will listen, you never now who your going to meet, made some great friends over the years doing this, it would turn out that I would soon make some more.

Before I went to bed I checked all the kit and made ready for a late start back up to Ban Laboy, I had lost my water filter, must have came off when I crashed, bugger. I planned to stay here 2 nights and do short Journeys for a couple of days, go see some war stuff.

IMG2321-L.jpg

I was up at 10 am and headed back up the road to get some breakfast, I saw 4 Farangs in a Bike shop and we said hello, they where having bike problems, they had a lot of them. They where doing the HM trails and had been up at the MG pass the morning I didn’t make it up, they had travelled to the same place as me but buy a different route. I told them that I was going back to BL and they where up for it, lets go fellas

With all the messing around that occurs when you are in a group we didn’t set of until just after 1, I was already getting worried about the time. These guys apart from 1 had lots of experience; they had ridden in Laos, Cambodia and rode dirt back in Australia.

Meet the Thunder from Down under.

PC160253-L.jpg

The Sarge (Doug)
He was the group leader and had planned the routes, itinerary. Even for me….

DSCF0344-L.jpg

Harold steptoe (Graham)
Good rider, quiet bloke that also loves the war stuff. Great riding with you.

DSCF0298-L.jpg

Buddha Craig (Craig)
The calm man, we laughed man…even though you picked on me…

DSCF0401-L.jpg

Uncle Sam. (Sam)
The wisdom you bought to the Table was inspiring, a great man indeed.

PC080132-L.jpg

With kind permission from the above, these are some of the photos they had taken on route.

PC080144-L.jpg

PC080143-L.jpg

Glad I didn’t go that way.

PC080141-L.jpg

Locals waiting for it to go wrong....

PC080137-L.jpg

Jeez man

PC080140-L.jpg

it went wrong

Bridge.jpg

fantastic stuff....They thought they had a hard day!!!

Today's ride would see that change

We set of for BL I’m leading the group, promotion already hey, this was one hard trail. It would take us 2hrs to go 30k’s I had done it the day before, and was loving it second time round I knew what to expect, I even new where the big rocks where in the river crossing. I’m having a ball.

PC090172-L.jpg

PC090170-L.jpg

IMG2084-L.jpg

IMG2085-L.jpg

IMG2086-L.jpg

We arrived at this village; I had passed through yesterday but not seen all the old bomb casings lying around. These trails didn’t leave much time for sight seeing; it was 100% concentration all the time, time to stop and have a look around. We where amazed to find all this just laying around, the scrap value must be good, I’m told that 3-4 years ago we would have seen much more, every now and again a big 6 wheel drive truck would come through the villages and buy it from them.

PC090159-L.jpg

PC090160-L.jpg

PC090161-L.jpg

PC090163-L.jpg

PC090168-L.jpg

PC090166-L.jpg

IMG2090-L.jpg

IMG2089-L.jpg

IMG2094-L.jpg

Buy this time we still had 15k’s to go, once again I would not make BL, it would be dark on the way back and the trails where to nasty to start taking risks, so we spent some money in the local store and decided to head back to the hotel, we managed this just before the sun went down.

A few last shots of the village..

PB100281-L.jpg

Beautiful kids

PB100283-L.jpg

PB100282-L.jpg

We had some food and few beers and reflected on our day..

Doug had written about his trip, this is what he said about our trip to BL

"we met Chris, a Pom on the same mission, heading south on HCMTrail. Chris had a GPS(Gizmo), so after Sam’s bike was fixed, we decided on a short tour to a village, 20km out, that holds the title of the ‘Most Bombed Place’ on earth. 10km from town we turned into a goat track, for the next 20km(1.5hrs) it really was ‘Hell on Two Wheels’, deep ruts, mud, sand, deep rocky water crossings, and yep more offs, we still had to get back yet! We came across bombs, even used as gluts to stack timber on, of varying shapes and sizes scattered throughout a 4-5 hut village"

It was the hardest couple of days I had ever had on a bike, this was another planet. I was Exhausted, I struggled with the heat all the time I was drinking loads but it came out as quick as I put it in, I had gained a lot of respect for the trails there not to be taken lightly any thing could happen out here.

