KTM Cambodia

Disappointing experiences with them lately..

Went along.. Park (a KTM) in the large available parking spaces out front.. To be told to move by the security guard.. What ?? why ?? Not for bikes only cars.. Oh nice, a KTM shop that doesnt let you park KTMS there.. Obviously keeping it so the porsche cayman parked there has all 6 parking spaces to use... Is this a bike shop or a display case for rich kids ??

Secondly go in and ask about ordering parts for an LC4.. Yes yes can.. OK how much, when ?? No ideas.. No answers.. Boss not here.. Come back tomorrow.. Next day try again.. While the manager is very friendly, and is promising that of course at some unspecified time in the future parts supply will be happening.. At this point in time its impossible to actually get any prices, to have any delivery schedule, any idea if / when / ever parts ordered would be arriving and any idea how much said parts might cost when get there.. Basically the conversation is "yes.. yes.. yes.. yes.. Well actually er no"..

Further enquires as to where the mechanics shop is actually located (the one I was told was up and running) got the response that they are looking for a suitable location not far from the shop to lease.. So where the current bikes sold with warranty are being serviced ?? By whom ?? With what tools ?? Well.. Your guess is as good as mine.

Lovely shop.. Slick superficial presentation.. But a bit more actual nuts and bolts operation wouldnt hurt. Still, I guess it is Cambo.

Imo, they will need to import an experienced KTM tech who can run the workshop (when they actually get a workshop) and train the staff. I'd say a stint of 6-12 months would be sufficient.
After that they should be able to go it alone and use the Malaysian KTM HQ for backup when required.

For now, I expect no-one really knows what they're doing so its better to do nothing than get blamed for a mistake.

Btw, are they selling any oils etc like motorex synthetic ?
When I was there on the opening night they had it in stock but only for bikes they were selling.

Prices for new bikes in stock:

KTM 250 SXF 2013 = $10,722.00
KTM 350 EXC-F 2013 = $12,945.00
KTM 350 Freeride 2013 = $11,585.00
KTM 450 EXC 2013 = $13,125.00
KTM 500 EXC 2013 = $13,645.00

Wow, the 500 is around $1k more than I expected going by the previously quoted prices

Has anyone bought that '12 690SMCR yet. Its the best deal they got there I reckon.

Has anyone bought that '12 690SMCR yet. Its the best deal they got there I reckon.

He told me that 1 or 2 (failing memory) were already sold and the showroom one was 'the last one'.. which kinda broke with his telling me 'any model ordered in 2 weeks' from a previous visit. Maybe he meant last 2012 model ??

I just sent them an email asking for available bikes in stock as I might have a couple of day to myself right after New Years and could sort a trip out.
Will post here if I get a reply.

I just sent them an email asking for available bikes in stock as I might have a couple of day to myself right after New Years and could sort a trip out.
Will post here if I get a reply.

Mate.. Late jan 3rd or 4 th week.. Will be in town and there's word that tumbler and jayson are planning same time.. Rob and soupy in Bangkok said the same but I think work and finances will not let them make it..

I was told that rules have changed and that I really need the card to take the bike out of cambodia now.
I was also told that the card takes 15 working days, but mine got held up due to the water festival holidays.
I did get it in time(a month), my cambo address is on the card

Motroex engine oil

KTM Cambo quoted me $32 per liter for Motorex 10W50 engine oil.

My 500xcw has 1.5 liter engine oil capacity so that's $48 per oil change.

Recommended oil change interval is every 15 hours which equates to around 500km dualsport riding for me..

Really cant see the justification in paying that much for motorex oil, especially considering I'm not racing the bike.

Currently using Total 10W50 4T motorcycle engine oil $5.50 per liter

http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/FichePDF/lang_29/8163.pdf

The container has fully synthetic written on it but its actually mineral based

Petroleum-derived severely refined mineral-base product
http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/WSDS/lang_29/8163.pdf

Apart from KTM's Motorex oil, The Total 10W50 seems to be the next best quality oil avail in Cambo, sadly.

On another note, they reckon the KTM service center on Sihanouk Blvd should be opening soon. Spare parts will be available once it opens. Not holding my breath for US equivalent spare parts prices though.

Was in PP yesterday and called into the KTM shop.

duke 690 R ktm Cambo 20130530.jpgDuke 690 R KTM Cambo-1 20130530.jpg

The 690 Duke R is interesting. Its got fully adjustable suspension, (the non R duke hasnt) and more travel.
A couple of online articles suggest there's minimal vibration with the new Duke, unlike the 690 enduro.
$14k but they will do deals. Recently it was $12.3k during a promo.

SM 990 KTM Cambo-1 20130530.jpgSM 990 KTM Cambo-2 20130530.jpg

SM 990. $18k negotiable.
Dunno much about it but took photos cos it looked good.

Mmmm... 25% off a 2013 EXC-F 350 6day... :rolleyes: (Making it $10875, I think.)

Dunno how easy it is to get a card with that bank though.

1014879_475900629161325_1731052939_o.jpg

Mmmm... 25% off a 2013 EXC-F 350 6day... :rolleyes: (Making it $10875, I think.)

