Knee braces

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Knee braces

Bought a pair of Try Lee Catalyst X knee braces that came today, USD$ 550 on EBAY.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Troy-Lee-Design ... 8e0916bc37

troy lee designs catalyst x.jpg

So far they feel very comfortable with a "floating" knee guard. There seems to be a large gap above the knee cap protector that looks like a vulnerable unprotected area, we shall see, but overall a great design.

knee brace 1.jpg

Initial fitting is time consuming as you have to follow a special sequence in tightening the straps with lots of numbers in the instruction manual.

knee brace 2.jpg

I hear Jonny Sneds just scored some awesome knee braces on EBAY, will shall see what his are like.

Why are knee braces so expensive? Do you think they are worth the extra cost over a very good set of knee/shin pads like the Fox Titan Pro?

They look great Phil. Did you try and twist Justin's leg to see if you could break it or dislocate his knee joint and if so was he still able to walk afterwards?

Yes I was lucky with a pair of Pod MX K700 knee braces in an Ebay auction. There were only worn once and paid just over $500. They sell new on Ebay new for $799!!!!!

4062-pod-mx-k700.jpg

johnnysneds said:
They look great Phil. Did you try and twist Justin's leg to see if you could break it or dislocate his knee joint and if so was he still able to walk afterwards?

Was frightened I'd brake that little leg off

madjbs said:
Why are knee braces so expensive? Do you think they are worth the extra cost over a very good set of knee/shin pads like the Fox Titan Pro?

Im no expert but I think the difference is braces will protect your knee from over exertion (anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and Medial collateral ligament (MCL)), also impact, where pads are solely for impact to the knee and shins from a forward direction.

Makes sense, but it makes me cringe thinking about it! Do any of you wear neck supports?

How do you get all these things shipped over here? I always hear of people having problems / high taxes / duty, etc. I'm interested in getting an IMS tank for the KLX from the US. It retails at $275USD. How much do you think it would cost all in?

Matt said:
How do you get all these things shipped over here? I always hear of people having problems / high taxes / duty, etc. I'm interested in getting an IMS tank for the KLX from the US. It retails at $275USD. How much do you think it would cost all in?

Matt - set up a shipito acc (www.shipito.com) you get to fill out your own customs declaration of goods and vale ;)

i would estimate:

Shipping (oversize ) USD $110

Thai Customs assessed value duty USD $ 40

so around USD$ 150 ish to get it into Thailand

madjbs said:
Makes sense, but it makes me cringe thinking about it! Do any of you wear neck supports?

When Joe came off the bridge south of Umphang he swears that the neck brace saved his life when he splatted into the river bank at 40KM/H

file.php

madjbs said:

Im planning to buy a neck support soon. Trying to swallow the cost of the knee braces first....hope I dont break my neck waiting for it to come.

Leatt seems to be the leading manufacturer of neck braces. The one I have researched and seems to have the best reviews is the Leatt GPX Pro ($695 oooph!!!)

0000-Leatt-GPX-Pro-Brace-Black-Yellow-Carbon-Fiber.jpg

This guy was wearing a neck brace

and this guy wasn't...

Trouble is you can't look down when you're taking a piss with your helmet on with one of these on.

johnnysneds said:
madjbs said:

Im planning to buy a neck support soon. Trying to swallow the cost of the knee braces first....hope I dont break my neck waiting for it to come.

Leatt seems to be the leading manufacturer of neck braces. The one I have researched and seems to have the best reviews is the Leatt GPX Pro ($695 oooph!!!)

0000-Leatt-GPX-Pro-Brace-Black-Yellow-Carbon-Fiber.jpg

This guy was wearing a neck brace

and this guy wasn't...

I like the look (and price, $289) of the Alpinestars one. It also seems to get good reviews, they also do a more expensive one made of carbon fibre.

0000-Alpinestars-Bionic-Neck-SB-Support---.jpg

Looks like a lot less protection Vs the Leatt?

madjbs said:
I like the look (and price, $289) of the Alpinestars one. It also seems to get good reviews, they also do a more expensive one made of carbon fibre.

0000-Alpinestars-Bionic-Neck-SB-Support---.jpg

Hello guys.

