KTM Cambodia

bill

Bikes
KTM 500 XCW
Much to my astonishment, a KTM dealer has just opened in Phnom Penh !

No website yet.

Some contact details at following link

http://www.khmer24.com/ad/ktm-cambodia/116-176496.html

KTM_ Cambodia : 1$

I rang and was quoted USD 12,120 for a 2012 690 Enduro and USD 12,350 for a 2013 SMR 450.
Thats all taxes paid so just need to pay another ~$30 for the plate, according to them.
I didnt ask about warranty, wouldnt expect it...
Not bad prices, more bikes arriving next week.

I already have a KTM500 on order from another source but will checkout this new shop next time I'm in Phnom Penh and report back.

That is pretty amazing Bill - KTM in Cambodia!

ktm cambo.jpg

Much to my astonishment, a KTM dealer has just opened in Phnom Penh !

No website yet.

Some contact details at following link

KTM_ Cambodia : 1$

I rang and was quoted USD 12,120 for a 2012 690 Enduro and USD 12,350 for a 2013 SMR 450.
Thats all taxes paid so just need to pay another ~$30 for the plate, according to them.
I didnt ask about warranty, wouldnt expect it...
Not bad prices, more bikes arriving next week.

I already have a KTM500 on order from another source but will checkout this new shop next time I'm in Phnom Penh and report back.

This is their current inventory with more arriving next week

200 Duke (2012)
Supersport 1190(2012)
Adventure 990(2012)
Travel 990(2012)
350 EXF (2013)
450 SMR(2013)
690SMCR (2012)
250 EXCF (2013)
690 Enduro R (2012)

I only asked prices of the 690 and 450 SMR.

Now that I think about it, there's plenty of money amongst the Khmer Elites and Expat workforce. KTM's could sell quite well here.

Yeah stumbled past the show room the other day..

12 grand for a 690... Fuck that's tempting.. I need something this side too..

Yeah stumbled past the show room the other day..

12 grand for a 690... Fuck that's tempting.. I need something this side too..

I'm surprised at the reasonable pricing.

Last time I inquired, the official tax rate for new imported motorbikes was 49.5% of the invoice value.

Either the tax rate has changed, or they have a special arrangement.

Great find Bill.

A hearty applause at their inventory in terms of diversity. The Thai KTM dealers only have a couple models on the floor and no selection of dirt bikes, really disappointing.

Wondering if this an authorized KTM dealer?

I checked KTM's official website and they have the Thai dealer listed in BKK but nothing in Cambodia as of yet.

Great to see more options arise for large bikes.

Great find Bill.

Wondering if this an authorized KTM dealer?

I checked KTM's official website and they have the Thai dealer listed in BKK but nothing in Cambodia as of yet.

Great to see more options arise for large bikes.

Justin, others

Not much info available yet.

Someone on another forum reckons the shop is located at The Place, which is part of the mwgroup.
M.W Group Co., Ltd
The address in the add and the advertisers email address also tie in with that.
However nothing yet on mwgroup's website yet about KTM.

Cambodia is on a national holiday until Oct 17th so I hope to get up to Phnom Penh and visit the shop after that.

I was going to go take some photos yesterday but hangovers were not cooperative..

Unsure if they will be closed for pchum ben but expect so.. Will drag the camera over there to see later.

Sefton - try get a feel for if they actually have stock of bikes, or if they are just trying to get you on the hook and then you wait 6 months for the bike.....

I was going to go take some photos yesterday but hangovers were not cooperative..

Unsure if they will be closed for pchum ben but expect so.. Will drag the camera over there to see later.

I emailed them yesterday with a list of parts I wanted... no reply. Guess yesterday was part of the holiday

Well they are very much in the process of moving in, but it's a very slick operation for Cambodia.. Exactly how you would expect a premium boutique brand to be sold any where, slick showroom, etc etc..

Right now you can see everything is still in bubble wrap, they were struggling with uncrating a 690 duke..

