KTM Chiang Mai

crs

Bikes
KTM 250 EXC-F
Anyone using these for servicing and part buys? Silly expensive? Only service bikes sold there? Can they service EXC-Fs?

Cheers.

Anyone using these for servicing and part buys? Silly expensive? Only service bikes sold there? Can they service EXC-Fs?
Cheers.

I trust Youtube much more than I would ever trust their mechanics (on a dirt bike)...
Don't know about parts, good question, would be nice to be able to buy brake pads and other replacement parts at a "normal" cost.

They said they could order me bits.. then when I went with a part number it was going to be 6 weeks.. maybe.. and price unknown..

Went online ordered it postal. Wasnt an uncommon part either, fits 100's of models.

Will have to get hold of a workshop manual to see how easy it is and if you need special tools... Can buy the cds here - : ktm-parts.com: Repair Manuals

I haven't found anywhere to download them from (legit or otherwise) as of yet... Anyone else?

You can also check part prices at ktm-parts.com too.

I'll maybe go see KTM Chiang Mai and check but looks like it'll be a case of ordering parts from US then DIY.

Where did you order from Sefton?

Forget about KTM Cmai, they wont even know what bike you are talking about.

Buy the CD, and get it printed for a few hundred baht.

Theres so much choice for KTM parts all over the world no need to use over priced clowns here.

You dont really need special tools, you're not likely to be into a full engine stripdown unless your very unlucky or a complete dickhead. If you have a decent set of tools you'll be able to do most stuff easily.

EXCF service is just 1.2 litres of new oil often (for me every 7-10 hours of PTT semi-synth), 15 hours oil filter and air filter clean after every ride. If you cant be bothered to clean the air filter often then expect valve wear and engine problems.

And get a "fuel filter sock" that fits into the top of the fuel tank, that will minimise the amount of shit that gets into the FI when you add gas to the tank. The FI has tiny filters that can clog easily so buy some of those filters as spares.

OK - big no to them then. Well, guess the 350 service requirements are pretty similar - so if you don't need anything special, I should be alright. I'm not bothered about basic service stuff - as long as I've got the parts. It's some of the 100 hour / yearly stuff I'm on about. Anyways, will order some parts and manual from US soon... Yes, an extra fuel filter is a good idea too. Ta.

Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 17.59.56.jpg

I have quite a few spare parts for the 350 so if you need anything quickly you can "borrow" it and order it back for me.

Thanks for the offer. Liking the bike?

Yes its a good bike, fairly light, plenty of power and good suspension. Ideally it would be 5kg lighter but for a 4T 350 its pretty good.

Yes its a good bike, fairly light, plenty of power and good suspension. Ideally it would be 5kg lighter but for a 4T 350 its pretty good.

Could it be a contender for the best off road bike for Northern Thailand ?

One of Kevin from Singapore's friends has one, he says 80 hours started blowing blue smoke needed a new top end. Maybe s one-off but interesting.

Never sent from an I-Phone

One of Kevin from Singapore's friends has one, he says 80 hours started blowing blue smoke needed a new top end. Maybe s one-off but interesting.

Never sent from an I-Phone

Thats not unreasonable, KTM say 105 hours. Depends how the air filter was maintained really and how it was ridden.

80 hours doesnt sound like much, but for a pure offroad bike thats quite a few rides.

You know what, I think it could. But it would have to fight hard to hold of the challenge of the KX450F. :D

Chris - One of the things I did to make things easier was order a Scotts Stainless steel oil filter for my KTM's. Just clean em out with gasoline and a bit of compressed air and reinstall. Not sure what bike you're running but the XCF's have a pretty solid valve train and are supposed to be pretty stout so hopefully no need for valves etc for quite awhile.....unless you've been running it with the air filter not sealed correctly or anything like that. I reckon a set of rings, change the oil often and a few valve shims will keep you going quite awhile. I checked the ring gap of my 250 XCFW piston rings at 40 hours and was only about 30% through it's accepted tolerances. Bloody KX450F for greatest offroad bike of North Thailand!! Must be a talented rider to wheel that through the bush and recommend it for over here.

Good point about the fuel filter sock , new pump plus other parts cost me over 400 quid recently

You reckon the closed cartridge forks on the six days are a good idea for trails riding? Not too hard? Maintenance?

You reckon the closed cartridge forks on the six days are a good idea for trails riding? Not too hard? Maintenance?

The 6 days are actually 4CS forks, very different from CC forks.

But I like the 4CS on the rougher stuff, but the faster stuff I prefer the CC. For the riding I do overall i think the 4CS is better and a worthy upgrade on the 6 day model.

Just change the fork oil every now and then no big deal.

4CS you can chnage springs with forks on the bike
CC you have to take them apart to chnage and they are a real PITA.

^ Ah. Yep, thought cc didn't sound like too good an idea - but, from your description, these 4cs sound good. Ta.

Back
Top Bottom