On the neck braces, Leatt basically has three levels: Adventure, Club, and Pro. There is little variation because the mechanics of them need to fit within tight parameters based on testing, liability, and the basic design.

I am a little out of date on the Pro, but in general the key difference is the materials. It uses carbon, and has a better hinge. Very light.

The Club is the most popular. The Adventure is the price point version. The difference is that the "shelves" front and rear, where the helmet would contact the brace, are adjustable on the Club. Note that the adjustment range is not huge, and frankly, for some hard to notice. Not an endorsement of either, just an observation that I hope is helpful.

The Alpinestars is a variation of the same basic concept. Some like the front opening better, but there is little functional difference otherwise.

My personal opinion is that our industry is absurdly, ahem, "derivative", and that Leatt deserves credit for creating one of the only unique products attempting to advance rider safety.

AFA off the shelf knee braces, I am not a fan.

KTMphil said:
Trouble is you can't look down when you're taking a piss with your helmet on with one of these on.

You can see your willy under that gut of yours normally?

In Malaysia here, I only wear EVS body protection item....from my ballistic jersey, elbow, to knees...only EVS...too many imitation products for FOX etc....

Sometimes when I am in Bangkok, I would visit Paddock at Rachadipisek Rd...

Great info Brian - how much is the club roughly?

Brtp4 said:
Hello guys.

On the neck braces, Leatt basically has three levels: Adventure, Club, and Pro. There is little variation because the mechanics of them need to fit within tight parameters based on testing, liability, and the basic design.

I am a little out of date on the Pro, but in general the key difference is the materials. It uses carbon, and has a better hinge. Very light.

The Club is the most popular. The Adventure is the price point version. The difference is that the "shelves" front and rear, where the helmet would contact the brace, are adjustable on the Club. Note that the adjustment range is not huge, and frankly, for some hard to notice. Not an endorsement of either, just an observation that I hope is helpful.

The Alpinestars is a variation of the same basic concept. Some like the front opening better, but there is little functional difference otherwise.

My personal opinion is that our industry is absurdly, ahem, "derivative", and that Leatt deserves credit for creating one of the only unique products attempting to advance rider safety.

Brtp4 said:
Hello guys.

Does the Leatt H2 Harness Hydration System have to be fitted to a specific helmet for the hands free system or does it come with all the parts to fit to any helmet?

Phil, from his website the club is $325. Maybe we can get a discount for a group buy, wink wink nudge nudge Brian. I'm after the GPX Pro and the Leatt hydration pack that fits it.

I'm pretty sure Brian will try help us out, maybe a Klim riding pants group buy too.....I'll ask him.

johnnysneds said:
Brtp4 said:
Hello guys.

Does the Leatt H2 Harness Hydration System have to be fitted to a specific helmet for the hands free system or does it come with all the parts to fit to any helmet?

Phil, from his website the club is $325. Maybe we can get a discount for a group buy, wink wink nudge nudge Brian. I'm after the GPX Pro and the Leatt hydration pack that fits it.

Brtp4 said:
Group buys are cool. I often do them at increments of 5, 10, or 20. Since both brands have MAP policies, I personally cannot discuss details on a public forum. But Phil can help make it work.

BP

I'll try circle the wagons here and see what we can put together in respect of a group buy for neck braces and Klim riding pants -- thanks Brian :DD

http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/3142-100

3142-100-L.jpg

I've ordered in the past from Atomic Moto when I'm back in the states. He is one of the only retailers i've ever dealt with that reviews products with critical eyes, and reports both the pro and the cons of the product to his customers. A service not often demonstrated by most retailers and one that is of true value to the consumer. Your efforts are truly appreciated. i've got a list of stuff i'd like to order and if brian can supply the goods I'd be more than willing to order.

Here's a short list you can include me in a group buy of any/all of the items listed.

*Klim Baja (vented, inside the boots) pants size 30" . In orange or black/grey. I've tried vented MX pants from MSR, TLD, Moose and O'neal and the Klim bajas vent much better and have outlasted the others.
*Klim Nac Pac hydration pack
*high quality knee braces
*goggles that fit over my glasses
*Elbow guards if I get a seperate stand alone chest protector.
I'm also interested in some armor/chest protector that works well with backpacks/hydration packs. I have exchanged PM's on another website on this topic and we both are unimpressed with what the industry has been serving up in this area. If you have any new suggestions I'm all ears. Any feedback on the Zacspeed chest protectors?

