Laos in September

So... getting back on track... after my night with the coffee planters, it was off to Attapeu. "One hour" he said. It took me four. That leg to Attapeu, 250km of which 40 was bitumen, took me 12 hours. 20kph average. It had rained heavily again and the road was damn slippery.... so down went the tyre pressures and I plugged away

163-2.jpg

Lots of diversions like the above to avoid massive bogs. Most were good, but this one got me into trouble.... I took the local's track to the left. The hill is, of course, much steeper than it looks here.

166.jpg

Up near the top, the locals went back onto the track... I couldn't get any traction and the only option was to back down the 100 metres and try the main track... but I dropped it.... at minus 2kph. First drop. I let the last of the air out and with lots of grunting and groaning, 20 minutes later I made it over the top.

168.jpg

I met two locals going the other way not long after that and the conditions were better. I was thankful for them... they'd cut away the trees that had come down overnight.

The road got a lot better... albeit treacherously greasy still. I started to see a lot of this... "Development Road" stuff.

172.jpg

I threw a few litres in... and gave the bike some as well

179-1.jpg

The only thing other than bikes up here were the Russian 6wd trucks... going slow and digging big holes.

180.jpg

Nice views

181-1.jpg

Plenty of rawness in the villages

183-1.jpg

Stopped for a look at another SAM not far from Attapeu

187.jpg

... and enjoyed the luxury of the Attapeu Palace for two nights

186-1.jpg

The plan then was to do the southern loop to Pakse. It rained pretty heavily, as usual and the road out to the first river crossing was wet and sloppy in places

020-3.jpg

It pays to watch where you are going with the bridges. Its 20' down there...

025-3.jpg

and more here

029-7.jpg

These young guys tried to stay ahead of me and paid the price. They drowned it.

035-2.jpg

I showed them how to lift the bike up to drain the exhaust... and left them to sort out the rest of it

037-4.jpg

First river crossing... now a couple of hundred meters from where it used to be

043-4.jpg

It wasn't looking good

045-1.jpg

For once, I would have been better on the Super Enduro. It'll take much deeper water in its stride.

046-2.jpg

I got it out of the stream, but she wasn't going anywhere.... until some local lads came along and helped me push her up to some flat ground.... which wasn't easy btw.

051-3.jpg

She'd gulped some but I drained the carb, cleaned out the airbox and got her where she'd almost keep running before the battery shit itself. I managed to fire her up properly with the kickstart... which wasn't doing my foot much good...

061-3.jpg

Dunno why it was hurting?

Anyhow, I pressed on, trying to reach the village... but dropped into another mudhole and stalled it. Some more locals came along on foot and helped me push her out again... and we decided to push to the village when I couldn't start it again.

That lasted for about 500 metres until it became a bad joke. I pulled the battery and left the bike on the track and we walked and waded the last few km to the village. The lads were carrying my gear at first, but ducked into the jungle and came out with a trolley

055-4.jpg

Plenty of this stuff on the way... with my boot flopping around. The "dry" bits meant I grew about 40mm in height with a layer of clay on the boots... which felt like they weighed half a tonne.

057-4.jpg

We went through two spots where the bike wouldn't have made it....

056-4.jpg

I'll admit to being knackered by the time I got to the village. This is where they lodged me... one of the little "shops" attached to a hut.

073-4.jpg

The locals were welcoming

093-2.jpg

215-1.jpg

The food was good. Giant squirrel

070-6.jpg

Rat

368.jpg

Forest birds

294.jpg

... and plenty of vegetation from the jungle

"Talking" to the locals.... I decided to head back to Attapeu the next day.

My hat off to you as "Highway 18A" from Attapeu to Tangbeng can be difficult at the height of the dry season and you are doing it at the height of the rainy season. I do hope you did buy a spare set of wheel bearings while in Lak Xao as with this amount of mud and water you may need to replace them soon again.

Keep them coming - check this post everyday to see if there are new adventures on your trip to keep us home-sitters amused.

I gave up on 18A, Auke. I stayed overnight in the village of Ban Pindong and then got the battery back onto a solar panel. They'd tried to charge it the afternoon that I'd got there, but when they brought it back to me it only had 11.7 volts. I got it up to 12.7 and left it on charge a while beyond.