Survival gear was a must. I had bought with me.

Hammock
Spot messenger/Whistle/Compass/Mobile phone X2/GPS
Medical Kit/Hydration packs
Camel back/water filter/Food.
Fire lighting Equipment.
Rope saw/4 meter ratchet strap/Swiss army knife.

We where all worn out, but happy with what we had seen. The Villages are some thing else, no Electric it’s like going back in time, the rivers where used to bathe and catch food, life hasn’t really changed that much for them, they still have to put up with all the Legacies of the Secret War. Children run and hide from you as you come tearing round a bend on a big dirt bike dressed up like a storm troopers, they dart straight into the bushes where all the UXO are some are terrified of you others just stare, but It’s never long before there smiling.

PC080136-L.jpg

PC080133-L.jpg

Even the local bike wash..
PC080135-L.jpg

Food as well
DSCF0270-L.jpg

DSCF0272-L.jpg

DSCF0275-L.jpg

The day had left us all with a lot to think about.bier

Tomorrow would be a frustrating day for me, the great thing about travelling alone is you can do what you like when you like, my plans always change, half the time I'm lost and half the time I don't care. The good thing about travelling in a group is you have people to share the experiences with, and lots more photos

Hi Chris/Steve (these names get me mixed up),

Jeez, what a ride - I really enjoyed the pictures and the story - while reading it I got jealous as I am in a truck and can't go where you guys go on 2 wheels. But, at 65 I don't want to fall of a bike anymore - did that a lot (falling off) when I was quite a bit younger and learned my lesson that 2 wheels were probably not made for me. Anyway, the next time I am in that area I will steer the old truck in that direction and see how far I can go.

KTMphil said:
Absolutely fantastic Chris, I admire what you did on your own, a real adventure

Lone Rider said:
Hi Chris/Steve (these names get me mixed up),
Jeez, what a ride - I really enjoyed the pictures and the story - while reading it I got jealous as I am in a truck and can't go where you guys go on 2 wheels. But, at 65 I don't want to fall of a bike anymore - did that a lot (falling off) when I was quite a bit younger and learned my lesson that 2 wheels were probably not made for me. Anyway, the next time I am in that area I will steer the old truck in that direction and see how far I can go.

It was a real eye opener fellas, harder than I ever imagined, going back for more, thanks for your comments...

The next morning I checked out of the Guest house early and headed up to where the aussies where staying, we where heading for a place called Ban Dong Doug was leading the group.

Route-4.gif

The Ladies where already out selling, it was a cold Morning
PB100289-L.jpg

Always happy.
PB100291-L.jpg

Nobody told me that we where looking for a bank and beings it was Saturday, they where closed, We where informed that there was bank open on the Laos-Vietnamese border, so we headed up and found what we where looking for. Only ANZ cash points would work with our plastic.

PB100299-L.jpg

The Border
PC100201-L.jpg

It was after lunch and we decided to look at a couple of things on the GPS, war scrap and a museum.

PC110223-L.jpg

PB110355-L.jpg

PB110359-L.jpg

PC110222-L.jpg

PB100300-L.jpg

PB100302-L.jpg

PB100304-L.jpg

PB100307-L.jpg

PB100309-L.jpg

PB100308-L.jpg

PB100311-L.jpg

PB100313-L.jpg

PB100314-L.jpg

DSCF0391-L.jpg

PB100312-L.jpg

The museum was closed because some minister was on his way and they where slaughtering a cow in order to celebrate the event, Doug was the bravest and took the photo they where also drinking the blood, not my cup of Tea.

PC100183-L.jpg

Not a great day for me so I decided tomorrow would be my last day with the group Doug had little or no time for listening to anybody else’s suggestion and I didn’t want to rock the good ship Australia.