8082248395_ce60af4040_z.jpg

8082249339_5df34985c8_z.jpg

8082255566_6e1d06aa3e_z.jpg

They have some female sales staff decked in orange KTM shirts, but really I am not sure what purpose they serve except to open the doors, or go get the sales manager.. She did not know a single bike model from one another, did not know what 2 stroke meant, and when I asked prices while pointing at the bike I like she just smiled and said factually "I don't know".. Ok sure you don't know but the price is kind of a key issue we need to work out if I am going to buy one, so can you find out?? Apparently the answer was no, she could not. I mean, not knowing is one thing, but maybe go find out ?? Waste of space who wouldn't know the 200 duke from the 990 adventure.

Soon after the sales manager Siela appeared and was a lot more competent..

8082251313_2751325381_z.jpg

8082245186_c9176aaaef_z.jpg

8082255131_1ec0b89fe7_z.jpg

8082254251_e2cc7333ee_z.jpg

Siela assured me that any order would be met usually 1 to 2 weeks after order if not in stock, they can get most models up from Malaysia fast and otherwise it can come from Austria in around a month. Seems optimistic to me but that was his statement.

All machines have a 1 year warranty, and they have a full in house service center and parts supply chain. They will shortly stock a range of the KTM performance parts catalogue also.. Again, we will see..

Right now some pricing isn't certain, that especially applies to the 2 stroke and dedicated off rd machines.. A customer was asking about 2 strokes and Seila was going to get prices for him. He says there is no issue with road registering any of them. He even said the 450 smr could be plated, despite it having no lighting ?!? That looked like it had hoon written all over it !! Unsure what the service levels are like on the 450smr but it would make a great city machine.

All prices he gave are fully tax paid, there's a 30 or 40 usd fee to get your plate, but all taxes and duties are apparently included in the prices he gave. The pricing is appealing to say the least. This is basically about in line with uk prices. I don't see how they do that and pay the import duty, so am guessing they got some favorable deal, BOI, or some influential owner ?!

Some of the stock was 2012 and some 2013.. I didn't note which was which but got the following. All usd of course.

690 smcr 12,360
450 smr 12,350
990 sm 18,014
990 adv 18,880
250 excf 11,470
200 duke 6,200 !! Just shows how bad KTM Thailand are gouging as the 200 is tax free import to Thailand under 250cc and yet is still way over this price. Even the claim that it's Thai taxes simply doesn't stack up as the quote Jamie gave to legally import a 690, pay the duty, do emissions and get a plate still saves 1000s over KTM thailands list price.

The 690 duke price he didn't have but you would guess its in line with the 690smcr as in other markets.

8082254292_f216e1dddf_z.jpg

8082252420_3a60c75f46_z.jpg

8082257649_389c894a64_z.jpg

They have loads of the 200 duke racked up.. Looks like a fun city bike and at 6 k and change its priced right. Need a bit more grunt to shift my lump I fear tho.. The 690 smcr has got me lusting hard at that price.

8082253402_4d5efcab1b_z.jpg

Manager

Srun Sreang (Seila)
+855 23 988 585
+855 69 903 777

sm.ktm@mwgroup.com.kh

As to a lack of email reply to parts requests.. They really are barely open, he's trying to deal with people like me, asking 50 questions, about 2 strokes, registration, everything.. While also unpacking bikes, and dealing with basic shop layout..

It's early days.. But an exciting development for phnom penh riders..

That is quite amazing.....great pictures, thx Sefton, this could be really interesting value for foreigners.

Great info Sefton:DD.

2 weeks delivery from Malaysia has got me thinking.......and I do need a visa run.

How long will you be in PP Sefton? PM me if you prefer.

Only till mid week mate.. Back for next weeks ride and to toy on the new gas gas.. probably 2 or 3 weeks that side and expect to be back to the bar early nov.

Bangkok air loves me right now.

Sefton

Thanks for the info
It confirms what Siela told me on the phone.
Like you, I'm guessing they must have a special deal to sell them at the quoted prices, or, its a promotion to get things moving..

Wonder what type of training/experience their inhouse workshop staff will have.

Its almost surreal looking at your pictures, given the lack of choices we've had up to now.

