Klx250 ecu and exhaust swap out?

pluto

Bikes
klx250
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I have a standard klx250 from 2011, which has been great fun riding. However I am ready for a little more power and pick up. The local Kawasaki dealer, offered to swap out the ecu for 5000 baht and fit a thai made exhaust for another 5,000 baht. Has anyone done this and is happy with the results? Is there anything I should be aware of(ie: o2 sensor issues, hard starts etc...)? The bike runs well but lacks a little top speed and doesn't go higher then 7-8k rpm....Are there any other changes that could boost power a little without sacrificing fuel consumption and reliability? More importantly, I would like to know if the swap out is worth doing and if the Thai made cans are good? Thank you. Happy riding.

I've done the above mod and takes 5 minutes to do. I also fitted an end can from Home Motor Racing which I picked up when there, I doubt it increases power but does sound better and less wheezy. He will post end cans or complete systems to Pattaya but speaks very little Thai. I am thinking of changing the rear sprocket but will do that when I replace the tyres. Khun Ley at Bikelane near the elephant village had sprockets in stock and has very reasonable prices including fitting.

Where do you ride?

I live around bike lane. Ride all around the area but also Kao Mai keow, Pong to Sattahip, Ban Chang....discovering a lot of new places. We meet up at 7-11 Maprachan on Saturdays@ 11 am...mix of everything (tracks,tarmac.trails...) very relaxed atmosphere.

Ok. just changed the air filter, ecu for APItech ecu and locally made cans with Tsukugi racing brand on them. So far, yes it is a totally different feel. A little more power and a hell of a lot of noise. :GF . I did notice a little backfiring when deccelerating (1 out of 5 times), but it is tolerable. However, I wouldn't feel comfortable riding around town with it, due to the noise. I haven't taken the baffle or spark arrestor out yet and it is damn loud :eek1. The boys at the shop recommended 2 brothers cans but they were way more expensive 20k+ and way more louder. Will see how this set up works for now! :RO

ECU from Apitech for Kawaski KLX 250

Hi Pluto,

I am on my 3rd ECU from Apitech now. I ordered the "fixed" setting ECU for 5000 baht in January this year. My KLX is all stock, off road version.
The 1st ECU they sent to me actually had less power than the stock ECU and it was very difficult to start the engine. I sent it back to the the company and they sent me a new ECU. This time the power increase was very significant, but there was a strong knocking/pinging sound form the engine. I did not dare to use this otherwise powerfull mapping as it might have damaged the piston head etc. so I had it replaced with a 3rd ECU. This time I got a nice smooth ride and it starts easy. Power increase not as much as the 2nd ECU, but acceptable.
One peculiar effect of the Apitech ECU's is that the speedometer showing is erratic. Speed jumps up and down. This was the same for all 3 Apitech ECU I have used.In some way the ECU influence the speedometer showing.
So the conclusion is that it seems that Apitech have many versions of their fixed ECU for the KLX. Maybe they are still fine tuning it. My experience with Apitech started around January this year and I got my 3rd ECU around March.....

Hi,
I've just done the clutch switch mod.
Amazing that something so simple makes such a difference.
114 kmh indicated was the best I've seen on my KLX-250 (bought August 2011)
Just seen 126kmh and it was still pulling, but I had to slow and turn off.

Thanks for the link.

It's weird, it does seem to pull better from low revs (when intentionally in the wrong gear) with the mod done.
Not sure if that's psychological or what, but it really does seem better across the rev range.

Back
Top Bottom