I had been given a number of a person I had never met, we had spoke over another Forum and I was excited to go meet him, he was in the pakxe Area Mapping, this was the guy who made mapped all the Date on my SD card,

We had a few beers and planned tomorrows day…

DSCF0395-L.jpg

Doug with the map, me with the GPS

DSCF0396-L.jpg

Turned out the GPS gets the vote, we are heading back down the HM trail Via the cobblestones I have set a final destination as a guest house about a 100k’s away in a village called Taoy and would let the gizmo do its thing.

Route-5.gif

Gassed up and ready,Another epic day was about to begin, this little girl would not look at us..think she was a bit frightened of us

PC110205-L.jpg

PB110321-L.jpg

We headed for the cobblestones on the trail, it was a nice easy start.

PC110207-L.jpg

PB110324-L.jpg

View from the Bridge.
PB110328-L.jpg

PB110327-L.jpg

Old fuel cells discharged from planes and turned into boats..

PB110325-L.jpg

Local traffic.
PB110329-L.jpg

Beautiful day
PB110331-L.jpg

This section of HM’s trail has been fenced of to preserve it, the Vietnamese where all over the Expon,Tchepone area which we had passed through yesterday a very busy area with reports of Russian Helicopters making deliveries at night. Pilots who had returned from sortie’s over Vietnam and where unable to drop there bombs because of bad weather would need to get rid of there bombs before landing, no prizes for where the ended up. The trails where getting hammered, but a huge amount of personnel and equipment destined for the South Vietnam would make it through the trails, it was essential to the war effort the trails stayed open.

PB110334-L.jpg

still smiling.
PB110336-L.jpg

PB110340-L.jpg

PB110342-L.jpg

This place is steeped in History.

PB110343-L.jpg

PB110347-L.jpg

PB110346-L.jpg

Village life as normal here, I wonder if the kids understood what it was all about.
PB110348-L.jpg

PB110350-L.jpg

PB110349-L.jpg

PB110353-L.jpg

PB110352-L.jpg

PB110351-L.jpg

PB110335-L.jpg

We had some breakfast in the Village and set of with time still on our side, the trail got harder and harder water crossings one after the other. You never knew what to expect as you went down the blind slopes to the river, it was always a surprise and some times a relief. Some times it felt like tunnels as you went into the jungle and would pop back out a little upstream of the crossing and ride across to the other side.

Steve Canyon said:
The trails got harder and then the water started, this gave me a bit of a shock when I came up to it..

PB080232-L.jpg

No problem, with a sense of relief I pressed on, this would be next...

PB080237-L.jpg

PB080239-L.jpg

I would need to use the boat.

Last week I was more or less in the same area and there is quite a difference in the crossings even though the time difference is only about 5 weeks or so. The first river crossing looked quite something at first sight but when I drove just around the cornere I found that I would not get wet at all.

River Crossing 2a.jpg

River Crossing 1.jpg

The other river was also considerable lower and I could just drive through - walked it first and although it was not deep (less than 50 cm.) there were so many big boulders under water that I lost count and sight of them so I just went for it.

River Crossing 2.jpg

That looks a whole lot easier..... :RO

Even more reason to return... :DD

How far up the trail did you go??

Started from Thakhek and then headed east on Rd 12. From there I went south to Boualapha and the pictures were taken on this stretch. From Boualapha went west, then south and then again east till the Sepon Mine (Vilabury) where I had dinner at the same place where you spent the night (Bounhome GH and Restaurant). From Vilabury I headed to the Vietnam Border on Rd 9, then south to Nong and finally west to Savannakhet as duty called and I had to be in Champhone district early next morning to look at pig farms. To much work to do at the moment but look forward to head in that direction again as soon as can find some time.

Lone Rider said:
Started from Thakhek and then headed east on Rd 12. From there I went south to Boualapha and the pictures were taken on this stretch. From Boualapha went west, then south and then again east till the Sepon Mine (Vilabury) where I had dinner at the same place where you spent the night (Bounhome GH and Restaurant). From Vilabury I headed to the Vietnam Border on Rd 9, then south to Nong and finally west to Savannakhet as duty called and I had to be in Champhone district early next morning to look at pig farms. To much work to do at the moment but look forward to head in that direction again as soon as can find some time.