It took me until 2pm to convince the locals that I wanted to go back to the bike. We agreed a price and off we went with my gear. One guy, one woman, a girl, a couple of kids and me. They were carrying most of my gear. I wasn't keen on walking it again, even though I'd repaired my boots somewhat

094.jpg

I quite enjoyed my stay at Ban Pindong. Took plenty of photos. I entertained them by showing them photos on the computer. They were fascinated by the ones with me and the tigers down at Kanchanaburi.... and by others from different places, eg with the Komodo Dragons. I showed them some with UXO and got knowing nods. There was, at some time, a wing from a US fighter in this village.... but its long gone apparently. One guy brought these to me and said he'd found them on the ground

083-4.jpg

There were a lot of these ceramic pots around, mostly superceded by bigger plastic bins though

198-1.jpg

I was scaring a few of the kids, but most were OK

186-2.jpg

175.jpg

My hostess was happy, I'd slipped her 100,000 kip for the room and food

193-2.jpg

I'd bought most of the kids an orange juice when I'd arrived.... so they were happy too

194-1.jpg

202.jpg

206-1.jpg

Even the bigger kids hung around. I paid my hostess' 13 year old daughter and her friend for a massage. One of the guys took over and showed them how to do it with his knee.

221.jpg

It being Saturday night... the girls put their war paint on

301.jpg

and got talking to the boys

306.jpg

Eating here is a communal affair. Everyone sits around one bowl with a spoon each... and the dogs wait around outside that one the eating platform until they get a lump of sticky rice. That's the remains of the rodent soup in the bowl

304.jpg

Speaking of rodents.... this guy came in on Sunday morning with plenty of fat rats and a squirrel

364.jpg

.... more later. Got to go extend my visa...

Visa form is lodged.... so I've got another 7 days in Laos before heading into Cambodia.

Back to Ban Pindong

I didn't enquire as to anyone's sexuality... but some boys seemed friendly with boys and some girls with girls. It was all totally open and everyone was happy

360.jpg

Here's another shot of my accommodation. I was in the shop hut. The "kitchen" was just behind it, under the house. "Dad" slept in a hammock there.... not sure if it was to keep an eye on the shop... or an eye on me. The kitchen area was about 4 metres square and there was a fire going the whole time. About 30 people, mainly kids, crowded in around there at night to gawk at me.

358.jpg

A few random shots of and around the village

355.jpg

354.jpg

346.jpg

341.jpg

331.jpg

Heading back to the bike, I'd got my support crew, but I managed to convince the husband of the lady who was wandering around in that tiny bra to get his farm chugger out to take us back. I really didn't want to walk.... the clay was clinging to my boots and building up. We had to float it across one creek and stopped just before another deep one before we got to the bike

102-1.jpg

We carried the bike back through the creek that had drowned it and I paid the crew off and headed back towards Attapeu.

139-3.jpg

156-4.jpg

Even that wasn't easy... I had to drag the bike backwards out of this bamboo and go through the slop. The KTM's a bit taller than the local bikes

161-1.jpg

The main reason I turned tail and ran was I was out of oil. The KTM had got a bellyful and I used all my spare oil replacing this

164-3.jpg

I'd have been OK getting to the village... with assistance. There were the two deep creeks we'd have to carry through... but the villagers told me the road further on was the same. More deep creeks. I'd pretty much have to convince a group of villagers to come the whole way with me.

So... I'll come back and do 18A another time... either with some other riders, or when its drier.

Getting back to Attapeu was easy enough, albeit tiring. It'd rained a lot and rained more on the way. Trucks were bogged everywhere and bike crash marks were common.

173.jpg

171-1.jpg

I bumped into Patricia, a Spanish pharmacist working on a Malaria project who I'd spoken to earlier in the week, up the trail a bit, and had dinner with her at the Palace.

Monday started with another totally collapsed wheel bearing.

338-1.jpg

Luckily they had that size in town. and I got a spare set down from Vientiane, along with brake pads, filter oil, some synthetic oil (5 litres... a change now, a litre to use and a change for the next drowning.... a new IRC knobby and tube. I tried to get a new front sprocket, but couldn't. I had a horrible noise happening on Monday at times, which seems to be the front sprocket. $300 for all the bits.

I headed up the tar towards Pakse, with the thought in mind of doing the Route 16A that branched off and headed to Paksong and then Pakse if it looked OK. I found that and slip slided my way along it for a while. I found a dam construction site along the way

347.jpg

Not very tall, but very wide

I started to get a bit suspicious when the only visible tracks were bikes....

349.jpg

I was having serious doubts when a bad graunching noise... really sounded like metal on metal started.

There was a fabulous waterfall, visible by riding up onto the bank beside the road. It was a couple of hundred feet high at a guess... and absolutely thundering

353.jpg

354-1.jpg

It wasn't the safest perch up there though. These aren't rain ruts... its the start of a landslip. It will probably go in the next big rain. I'd already found out why the trucks had stopped... landslides that had to be ridden over.

