KTM 990 Adventure engine rebuild in Thailand

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Lots & lots of hard Km's, starting to use lots of oil, fuel economy down, time for a full engine rebuild in Thailand. Getting the parts together took 3 months, all here now, so finally under way

IMG_9537_edited.jpg

IMG_9539_edited.jpg

IMG_9536_edited.jpg

IMG_9535_edited.jpg

I'm no expert but I'm fairly sure cleaning the engine before a total rebuild is near the top of the "to do" list.

I'm no expert but I'm fairly sure cleaning the engine before a total rebuild is near the top of the "to do" list.

Depends if there is a warranty on the work done and also how hard the KM's were

Depends if there is a warranty on the work done and also how hard the KM's were

Ah now I get it, if it's not been ridden hard but is covered in shit it doesnt't need cleaning. I've lucked out, no need for LUFC to clean another motorcycle.

I went down there and the "mechanic" wasnt there, I havnt seen him yet since he started working on it, was a little horrified too.

LMAO...good point

When I saw the pics I was going to ask why it is that, here in Thailand, asking a mechanic to actually clean everything before starting to disassemble is like asking them to eat shit or something worse...then they wonder why new seals leak?

No insults intended Phil but when you took those pics I hope you told the "mechanic" that you expect to see shiny metal components before he starts to reassemble? I was going to pick up my truck on Friday...but noticed oil leaking and after closer inspection, every seal they changed and including the connections to the oil cooler were leaking...and this in a Toyota garage who's been redoing the repairs of the shady garage my insurance chose. Another lesson learned for me, I hope you do not have to go through the same...Cheers mate

Final stages of getting the KTM 990 rebuild all finished at Sa Moto in Chiang Mai

983764_10153169667958345_8022336544849132998_n.jpg

Sa is probably one of the most knowledgeable mechanics regarding re-mapping the ECU in Chiang Mai, he's done 100's & one of the few that knows his way around a KTM (KTM Chiang Mai aren't set up to do it).

10620660_10153169678248345_559416852387825475_n.jpg

Still some slight problems with an erratic idle, Sa thinks it's the throttle sensor motor or the oxygen sensor, so some minor kinks still to get out

WP_20140904_17_39_27_Pro.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Total bill came in, labor charge for this big, complex job - just 10,000 Bht (plus parts) , great value

WP_20140905_14_11_26_Pro.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

looks like a pretty capably mechanic Phil, do you have the co-ords and number for the shop ?

looks like a pretty capably mechanic Phil, do you have the co-ords and number for the shop ?

Sa Moto's location in Chiang Mai is:

N18.77878

E98.97690

Off of the SW corner of the moat square (headed south on Mahidon (l) Rd/ R 1141), go 100 meters under the first pedestrian overpass, take the u-turn immediately after the pedestrian overpass, once u-turned (now heading north on Mahidon(l) Rd/ R 1141), Sa Moto is 50 meters on your left (western side of Mahidon (l) Rd/ R 1141)

Bing Maps:

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Thai Nostra Map below:

Sa Moto

Nokia Here Maps:

http://here.com/l/18.77869,98.97682,16/Mahidon Road

Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/18....22,98.9427076,13z/data=!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0?hl=en

sa moto with txt.jpg

This is Sa below:

10620043_10153159063543345_9013911252449270795_o.jpg
/

Remapping a KTM is relatively easy with some free software called Tune ECU. Just need to buy a cable and get the map from somewhere, most are on the net already. Just save your original map and then upload whatever map you want. All the settings are configurable if you want to play.

I did it on my Triumph, both KTM and Triumph run Keihin EFI. The hardest part was having to carry my desktop PC out to the shed as Tune ECU is only comparable with windows and I have a MacBook....

Remapping a KTM is relatively easy with some free software called Tune ECU. Just need to buy a cable and get the map from somewhere, most are on the net already. Just save your original map and then upload whatever map you want. All the settings are configurable if you want to play.

I did it on my Triumph, both KTM and Triumph run Keihin EFI. The hardest part was having to carry my desktop PC out to the shed as Tune ECU is only comparable with windows and I have a MacBook....

Be a lot easier to load Parallels to run windows!

Be a lot easier to load Parallels to run windows!
Nice pics, Phil. 90,000 km isn't so much, though, is it? When I had my 950 Adventure in London the KTM head mechanic at Bracken (now sadly closed) told me the engine was only good for 80,000 miles (128,000 km) of normal road use. I take it you've been off-roading a lot, which I suppose must be much harder on the engine. Good to see it back on the road.

Back
Top Bottom