Looks like we just missed you Auke in Vilabury. We arrived there on Saturday night. I left there on Sunday afternoon for Pakse and Justin and Frank were planning on heading to Saravahn on Monday via Rd. 23.

BWG950S said:
Lone Rider said:

Looks like we just missed you Auke in Vilabury. We arrived there on Saturday night. I left there on Sunday afternoon for Pakse and Justin and Frank were planning on heading to Saravahn on Monday via Rd. 23.

I heard you went with them Jim, are they in Cambodia now?

Phil,

The last I heard they were only planning Saravahn, Attapeau then onto Pakse. Out through Chong Mek and train the bikes to Bangkok out of Ubon. But like all plans are subject to change.

Lone Rider said:

Great going LR, you didn't find my gloves by any chance at the Restaurant :LOL

Onwards up the HM trail..

DSCF0402-XL.jpg

DSCF0403-XL.jpg

We had off’s, mechanicals, and moments of utter amazement I was really enjoying being up the front and felt a sense of responsibility especially as the Gizmos reputation was at stake and therefore mine and England’s.

Lets go
DSCF0404-L.jpg

One of many crossings.
PC110024-L.jpg

This was a nasty one with lots of big rocks and deep water in parts.
PC110026-L.jpg

PC110027-L.jpg

PC110028-L.jpg

PC110029-L.jpg

This next one was spectacular, as I went down the ramp I knew it would be a big crossing due to the angle of the slope, when I hit the bottom I couldn't believe my eyes.
PB110360-L.jpg

270 Meters of bamboo, once the traffic cleared I shot across it and waited for the others.
PB110362-L.jpg

PB110364-L.jpg

PB110365-L.jpg

PB110368-L.jpg

PB110369-L.jpg

All across lets go.
PB110363-L.jpg

As we rode the ramp up into the Village there was a toll, but once inside the village gates it really was a step back in time.
PC110233-L.jpg

IMG2131-L.jpg

Cold.
IMG2132-L.jpg

PC110236-L.jpg

DSCF0452-L.jpg

PC110235-L.jpg

PC110237-L.jpg

DSCF0449-L.jpg

After some rocks,mud and jungle.
IMG2134-L.jpg

PC110011-L.jpg

Look what I found
PC110008-L.jpg

Then onto the next one, this would be a challenge as the centre of the bridge was missing, the water was to deep so we had to bridge the gap. This guy was on the bridge as we arrived.

PC110030-L.jpg

PC110031-L.jpg

We helped him a cross and then tried to work out how we lift them over.

PC110033-L.jpg

PC110032-L.jpg

Then a guy turned up from the local village, he said he could fix the bridge and we could cross for a small fee, we agreed and he ran of into the bush and came out with a metal plate, placed it over the hole and across we went, he then removed it.

PC110034-L.jpg

Then on the way up the ramp we have our first problem.
PC110035-L.jpg

PC110037-L.jpg

Team work required, the throttle cable has snapped and he doesn't have a spare , Oh dear
IMG2143-L.jpg

Lucky I have one.
IMG2145-L.jpg

As we fixed the bike Doug had a rest.
IMG2147-L.jpg

IMG2146-L.jpg

IMG2149-L.jpg

An old Russian army Vehicle.
PC110038-L.jpg

PC110040-L.jpg

PC110041-L.jpg

The Group.
DSCF0478-L.jpg

This is fun
PC110001-L.jpg

More water?, down the slope to find out, think we had to pay for this one as well.
PC110003-L.jpg

The old bridge was gone, perhaps bombed, view from the other side.
DSCF0459-L.jpg

DSCF0460-L.jpg

DSCF0461-L.jpg

DSCF0463-L.jpg

PC110005-L.jpg

DSCF0470-L.jpg

And back on the trail.
PC110007-L.jpg

A couple more hard bits and little chain trouble
PC110238-L.jpg

DSCF0455-L.jpg

We arrived at our destination and it had taken 10-hours to do little over 100k's it had been a brutal day, a few more injury's picked up but we made it what a brilliant day the sense of achievement was brilliant.:D

Cheers Fellas.
PC110051-L.jpg

Our residents for the night were not much no shower just a big bucket of water and a scoop; think we all passed on that as we did the toilet. We found a little place to eat up the road, Craig broke out his bottle of ouzo and we got a little pissed, Doug was sorting out tomorrows route, I had told them I was heading for Paxse and they decided to head that way to, no need to go alone.