Yeah considering every other bike operation is so much less well presented, just looks like they are going for the luxury / premium showroom appeal..

:jump wow...so thats only 370,000 Baht for a plated and taxed paid SMCR. This is a bike I want soon.

I know there are already a few guys with Cambodian plated bikes doing border runs to keep everything sweet within Thailand. Does anyone at present foresee any issues buying a plated KTM and temp importing it into Thailand?
Im getting a too good to be true feeling with the prices above, I mean that is a tad under 300K cheaper than KTM Thailand!!!

It does seem a too easy arbitrage doesn't it?

:jump wow...so thats only 370,000 Baht for a plated and taxed paid SMCR. This is a bike I want soon.

I know there are already a few guys with Cambodian plated bikes doing border runs to keep everything sweet within Thailand. Does anyone at present foresee any issues buying a plated KTM and temp importing it into Thailand?
Im getting a too good to be true feeling with the prices above, I mean that is a tad under 300K cheaper than KTM Thailand!!!

Just goes to show how much KTM Thailand are taking the piss tho, they don't need to pay emissions test per bike, and yet jamie has said 140k on top and he can do the import, excise, emissions, and plate.. And you still save 5000 usd over the Thai price.

Also for a border crossing 2 stroke, you simply cannot get a 2 stroke plated.. But could on a cambo plate.

If you want any help setting anything up.. Just shout.

Just goes to show how much KTM Thailand are taking the piss tho, they don't need to pay emissions test per bike, and yet jamie has said 140k on top and he can do the import, excise, emissions, and plate.. And you still save 5000 usd over the Thai price.

Also for a border crossing 2 stroke, you simply cannot get a 2 stroke plated.. But could on a cambo plate.

If you want any help setting anything up.. Just shout.

Sefton - could you ask them how quick for the 690SMCR? all inclusive price for everything? etc etc. If that price is correct I will pay a deposit and be on my way to Cambo on my return in 4 weeks.

Oh Yes!!!

big_KTM_690_SMCR_2012_01.jpg

He says there is no issue with road registering any of them. He even said the 450 smr could be plated, despite it having no lighting ?!? That looked like it had hoon written all over it !! Unsure what the service levels are like on the 450smr but it would make a great city machine.

Well, since its illegal to ride with your light on during the day, and quite common for the locals to ride with it off at night, then yeah, might be able to plate a bike with no lights. The cops can nab you for no mirrors though.

Here's a comparison of the prices Sefton quoted and the email Siela sent me which also has the year

Prices posted by Sefton
690 smcr 12,360
450 smr 12,350
990 sm 18,014
990 adv 18,880
250 excf 11,470
200 duke 6,200

Bike inventory emailed to me on Oct 11 2012
200 Duke (2012)
Supersport 1190(2012)
Adventure 990(2012)
Travel 990(2012)
350 EXF (2013)
450 SMR(2013)
690SMCR (2012)
250 EXCF (2013)
690 Enduro R (2012) $12120

He told me today that the prices quoted are all in, for everything, the only additional cost is around 30 bucks for the registration / plate to be in your name. I don't know if this process takes weeks (it took a month for my girl to be issued a license after passing her test) and if you need a longer visa than tourist.. Maybe bill can answer that ?

I can drop in on Monday for some questioning if you like..

He told me today that the prices quoted are all in, for everything, the only additional cost is around 30 bucks for the registration / plate to be in your name. I don't know if this process takes weeks (it took a month for my girl to be issued a license after passing her test) and if you need a longer visa than tourist.. Maybe bill can answer that ?

I can drop in on Monday for some questioning if you like..

I've had two bikes plated in Cambo, but in Sihanoukville, not Phnom Penh. They gave me the plate the same day, and the plastic rego card (which is processed in Phnom Penh) took around 1 month. Cost was $30 but I think the official price is $25. I've ridden a Cambo registered bike to Thailand about 8 times and Thai customs and immigration always take down the details from my plastic rego card.

Bill - What is the procedure regarding foreigners registering motorcycles in their name in Cambodia?

1. Do you need to be a Cambodian resident?

2. If you have to be a Cambodian resident, what do you need to qualify for this? A letter from a condo building that you live there suffice?