Edit: this is Team FTB from ADV Rider

I hate using goggles with glasses (though I have to). I tried SCOTT and Smith, IMO the best fitting OTG goggles are the Smith Options. My glasses are more "square at the hinge, meaning the side arms are out a little. The frame works better here. I actually use them w/o glasses (when I wear contacts) also.

Don't know about other brands. FWIW I really screwed with this myself and with customers. I have to have OTGs myself so I spent some time comparing. I stock them in the store but not yet online. Almost every time someone comes in and says they cant wear OTGs I have them try the Smiths and they work.

I will build the listing today.

BP

Thanks "BP" i think there's a few of us looking for over-the-glasses goggles

Brtp4 said:
I hate using goggles with glasses (though I have to). I tried SCOTT and Smith, IMO the best fitting OTG goggles are the Smith Options. My glasses are more "square at the hinge, meaning the side arms are out a little. The frame works better here. I actually use them w/o glasses (when I wear contacts) also.

Don't know about other brands. FWIW I really screwed with this myself and with customers. I have to have OTGs myself so I spent some time comparing. I stock them in the store but not yet online. Almost every time someone comes in and says they cant wear OTGs I have them try the Smiths and they work.

I will build the listing today.

BP

KTMphil said:
Knee braces

Bought a pair of Try Lee Catalyst X knee braces that came today, USD$ 550 on EBAY.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Troy-Lee-Design ... 8e0916bc37

[attachment=2:2tq4b7sr]troy lee designs catalyst x.jpg[/attachment:2tq4b7sr]

I rode with these braces yesterday for 85km (about 3 hours) most of it offroad and they were very comfortable.

Compared to the Asterisk Cells (that would pinch the skin) that I had the TLD are much more comfortable and thinner, meaning you can get your riding pants over the braces easily.

Putting them on is a 5 minute job to make sure everything is aligned, but once they were on I did not notice any restricted movement a massive improvement over Asterisk cells.

There is no elastic in the straps which is good as that means no stretching, no slipping, they just stay in place.

Can't report on crash test..........yet.

This group buy order is going in U.S time today, theer will be a discount from list price and all the shipping (& import taxes) to Thailand taken care of

last chance

Hi Guys. Sorry for the delay on this. I have things organized and am ready to get them moving.

First, how we will organize this: carefully. Our company goal is always to win over customers, not to make sales. So we are extra organized, meticulous, and precise for international orders. Since returns are either impractical or expensive, we spend a extra time to avoid them. This means 2x checking sizes, making sure it is the right product, etc. Phil has been a huge help in getting this going (thank you) now it is my job to make sure everyone is happy when it is done.

Second, if anyone is looking for Drift or Contour POV cameras, Geigerrig packs, or other stuff, let me know.

I am sending KTMPhil an email to confirm up some details. Once he gets that info from you we will get this going.

Thanks,
BP

Brian -- Put me down for a Drift HD helmet cam.

Brtp4 said:
Hi Guys. Sorry for the delay on this. I have things organized and am ready to get them moving.

First, how we will organize this: carefully. Our company goal is always to win over customers, not to make sales. So we are extra organized, meticulous, and precise for international orders. Since returns are either impractical or expensive, we spend a extra time to avoid them. This means 2x checking sizes, making sure it is the right product, etc. Phil has been a huge help in getting this going (thank you) now it is my job to make sure everyone is happy when it is done.

Second, if anyone is looking for Drift or Contour POV cameras, Geigerrig packs, or other stuff, let me know.

I am sending KTMPhil an email to confirm up some details. Once he gets that info from you we will get this going.

Thanks,
BP

Whats the price on a drift..

And Phil is this package going to incur import taxes ??

ill get the drift hd camera price..

its all going to a shipito po box in the USA, then shipped here ....hopefully will minimize the import taxes

LivinLOS said:

LivinLOS said:

Edit:
$277.97.

BP

Back
Top Bottom