KLX250 Sprockets

MastaMax

Bikes
19 ktm 300tpi 6 days / 15 Yamaha YZ250F / 08 Husky 450SMR / 13 ER6N / 13 KTM 300XCW(sold)
Hi all,

Changed the front sprocket to 13t on my klx250 (unrestricted and aftermarket exhaust), but I think the top speed is still too high and not needed (max at 120-125km/h) with knobbies. The bike is not stable over 110km/h anyways, and I do 90% offroad with this bike.

So now I just ordered a 48t sprocket for the back. Will this be to much? Probably the first gear's gonna be very short but I don't mind riding slow speed in second gear...

What are your expert opinions as my knowledge in mechanics is restricted to whether I have wiki at disposal or not...

Will also post more info once I got it mounted.

Cheers

Thanks. It's really confusing, as they are so many posts and I'm not sure the US klx25s is the same bike in terms of performances and gearing... From all I read default gearing on the 09-current klx250 is 14/42. But on older klx (like Alex's I think) it has a lower stock gearing.

Best post I found is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557161

Will try to ask Alex. btw Phil, is it possible to unlock the private messaging?

I found with the 13/48 I hardly needed 1st gear. It was geared too low to use any speed on the road.
Saying that I'm going to put the 13 back on.

you still have the 42 on?
I think you'll like the 48, and if you dont you can put the 14 back on

Yeh I have 13/42 for now, but I don't use the top speed at all and the 2nd gear is lacking punch. Will give it a try and as you said if it's too low will try 14/48.

What about the chain, did you have to change it? Read you need a 108 rings for a 48 sprocket (stock is 106 rings). If it's just 1 link I can put a 2nd master link.

not sure, I have 2 chains, one for 39t road wheels, other for 48t dirt

It is mounted and yes I had to change the chain, and my finding is that 13/48 on a klx250 is just perfect, get loads and loads more punch out of the bike, and still max at 115-120km/s.
It should be the stock gearing to my opinion (or maybe 13/46 since it's a dual-purpose).

Attachments

• IMAG0513_sproket.jpg
    IMAG0513_sproket.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,982
Sure felt nice riding it last Sunday at the track.

So you're ready to race day after tomorrow now right?

Are these different size sprockets being bought from Kawasaki or elsewhere?

I ordered them from the US, but you can try to find them here. The rear one won't be a problem.
The 13t front I tried several places but couldn't find it (even called the dirt shop in BKK). Guy at Chiang Mai MX shop told me he can make one himself but I prefered to order one.

I would prefer to put a larger one on the rear but without having to replace the chain, will a 45 tooth one fit still using the original chain and do Kawasaki stock these in Chiang Mai, if not who does stock them ?

Not sure, what you can do is put a 13 on the front then a 44-45 will probably fit but not sure.
Bigger certainly not, with my 13/48 I was missing a good length (about 4 links). Got a nice black and gold chain for about 1500baht which is ok I guess.

Back
Top Bottom