3. Does Cambodian immigration issue residency letters to qualify for Cambodian registration in the foreigners name?

4. Does a Cambodian tourist immigration visa qualify you for being able to register a motorcycle in your name in Cambodia?

I've had two bikes plated in Cambo, but in Sihanoukville, not Phnom Penh. They gave me the plate the same day, and the plastic rego card (which is processed in Phnom Penh) took around 1 month. Cost was $30 but I think the official price is $25. I've ridden a Cambo registered bike to Thailand about 8 times and Thai customs and immigration always take down the details from my plastic rego card.

Bill - What is the procedure regarding foreigners registering motorcycles in their name in Cambodia?

1. Do you need to be a Cambodian resident?

2. If you have to be a Cambodian resident, what do you need to qualify for this? A letter from a condo building that you live there suffice?

3. Does Cambodian immigration issue residency letters to qualify for Cambodian registration in the foreigners name?

4. Does a Cambodian tourist immigration visa qualify you for being able to register a motorcycle in your name in Cambodia?

Phil

Rego office closed until 18-10-12 for holiday so current details from the source not available until after that.
In the meantime I'll ask around for who's done it recently and see what they required, as its a few years since I did mine
It shouldn't be difficult.

Update
An Aussie friend just registered a DRZ in his name at the Sihanoukville rego office.
He's here on a business visa and staying in a guesthouse.
He used a mates residence as his address.
The business visa is issued on arrival, $25 for one month. No requirements as long as you're not Nigerian/Paki/Bangladeshi or Sri Lankan. Once incountry, you can extend it for 3, 6, or 12 months if required.
Its possible just a one month tourist visa ($20) would be ok too, just don't know anyone that's tried it.
For $5 extra may as well get the business visa.
It takes around 1 month for the plate and plastic card. Sometimes they issue the plate then and there but you still need the plastic card to cross the border AFAIK.

So I think the visa is easy, just need to sort a Phnom Penh address

I suggest you put (email) your questions to the KTM dealer as well. Maybe they have the means to facilitate the process.

Last edited:
Below is a response I got from KTM Cambodia regarding registering a bike in Cambodia:

"Sorry for late reply to u as we were not working for several days to join the Pchum Bin day(Special ceremony in Cambodia), Anyways, for the price of a new 690 SMCR (2012) is $12,360.00 , this price included tax, normally in Cambodia after we bought a bike we need to bring tax paper to register to get a plate number just only pay around 30 or 40 usd.

As my own opinion, i think that u no need to make plate number in Cambodia, u just contact with Thai custom officer to pay for tax in Thailand is fine, from Cambodia if you buy we are going to offer you a tax paper then u can take or ride the bike to the crossing border. if along the way to border got a traffic police check you for plate number u just tell them this bike u just bought then show them the tax paper is good enough.

On the other hands, if u want to make plate number in Cambodia, we need you to copy your passport , Visa and a piece of paper to confirm that you are living in Cambodia release by commune or district officer"

i wonder how easy it is to acquire that "piece of paper"! As easy as it is in Thailand!?!:!:

If you are able to get the Cambodian residency letter, then that would be amazing.
Below is a response I got from KTM Cambodia regarding registering a bike in Cambodia:

"Sorry for late reply to u as we were not working for several days to join the Pchum Bin day(Special ceremony in Cambodia), Anyways, for the price of a new 690 SMCR (2012) is $12,360.00 , this price included tax, normally in Cambodia after we bought a bike we need to bring tax paper to register to get a plate number just only pay around 30 or 40 usd.

As my own opinion, i think that u no need to make plate number in Cambodia, u just contact with Thai custom officer to pay for tax in Thailand is fine, from Cambodia if you buy we are going to offer you a tax paper then u can take or ride the bike to the crossing border. if along the way to border got a traffic police check you for plate number u just tell them this bike u just bought then show them the tax paper is good enough.