Dunno how easy it is to get a card with that bank though.

View attachment 18062

Interesting. I bet the 350 six days only gets the 15% discount at this stage. Going by the regularity of promos, it seems 15-25% off is the standard price and selling at the undiscounted price is a bonus for them.

Dont expect any aftersales service from them though. I asked for fork oil a couple of weeks ago. Expected to be quoted some expensive motorex product. Answer was, we dont stock fork oil because we dont sell many dirt bikes. I didnt bother telling him road bikes use it too.

^ It was 25% off the 350 6day last promo... But not sure what'll be what this time. Nope, wouldn't reckon on too much from aftersales or servicing.

^ It was 25% off the 350 6day last promo... But not sure what'll be what this time. Nope, wouldn't reckon on too much from aftersales or servicing.

Everyone's loving this bike, it's the new darling. And plated if bought in Cambo.......very tempting.

I would have one of these tomorrow ! If anybody fancies making the trip for one i would happily cover any " expenses " :)

I'll make the trip for you.... if "expenses" covers the bike that I'll need too :DD

He's offering 15 per cent of on lots of bikes when you talk.. they did 25 per cent on the smcr and duke 690 the first time.. I told him do it again on a 2013 smcr and I will take it.. even if I have to wait on a long delivery time.. he said he will talk to the owner next sale and try..

I really need another super moto :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Remember the bike reg takes 4 weeks. You can get the process started by emailing a passport style pic and passport copy to Seila at the shop (this saves you a trip there and will cost you $100 - after you've bought a bike, obviously). It'll get plated then - so you can ride it in Cam - but you'll have to wait for the reg photo card to come back before you can take it out of Cam.

If you don't want to wait and get it reg'd there and then do a temp import into Thailand, I think you're going to need good connections with Thai Customs to sort paying (just) the right import/excise whatever taxes. No idea about that...

image.jpg
image.jpg

Stuck in PP waiting 4 frikin days for 60 day tourist visa. (The reports are true about the dodgy embassy.) I think all they've really sold here are the 200 Dukes. Re. enduro, have freeride, excf 350(x2 + a 6 day), 450, 690.

They have sold a bunch of 690 dukes, some 690 enduros and a fair few EXCs also.. they had a plated SMR 450 which is gone so assume sold (who is going to maintain that there ??) and at least one 690 SMCR (that I should have bought on the 25% off day).. As well as loads of those 200s which are a great price point (a 125 PCX is $4500 and a 200 duke is $5000 ish !!)..

I think they are selling enough, not loads but only just open less than a year.. They are moving stock anyway, each time I go in it seems to have changed except the big 990s.

Has anyone checked out their service center ? Its at a different location to the showroom.

Has anyone checked out their service center ? Its at a different location to the showroom.

Ha ha.. I spoke to Siela a few weeks ago as he said it was open, I said Oh great I will go have a look and he then sorta went, well its nearly open :) !!!

Yeh, guess I'm just looking at the enduro models, which don't seem to be shifting fast even with the 25% off deals that keep coming up. Seila said the enduros are moving slow. (If anyone is serious about one of the enduro models, I think you could probably still sort 25% off.) A falang in Thailand had bought the 690 enduro...

Ha ha.. I spoke to Siela a few weeks ago as he said it was open, I said Oh great I will go have a look and he then sorta went, well its nearly open :) !!!

I couldn't find it when I looked around 5 weeks ago. Should've been looking for something sorta nearly open.

I just don't get them tho.. potential to be a real leader there, obvious money spent on the retail space.. putting work into shows, sponsoring a race scene..

But then not responding to multiple emails expressing interest to buy, not publicizing the same shows they put so much work into, and constant vague, clueless responses on parts, consumables, service, etc.. some of the staff they have standing in the sales place simply don't know one model from another, what four stroke or two stroke is, etc..

With just the addition of a couple of efficient communicators, that know how to reply to mail and give definitive answers, call back, and actually push sales (on people who gave said they are ready to buy) they would be doing great, instead there's just this feeling of suspect comms and weak after sales for me. To much "yes we can order you parts" "ok I want to order part number xxx" then finding out they have no part number lookups, can't give a price or delivery schedule, and basically can't order parts !!

Still it is cambo.. maybe I just expect to much based on the look of the bkk1 retail space.

The way its run now surely cant be in compliance with the franchise agreement.
Maybe things are in limbo until/if the Service center opens
Hopefully they'll bring in an experienced KTM Tech/workshop manager to get things started/train the locals.

But then not responding to multiple emails expressing interest to buy, not publicizing the same shows they put so much work into, and constant vague, clueless responses on parts, consumables, service, etc.. some of the staff they have standing in the sales place simply don't know one model from another, what four stroke or two stroke is, etc..

This 'mai phen rai' attitude, as many know, is not confined to this particular company.
Many of us, probably including LivinLOS, have encountered similar unprofessional 'PR' and 'service' from Thai based companies.
And, like many, I simply can not understand it.

Therefore my motto is 'no response or no satisfaction=no sale or no custom'.

Back
Top Bottom