PB120383-L.jpg

PB120382-L.jpg

Just a hard bed and a mozzie net.
PB120381-L.jpg

The next morning we where up before the sun and waiting for the Café to open, it was a beautiful morning so we had a little look about, no rush today which was nice. We where hoping to get to Paxse tonight.

PC120053-L.jpg

PB120384-L.jpg

The Moon was still out.
PB120387-L.jpg

Here she comes.
PB120386-L.jpg

PB120390-L.jpg

PB120388-L.jpg

PB120389-L.jpg

PB120391-L.jpg

Village life is under way.
PB120394-L.jpg

Kids of to School.
PB120393-L.jpg

We went to have a look at the school, very basic, but lot's of happy children.
PB120395-L.jpg

Although they seemed a little scared of us and run away
IMG2156-L.jpg

And hid, we can see you.
PB120398-L.jpg

Or not bothered.
PB120397-L.jpg

Doug had panned the route, I was already fed up with management style and today I would reach my limit, this is why I travel alone. These sort of ride tests more than your machine. We arrived at the left turn described by the man in the Bar last night (Telecom Tower) my Gps says straight on, we go left and 10k’s later the road splits, left or right? Doug ask’s me what way the Gizmo said, I told him “back to the Tower and turn left”, “going back was not an option” he barked like it was my fault, F**k off was my reply and with that I dropped the bike into gear nodded at the others and f****d of, jeez man don’t talk to me like that.

Back on my own again emotions where high and I was free, no more problems in my life until I started to feel bad about leaving Sam behind, he been trying to stop me as I left the group waving his arms at me, aaahhh shit. I decided to wait at the Tower for 20 mins; if they didn’t show up I would carry on regardless. As I waited I heard the sound of bikes coming up the trail, Doug was first and he made his way over to me and told me that they had voted 3-1 to go with what the gps said, it had not let us down so far.

Turned out to be a little stretch of graded sand then some tarmac, it was a welcome break from the trail.
PB120399-L.jpg

We ambled along until we hit a town and started looking for somewhere to have lunch, this wasted a lot of time as well.
PB120405-L.jpg

PB120402-L.jpg

PB120406-L.jpg

PC150169-L.jpg

PC130054-L.jpg

IMG2170-L.jpg

Tensions where high that day we got about half before we all had enough and decided to park it for the day, later that evening we all hooked up to see what was going on, for me it was easy I was going to Paxse. Sam had reached his limit and wanted to go to Paxse and rest up, Craig wanted to buy a GPs card of my friend Doug and Graham would go to Attapue and then go onto meet the other’s in Kong Island in a few days, no problem, off to bed.

Hope tomorrow is better:funmeterno:

When I got up in the Morning Doug and Graham had left, the mutineers and myself set sale on a little route I planned the night before, bit of sight seeing.

DSCF0483-L.jpg

I had looked through the GPs and found 2 places of interest, they both had good written in brackets next to the name, no idea what they where, lets go have a look.

route-6.gif

R6-Close-up.gif

We headed of for Tah H Namsai, it was off road the hardest bit was the last climb, nobody had been up here for a while the track was over grown and very slippery in the rocky sections, it was more like a trails ride with no place to stop until you got to the top. On arrival there was a small clearing it was as hot as hell, well worth the effort.

PB130421-L.jpg

IMG2185-L.jpg

The view was stunning
PB130419-L.jpg

PB130413-L.jpg

PB130424-L.jpg

DSCF0516-XL.jpg

DSCF0498-XL.jpg

DSCF0510-L.jpg

We had about 1hr here and headed back down the climb, it was harder than coming up but we had to take the same route back to the road, then it was onto the next place the Tad fan overlook. Sam had a small of and twisted his ankle but was fit to carry on, we travelled well as a team, me waiting at any turns for Craig to catch up, then I would go off again and he would wait for Sam, clockwork.

