API ECU for KLX250

mikehohman

Bikes
KLX250
I went by API Tech this week in Bangkok to pickup one of their Programmable ECUs for KLX250 (and D-Tracker). I have it on my bike, but haven't had a chance to really test it yet, it keeps raining here in Bangkok. So much nicer than stock so far, and i am just using the basic profile. Meanwhile, it' super easy to install and program.

_1050344.JPG

You can check out Chatbovon's blog here for more info in English
http://programmybike.blogspot.com

And API Tech's website:
http://apitechonline.com

Mike

I got the Tuning Box although not sure what else the Unlimited Box can do (more decimal places maybe?) The one I have now can tune a lot, Ignition Timing, Injection Timing and Acceleration, the Sub Throttle, Idle Speed, Fan Speed, etc. etc.

Setting the Sub-TPS really opens up the throttle and removes the primary restrictions from the factory.

Phil, not sure what overall power gain we can expect, but something like the dyno below, which compares stock ECU to API ECU on a stock KLX. Other mods should make a difference too. We were going to put my bike on the dyno at API but the room had started to flood so i will try and go back another time.

Had it out on the streets yesterday between the rains, and it's like riding a whole new machine. Amazed at how de-tuned the stock bike is.

Screen%252520Shot%2525202011-10-15%252520at%2525206.46.26%252520PM.jpg

I fitted the standard box, clear improvement, bike pulls much better through all gears and now has a 130 km/h top speed with me being a 90 kg/193 mtr rider.
Downsides are that cold start takes a few attempts and bike has more back fires mores when I go off the throttle.
Have not been able to figure out the average fuel consumption with this ecy but will be worse as as it just too much fun to open the throttle :p
In general feel this is a great mod for just Bht 5000.-

Has anyone messed with putting holes in the airbox to see if there's a restriction on the standard bike? Works on the DRZ (although carb).

FrankT said:
I fitted the standard box, clear improvement, bike pulls much better through all gears and now has a 130 km/h top speed with me being a 90 kg/193 mtr rider.
Downsides are that cold start takes a few attempts and bike has more back fires mores when I go off the throttle.
Have not been able to figure out the average fuel consumption with this ecy but will be worse as as it just too much fun to open the throttle :p
In general feel this is a great mod for just Bht 5000.-

FrankT: Which exhaust are you using? I guess that you use the original one. I will analyze back firing in your KLX again.
@KTMphil: Yeah. Some Thai rider done it, some remove snorkle and some remove air box cover!!!

It makes a little difference,not much, according to dyno tests.
Too wet or dusty for me to remove the top
I read that the original ECU automatically adjusts for different header/exhaust.
Is that true?
Does the API tuningbox have to be reprogrammed for a different exhaust?
Why does the tuning box work on a 300cc but not a 331cc kit?

I guess that they will install back when have raining or long way riding...if they don't forget lol..

ECU will never know that you change any exhaust system but it will read from O2 sensor. So it will know only the A/F ratio in exhaust and adjust fuel by this signal. What will happened to combustion and A/F ratio when change bigger exhaust?

For API tuning box, it was created for tuning, everyone should tune or reprogram everytime you change any part. Someone not reprogram only when change part but also change the way, off-road or on-road, need the speed or need eco-riding (user can adjust to safe fuel more than original ECU but who need!) . It's very flexible for user but before play it, I recommend to test the 3 files from API technician to learn your engine when ECU control by difference MAPS.

I'm sorry to tell that API have not 331cc or more to test so I can only said that in theory, tuning box will work with upto 350cc bore on original fuel pump, injector and spark system etc.

I put the original header back on my 300cc, and it stopped the popping on deceleration/closed throttle that the bike had with the larger bore powerbomb
I have a 331cc piston/barrel which you could test if you wanted, but you would need to get a 331cc head gasket

I plan on derestricting my KLX as soon as I get it and it seems that the three options are

1 The diy one, cut and resolder one of the wires yourself
2 Buy the unrestricted ecu
3 Buy the programmeable ecu

As I am not going to be changing the exhaust, gearing or any other mods and I just want it to run as it was intended to is option 1 my best bet?

option 1 will not make you feel more power, it's just unlimited the highest rpm but it still derestriced by ECU as shown in dyno graph. After 7500 rpm, ECU open less sub-throttle and less injected fuel, the engine will run lower than its fully performance as see at green line.

option 2 may be the best. You will get the higher torque and hp since 5600 rpm as red line in the graph. But it just unrestrict to nearly engine's performance..

option 3 for the user who need to play or need more power. User may not need to adjust ECU yourself because some user adjused and share in the internet for download and I'm collecting them and will show on my blog (programmybike.blogspot.com/) or if want to tune, user may not have any experiance in tuning ECU before because it is very easy to learn (I feel a lot easier than riding its..lol).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Bike Talk 9
Back
Top Bottom