Kuta, Kupang, Kuta.

merantau

Bikes
Kawasaki KLX150, Honda Vario
In late 2016 I did a trip with a mate through eastern Indonesia. We took off from Kuta, Lombok and a few days later rocked up to Hu'u Beach in east Sumbawa. It was there that I saw my football team, the Western Bulldogs, win their way into their first Grand Final since 1961.
So, I turned around to next day to go back to Australia to see the Final while Daryl continued east. We won the Final. It was epic. I took my daughter to the game. 55 years is a long time to wait to see your team win the Premiership!
I returned to Lombok after a week and jumped on the bike again. I caught up with Daryl 82 hours later at a great spot 25km east of Maumere - Sunset Cottages at Waiterang Beach.
After a couple of days we continued on to Larantuka and then to Lembata, Alor and Kupang Timor.
I was running short of time on my visa so took off for Savu on a ferry. Daryl stayed in Timor. I then went to Sumba. In the meantime Daryl caught a ferry to Aimere on Flores and I crossed Sumba to Waikelo where I had to wait 2 days for a ferry to Sape in east Sumbawa. There I waited a day for Daryl to show up on the ferry from Labuhanbajo which he duly did. We then completed the ride back to Kuta. It was a great ride. I think we made 18 ferry crossings between us on that trip.
Here are a few photos. Actually the photos will go up later when I get a decent internet connection cos at the moment it's taking about 10 minutes to up load one image. That's Australia for you. Telstra - effing useless!

20181003_071355.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a huge day for the 'Doggies'.
Pity about that wretched graffiti on the statue.
What's the story behind the statue?

Yes, a huge day for the 'Doggies'.
Pity about that wretched graffiti on the statue.
What's the story behind the statue?
The statue is on the outskirts of Waingapu. The words mean "Have a Safe Trip". Sumba is famous for horses and warriors. Every year in west Sumba they stage a battle called the "Pasola" when blokes on horseback go at each other with clubs. The idea is to spill blood to ensure a good harvest

Great photos Steve and thanks for sharing!

I really loved my 3,5 months and 13 k kms crisscrossing Indonesia. I would really like to come back and do it again at one stage. Now that urge is even stronger...?

Great photos Steve and thanks for sharing!

I really loved my 3,5 months and 13 k kms crisscrossing Indonesia. I would really like to come back and do it again at one stage. Now that urge is even stronger...?
Hi Kurt. Come back any time mate. Look forward to catching up again. There are a lot of islands to visit that's for sure!

20161021_110017.jpg

The dock at Waikelo is pretty beat up. A new dock about one km away got smashed by a ferry in a storm and is yet to be repaired. Vandals have been at worked and the passenger terminal has been wrecked. Sad to see

The Sumba Cultural Centre at Kodi. Father Robert Romanes is doing a great job, despite opposition from conservative colleagues, to preserve the traditional culture of his people - well worth visiting.
20161020_130002-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As you say beautiful sunsets, the locals appear very friendly

20161021_163535.jpg

When you can speak the language you can really get an insight into people's lives. This woman and her girlfriend were returning to Sumbawa after selling clothes in Sumba. They tote around a swag of clothes on their heads and spend a week doing the rounds to earn a dollar. Both had been abandoned by their wastrel husbands and had kids to support

The statue is on the outskirts of Waingapu. The words mean "Have a Safe Trip". Sumba is famous for horses and warriors. Every year in west Sumba they stage a battle called the "Pasola" when blokes on horseback go at each other with clubs. The idea is to spill blood to ensure a good harvest
i just noticed the graffiti on the plinth as am looking at photo for first time on big screen. bloody, bastard vandals

Back
Top Bottom