355-1.jpg

There's no getting a truck or 4WD over that... certainly not without some winching as just this little bit of it is about 15' up, very steep and slippery, with a very nasty surprise off the edge if you make a mistake... you'd have a long time to consider your departure from the planet on the way down.

I had to dig a few trenches... about 12" deep by the time I'd chugged through

356.jpg

I got through the bad landslips and came back into an area with people

I headed into one of the little villages off the road to try and sort out what was going on with the graunching

358-1.jpg

The lads gave me a hand and a bit of sump oil on the chain quietened it down

365.jpg

368-1.jpg

I headed to Pakse, in a massive rain dump for 50km or so.... and met up with two Aussies, Clarissa and Neil. They are on airhead BMWs - highly modified. A 1000cc and a 650cc.

372.jpg

We made some progress with the bike yesterday. The bus from Vientiane with the parts, oil and tyre was late, of course, but showed up eventually. Neil, who is a mechanic, and I found a bike shop and we set to on it. The bike shop owner, who, of course spoke no English, did the tyre. I supervised while Neil went off to get some baby powder.. It was the first time I've seen the bead broken with a cold chisel and hammer.

The front brake pads were just onto the metal and the rears had about a half mm left. Its almost laughable, but I've retained the rears as "spares". Despite me using engine braking where possible and also having run out of fluid in the front master cylinder.... I rode a couple of days with zero front brake.... I only got from Nakia to Pakse on a brand new set of EBC red front pads. Without spending an hour on Basecamp... I'd guess at maybe 600 to 700 kilometres from brand new to totally gone. The mud here is rather abrasive.... and its deep, so the caliper is in it a lot. The disks are shot too, of course... but they aren't getting replaced just yet.

The new rear wheel bearing already have some movement in them... they've got 200 km on them. I'm guessing Chinese manufacture. They seem to have perfected micro-thin hardening as a manufacturing technique. At least I'm carrying good spares now.

This workshop had some decent tools and I was able to get the short screen out... the intake screen for the oil pump that handles the gearbox. I'd had a set of scooter forks on a T-bar at the first place I changed the oil... and was twisting the T-bar.... but with a decent 1/2" drive socket and breaker bar, I got it here. Just as well. The damn thing was covered in silicon. When I pulled the main oil filters the first time, someone had siliconed the o-rngs. I'd cleaned all that out of course... and hopefully this is the last of it gone. None came up anywhere else. It was a good ten minute session with a toothbrush and petrol to get it all sorted.

Everything done, I did the usual and bought some Beer Lao for the lads at the bike shop. It was Red Bull while they worked on my bike... Beer afterwards. Of course. A local came in on a Honda Shadow.... 200cc cruiser... for a new front tyre. His was totally bald... with a 2" round patch of canvas showing. I've got a photo of that somewhere.

We were watching a Farang woman in the street opposite. Her body language wasn't good and her boyfriend turned up and spoke with her a couple of times as she walked down the street and then rode off again. It didn't look good and we decided she needed to be asked if she required rescuing. So... my brand new IRC knobby.... slick, of course, with the new tyre coating... and still with bead seating pressure.... about 4 times what its designed to be ridden at.... left a 30' black arc down the road with a 2' chord in it. A nice sideways departure that Neil said really impressed the lads. Unintentional.... of course. Fortunately, we'd misread the situation with the woman. Nothing new with that. She and her boyfriend were simply gettng used to riding a scooter in a quiet street. Maybe her body language had something to do with how badly he was riding?

I'd promised Neil and Clarissa dinner atop the Pakse Hotel as a thank you for his assistance with the bike. That's something well worth doing in this town. Get there early, grab a good seat overlooking the Mekong and watch the sunset. Lovely. Food was great too. Wine was even better. Lovely Rothschild Bordeau.

Today was suck it and see what happens day. I headed off to the police station after brekky to see if they would give me a week's visa extension. Yep. Its $2 a day and they will. I'd like to have a look around here before dashing for the border. My visa was running out today... so it was going to be a dash to the border if they wouldn't. I doubt they'll extend the bike import permit.... so I'll have to pay a fine for overstaying that. The guideline for the fine is $5 is reasonable $10 is unreasonable. I can handle that. I'll take it back when I go to collect my passport and see what they say.

Jesus Ian, kudos to you, you're a better man than me.
I'ld have been cracking the shits & probably crying quietly to myself in a corner by now.
Reading this is a pleasure & honestly, I hope my trip this December isn't half as much fun as yours, I'm getting old & lazy.