PB140439-L.jpg

PB130430-L.jpg

PB130428-L.jpg

PB140441-L.jpg

We stopped for some food on route and got one of the best meals I had had for days, these little food places can be gems.

PB130433-L.jpg

We arrived at the next place and new it was another waterfall, once again we where blown away with the views.

PB140445-L.jpg

PB140447-L.jpg

PB140446-L.jpg

PB140444-L.jpg

After a little look around we headed for a Hotel I picked from the Menu. We arrived about 6pm, it had been a fantastic days riding and this was our hotel. Fantastic looking place with great views, Doug phoned to say that there where on the to Pakxe and could we book some rooms. I had already decided that tomorrow I was having a day off, my thumb was still pretty useless and other battle damage was taking it’s toll, time for a rest.

Our hotel.
DSCF0547-XL.jpg

Hot shower...yes..
DSCF0555-L.jpg

DSCF0550-L.jpg

IMG2199-L.jpg

After a clean up I contacted Midnight mapper and invited him and his wife up for dinner, we dined like kings. Craig got his Gps card and also got a lesson in how to use it

DSCF0563-L.jpg

A splendid evening was had by all, tomorrow the Aussies would leave and I would go of with Midnight. It had been great riding with the guys, thank you fellas.:D

Been meaning to finish this report for some time but I've been so busy planning the next trip I never got round to it, now I have time I plan to finish it.

The Aussies I was riding with have headed of on their own and I have met up with Don AKA Midnitemapper. Don's been mapping Laos for the last 10 years and has produced a GPS map with so much detail it's a real riding companion.

The map below is the route from the next 4 days.

Temples-routes-L.jpg

This would be a great incite into how a mapper works...meet Don
Missile-launch-Don-L.jpg

We spent the first day just poking around (yellow route)

temples-day1-L.gif

An easy day, I think don was warming me up for what was coming over the next few days, here is a few shots of our day. Don takes pictures and waypoints of everything of interest. His passion and drive for what he does is remarkable. Wish I had met him 20 years ago.

First up need to fix a puncture.

pb150008-L.jpg

Beauty and the beast
pb150016-L.jpg

Nice bike
pb150011-L.jpg

Old truck
pb150017-L.jpg

pb150018-L.jpg

Over the Mekong and onto the trails.

pb160065-L.jpg

pb160037-L.jpg

pb160021-L.jpg

So may great things to see

pb160049-L.jpg

Irrigation.

pb160054-L.jpg

View from the cockpit

pb160071-L.jpg

Back on the trails

pb160068-L.jpg

The next village was spectacular lots of picture opportunities

pb160075-L.jpg

pb160077-L.jpg

pb160078-L.jpg

Time for a spot of lunch, time to treat the kids.

pb160087-L.jpg

pb160091-L.jpg

pb160088-L.jpg

pb160090-L.jpg

pb160092-L.jpg

pb160083-L.jpg

These people where so nice, so happy..

:RO

Excellent report Steve

I went thru Ta Oi to Nong in 2009 via the eastern loop thru La Beng/La Hap.

Would like to try the way you went next time.

I really enjoyed that report Steve/Chris; thanks for sharing.
Some wonderful pics that captured the essence of Laos, like this one ....

PB080203-L.jpg

... and some mates sharing quality time after a day of riding.

PC110051-L.jpg

:DD

Bill, Phil and two wheels.. :DD

Thanks guys, more to come....... :RO

pb160162-L.jpg

Temples are up next..