On the other hands, if u want to make plate number in Cambodia, we need you to copy your passport , Visa and a piece of paper to confirm that you are living in Cambodia release by commune or district officer"

i wonder how easy it is to acquire that "piece of paper"! As easy as it is in Thailand!?!:!:

www.RideAsia.net

I was in the shop talking to him about just this issue an hour or so back. He seems to think that it isn't too hard to get the relevant papers, but I explained my needs to him (leave bike here, one month visits...) and, again he seemed to think it wouldn't be hard to do.

Their big opening is on 27 October.

I couldn't talk him into placing a parts order for me.... despite showing him bits in desperate need of replacement. I'm thinking of just getting it to Siem Reap, heading back to CM by air and sourcing parts from my usual sources for when I return.

Bigfella

Dara from Darabike shop can facilitate registration.

His shop is on 136 st which runs perpendicular to the river front.

If heading along 136 towards the river, his shop is on the left about a block before the riverfront.
You'll see a bunch of dirtbikes parked outside.

His number is 012 335 499

Thanks Bill. I've got a Cambodian friend up in Siem Reap and I was toying with registering it in his (or possibly safer... his wife's) name.

Thanks Bill. I've got a Cambodian friend up in Siem Reap and I was toying with registering it in his (or possibly safer... his wife's) name.

Better its in your name if you want to cross borders or get 3rd party insurance (which is not compulsory)

Better its in your name if you want to cross borders or get 3rd party insurance (which is not compulsory)

Bill- do you know what the requirements are to gain a residency certificate? and is it a straight forward process. In Thailand all that's required is copy of your passport, visa and paperwork to prove you are living at an address within Thailand ie rental agreement, fuels bills etc all requiring your name on them.
The only issue I see with registering a bike in Cambodia is proving an address, therefore having to find someone that's willing to lend their property for the duration of the registration process.

As with anything in cambodia, I expect its easy with a few $$

Of course if you need a PP address I have one.. And I can help get it solved. Visas are trivial to get long stay, its nothing like Thailand in that way.

Bill- do you know what the requirements are to gain a residency certificate? and is it a straight forward process. In Thailand all that's required is copy of your passport, visa and paperwork to prove you are living at an address within Thailand ie rental agreement, fuels bills etc all requiring your name on them.
The only issue I see with registering a bike in Cambodia is proving an address, therefore having to find someone that's willing to lend their property for the duration of the registration process.

Johnny

Did you get the pm I sent you earlier today ?

I'll be visiting the Phnom Penh KTM shop tomorrow or Thursday.

Let me know if you want any inquiries passed on.

Prices for new bikes in stock:

KTM 250 SXF 2013 = $10,722.00
KTM 350 EXC-F 2013 = $12,945.00
KTM 350 Freeride 2013 = $11,585.00
KTM 450 EXC 2013 = $13,125.00
KTM 500 EXC 2013 = $13,645.00

Disappointing experiences with them lately..

Went along.. Park (a KTM) in the large available parking spaces out front.. To be told to move by the security guard.. What ?? why ?? Not for bikes only cars.. Oh nice, a KTM shop that doesnt let you park KTMS there.. Obviously keeping it so the porsche cayman parked there has all 6 parking spaces to use... Is this a bike shop or a display case for rich kids ??

Secondly go in and ask about ordering parts for an LC4.. Yes yes can.. OK how much, when ?? No ideas.. No answers.. Boss not here.. Come back tomorrow.. Next day try again.. While the manager is very friendly, and is promising that of course at some unspecified time in the future parts supply will be happening.. At this point in time its impossible to actually get any prices, to have any delivery schedule, any idea if / when / ever parts ordered would be arriving and any idea how much said parts might cost when get there.. Basically the conversation is "yes.. yes.. yes.. yes.. Well actually er no"..

Further enquires as to where the mechanics shop is actually located (the one I was told was up and running) got the response that they are looking for a suitable location not far from the shop to lease.. So where the current bikes sold with warranty are being serviced ?? By whom ?? With what tools ?? Well.. Your guess is as good as mine.

Lovely shop.. Slick superficial presentation.. But a bit more actual nuts and bolts operation wouldnt hurt. Still, I guess it is Cambo.

Back
Top Bottom