Wow! :DD
Any more details about that waterfall BigFella? GPS? Name?

What's your approach when in a village and needing accommodation?
Slip them a bit of cash as a 'thank you' or are they simply so pleased to have you they don't ask for or want remuneration?

Best wishes.

Looks like there's a few!

Tad Yuang waterfall

TatYueng.jpg

Tad Champi Waterfall

ThamChampiWF.jpg

E-tu waterfall

TatItouWF.jpg

Tad Kou waterfall

ThatKou.png

Ban Ta-Oy the Khone falls

ThatKhoneWF.jpg

Quite sure it is the Xe Katam Waterfall. The viewpoint is a few meters of road 16A and is located at: N 15.12603 and E 106.63815

Actually there are a whole lot of waterfalls along that road - I posted a bit on them inlcuding the one Ian described here :http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-reports/158-south-laos-january-2011-part-2-a.html

Here's a wider view of that waterfall.

352.jpg

I don't recall the name. I'll try and find it on the GPS again and see if it names it. I'd stopped to see if a guy working on his scooter needed help and he told me it was coming up. He actually spoke good English... a law student at uni. He was adjusting the steel cable wrapped around his rear tyre to give him some traction.

I posted a link to a video a few days ago and its never seemed to work, so here's another try at it

Re approach to staying in villages... I've simply asked if I can have some food and a bed. I've given money afterwards. This last time, it was done with sign language... rub the tummy and point to the mouth. Hands together like a pillow and lay the head over on them. Works a treat. Probably helps if you look knackered... which I don't seem to find it hard to do.

OK, that is the Huay Mokchan waterfall - photo taken at N 15,07,950 E106.48.808

100% certain of from the GPS track. The new dam is going in at N15,08,020 E106,40,667

Thanks for the info re waterfall.

I reckon most if not all places you stay during this ride would feel it a rare and very special occasion to host you BigFella.
They'll probably talk about it for years.

Roll on. :DD

Just revisiting the "bigfella's" excellent post of Laos in the rainy season back in 2012, trying to imagine how they will be right now with all the rain we have had.

"Speaking of the rough stuff. This was the first one that stopped me. A poor choice of line"

043-2.jpg

041-1.jpg

Yeah... I seem to recall Justin giving me a hard time about that one.... because the locals had a track to the side. I couldn't get onto that damn side track though.

That would be an interesting trip to do again... with a couple of people, so that you could do photos in the interesting bits

Just revisiting the "bigfella's" excellent post of Laos in the rainy season back in 2012, trying to imagine how they will be right now with all the rain we have had.

"Speaking of the rough stuff. This was the first one that stopped me. A poor choice of line"

I forgot how nasty that was

I forgot how nasty that was

I was just looking back through some of the video I shot and never got uploaded. Here's another one from Route 4B. Taking it dead slow here (remember, I was riding solo... wouldn't like to get stuck under a bike here and wait there for a week for someone to come along)... and this was a lot steeper than it looks. I just love the way this bike tractors along when asked to....

Hadn't seen this ride for a long time - marvelous!

Thanks Phil. I'd just been looking to see if I had video of that sphincter-tightening landslip I'd crossed between Luang Prabang and Phonsavan... but apparently not.

Anyhow, I decided to upload a few short clips I had from Route 4B.

This is two of the streams on the approach to LP - nothing too onerous.

Helpful locals... but I'm not sure I pleased them... failing to deliver the requested wheelstand through the river in the third clip.

Bigfella... I'm a new guy so I hadn't seen this before. What a great trip! You must have great big round ones to make this trip during the rainy season. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bob. It was definitely "interesting". I'm just now going through the video I shot. I did days of slogging in this sort of stuff. Upside was, of course, no dust

Here's another one... there was 45 km of it like this in one stretch

.... another bit. Swear word at 1:20 if you have sensitive ears near you

I helped some guys on a farm chugger here... and they helped me. I wasn't going anywhere....

.... and yeah, I know there's a dry trail, up to the right, but I couldn't get onto it.... unfortunately

A bit of that Ron... and cooling my heels until my flight. Work's finished, I've had a cleanup... and I can't get an earlier flight.

Here's the second "stuck" for the one day. We ended up having to dig a rock out here... having unloaded the bike too.... and I was out of water.

You might recognise this one. Warning.... rude word at 1:47 - which was about when I reckoned I might be going over the weir.

Ah, the joy's of river crossings :lost

WOW!!! I would have had more than one or two "rude words". I would have had a whole bucket full of them. My trip to some of the same areas is fast approaching, but at least I'm going to do it when it's dry.

Back
Top Bottom