An early start was required, I didn't know what Don had in store for me today, it wasn't until we got close that he said we would be looking for an old Temple ruins, this would be our route (green).

temples-day2-L.gif

We where up before the sun and ready to move, a beautiful day was breaking

pb160109-L.jpg

pb160115-L.jpg

pb160131-L.jpg

Don was up even earlier planning the route

pb160112-L.jpg

Today would be hard Don doesn't hang about, the heat today would be immense and I really struggled with it. We stopped at a couple of schools to have a look, the children are so happy.

pb160135-L.jpg

pb160136-L.jpg

Some nice Buddha statues, so well kept

pb160133-L.jpg

Then we got into what I would describe as a desert with trees, damn hot and my first real taste of riding on sand, which was made me even hotter.

pb170170-L.jpg

Don new we where in the general area of the ruins, we just had to find it by riding along the old Khmer ancient road, it was at this point that I realised how lucky I was to do such an adventure, these tracks where 100's of years old and nobody had been in here for a long time, the excitement was mounting as was the heat.

Finally about 3 in the afternoon we get a break and find the Berry (waterhole, not sure about the spelling either)

Don told me that these always East of the temples

pb160137-L.jpg

Park the bikes up have a quick look around the area

pb160138-L.jpg

pb160162-L.jpg

Into the Jungle to try and find the Temple's

Bingo

pb160140-L.jpg

Man I feel like Indiana Jones, you could be 10 feet away from this and not see it
pb160141-L.jpg

We found the wall and start to follow it until we find an opening

pb160158-L.jpg

pb160142-L.jpg

The happiest man alive
pb160157-L.jpg

pb160148-L.jpg

I've never done anything like this before, it's fantastic to see what's been done here and you really get a feeling going back in time.

pb160145-L.jpg

pb160146-L.jpg

More to come...

Awesome..... thoroughly enjoying the report & pics....... many thanks.

Agree; it's a real adventure .... despite the occasional tensions that can occur in group riding.

MartinThai said:
Awesome..... thoroughly enjoying the report & pics....... many thanks.

Thanks Martin :DD

2wheels said:
Agree; it's a real adventure .... despite the occasional tensions that can occur in group riding.

Certainly brings out the best or the worse in people 2 wheels.... :DD

This is the point where my camera started playing up, when we returned to the Baray (is a man made waterhole, used for cleaning oneself and irrigation as well as allowing the Animals to drink)

So this is how It looks today.
pb160163-M.jpg

Don walks the perimeter logging it on his gps
pb160167-M.jpg

pb160164-M.jpg

maybe this is how it looked back in the day.
pb190373-M.jpg

pb190388-M.jpg

My Camera has given up at this point, we spent some time at the site looking around but time was getting on and we had a bit more poking around to do. It was back on the sandy trails, we would encounter a few problems along the way.

pb170173-M.jpg

No chance, so we double back and look for another crossing it's getting dark as well when we did find another crossing it got my attention as the boards where loose :oops2:

Camera is working again!

plank-bridge-M.jpg

Safely across we start looking for some where to eat and sleep, it's pitch black by the time we hit a small village but we find what we think is a Cafe. We enter asking for food, which was no problem the lady knocked up us a bowl of chicken something and noodles, it done the job.

We had done some riding today

temples-day-2-detail-M.jpg

Our arrival in town had caused a stir and people where dropping in to have a look at the ting tong falang, a rather large chap plonked himself down in front of us and fired a few questions into Don. I found him a little bit intimidating but that subsided, turns out he was asking Don what where we doing around here. We decided to stay and get the beers in, buy now we had the head of the village and his right hand men all around the table, out comes the beer and invitation to sleep at the police station....:welcome:.

pb170174-M.jpg

bier

Laos hospitality is great, thank you.

We slept on the balcony and it was damn cold, didnt get much sleep and tomorrow would be another dusk till dawn ride

Great story Steve, That was great fun riding and exploring,
This season I hope to find one more on the Laos side of the border, hope you will be around.

I am still amazed at the change in heart at the village, 2 years prior I rocked up there spent the night outside! The next day the cops told me to get on my horse and go back to were you came from!
Of course I didn't, that was my first attempt at finding those temples from the Laos side, in prior years I searched along the ancient Kymer highways on the Cambodian side. Great fun, hot and sweaty work!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Laos Ride Reports 5