Klim Adventure Rally Air Jacket

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Designed for hot climates the kevlar mesh version of Klim's Adventure Rally jacket is billed as the ultimate extreme touring jacket. & so it should be at USD$ 1,300.

Klim Adventure Rally Air Jacket by Atomic-Moto

I've just received mine but havn't tested it yet

klim3 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Klim Rally Air Jacket
The Klim Adventure Rally Air Jacket offers great ventilation for those riders who find themselves in hot temperatures most of the time, while still providing exceptional protection from impacts and abrasion. When combined with the two-way stretch Gore-Tex Over-shell Jacket, it becomes a versatile riding suit from Alaska to Argentina, and everything in between.
Construction:

• Heavy duty Kevlar mesh construction with amazing tear and abrasion resistance
  • Stretch panels at elbow, shoulder for full range of motion
  • Large panels of Superfabric
    material at shoulder and elbow for excellent abrasion resistance
  • Reflective mesh material placement for increased low-light visibility

Protection:

• D3O Xergo
    shoulder and elbow pieces meets and exceed newest proposed CE level 2 limb protector standards [pren1621-1:2011]
  • D3O Viper Pro level 2 back piece exceeds level 2 impact performance standards for CE certification en1621-2 testing
Features:

• 8 external pockets: 2 in the upper chest, 2 lower center front, 2 large side hip pockets, 1 rear center back pouch and 1 upper left Spot pocket
  • 2 internal chest pockets and 1 hidden pocket
  • External hydration system pocket with external hose routing option over right shoulder to hose clip on right chest
  • 1 fully seam sealed removable roll top dry bag for delicates/electronics/wallet
  • Klim ID / emergency id pocket on left forearm (register your jacket online to build your custom ID card)

The first thing you notice is how extremely heavy it is, it feels twice as heavy as any motorcycle jacket ive ever lifted before, the kevlar mesh is super thick. Other people that have bought the jacket say that the internal protection harness spreads the weight evenly and you dont notice how heavy the jacket is when worn. There is loads of pockets everywhere. Once you get into a routine they will be very handy on a multi day trip, to keep the usual necessities at hand. Built in water bladder and pocket, very useful in these high temperatures.

klim2 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

The high tech. internal harness protection system gets positive reviews and is uncomplicated to wear

klim1 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

What is this ideal for?

This is a heavy, full on, big trip jacket, it is not designed for enduro day rides, you would tire and boil wearing it in no time. It probably offers the best protection ive ever seen in a jacket for impact and sliding down the road, the construction thickness is mindblowing. Probably your best option if price isnt a problem for multi day, big tours in hot climates

A couple of videos below, explaining the jacket. It;s quite a sophisticated piece of protection.

[video=youtube_share;iEcramxJhbo]http://youtu.be/iEcramxJhbo?list=UUer3DCDMQbAm9A-81XSLxpg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;9m0sgserZf8]http://youtu.be/9m0sgserZf8[/video]

Looks like one of those 'ultimate' products. Definitely a contender for a RTW combo. I've read riders commenting on both the weight and the cut of the jacket making them look fat!

"Does my bum look big in this?" :kat

I picked up a Klim Induction jacket while I was home... nice jacket... ran about $400... nowhere near the seeming suit of armor you bought, but it was a leap for me to stop using my low cost cheapie jacket and finally pay some decent money for a good one.

KlimInduction_zps224dd91f.jpg

1300 bucks !!

It better have a moist furry hole somewhere on it for that much !!!

Couple of weeks before my extended 2014 Beijing stay got my new set of Klim Adventure Rally II gear (black jacket + pants), expensive but worth every $$$$'s as very versatile and no need to carry extra rain gear, etc. along. Great ventilation and airflow with all them vents open and still finding pockets to stash gear, tools, electronics, food and beverage and honestly must state they (Klim ) hit the nail on the head, brilliant gear. Tested the ADV Rally set in a dry desert climate (Southern Hemisphere) for a few thousand k's just recently and works very well as expected....

ps: had a look at the grey Klim Adventure Rally Air gear as well but somehow don't like the Star Wars "StormTrooper" look...

Designed for hot climates the kevlar mesh version of Klim's Adventure Rally jacket is billed as the ultimate extreme touring jacket. & so it should be at USD$ 1,300.

Klim Adventure Rally Air Jacket by Atomic-Moto

I've just received mine but haven't tested it yet

What is the verdict .., any chance of an in depth user review ?

I live in SE Asia ( Indonesia ) .., and when it is not very hot and humid - it is humid and very hot :fan:

I have been looking at this Klim Air Adventure Jacket and Pants combo for some time now - and seeing as it is also not something you can find on the shelf to try on and decide here in SE Asia it is impossible to form an opinion, while a guess on sizing and having to make a blind super expensive international mail order purchase also seems a big gamble if you decide you want this kit.

Then there is it's ginormous weight , cheese grater looking mesh, general ugliness, and huge expense seem a turn off .., added to this the only reviews you ever see are from retailers , and they would tell you anything to get your hard earned dollars out of your pockets and into theirs.

Is this Klim setup a real 'functional' and comfortable contender for touring in SE Asia .., please - lets have some real users reports.

What is the verdict .., any chance of an in depth user review ?

I live in SE Asia ( Indonesia ) .., and when it is not very hot and humid - it is humid and very hot :fan:

I have been looking at this Klim Air Adventure Jacket and Pants combo for some time now - and seeing as it is also not something you can find on the shelf to try on and decide here in SE Asia it is impossible to form an opinion, while a guess on sizing and having to make a blind super expensive international mail order purchase also seems a big gamble if you decide you want this kit.

Then there is it's ginormous weight , cheese grater looking mesh, general ugliness, and huge expense seem a turn off .., added to this the only reviews you ever see are from retailers , and they would tell you anything to get your hard earned dollars out of your pockets and into theirs.

Is this Klim setup a real 'functional' and comfortable contender for touring in SE Asia .., please - lets have some real users reports.
I use the Klim Induction Jacket combined with Mojave Pants in Thailand both of these offer good protection and are made very well with lots of mesh, I'm sure the Adventure Air suit costs a lot more but will it do any better in the heat ???

The http://www.klim.com/Induction-Jacket-5060-001
http://www.klim.com/Mojave-Pant-3143-002

IMG_2332-2-XL.jpg

I'm sure the Adventure Air suit costs a lot more but will it do any better in the heat ???
Yes hopefully the owners of the 'AIR' suits will chime in to inform us better.
.., they are about 80-90% mesh all round though , so that has to make a huge difference to the airflow through the suit , especially when riding slowly in the tropics (example - in tricky off road, or in busy city traffic etc) - where traditional style jacket zipper VENTS don't sufficiently let enough cooling air to pass through.

I can see that orange chest protector and kidney belt being a big sweat pad (I am guessing) though in the Adventure Air .., but they are removable apparently.

As an optional added purchase - there is also a (super expensive) goretex wind / waterproof outer suit to fit over the top of the Adventure Air Suit .., which would be good rain option or for when climates became cooler during the ride - ie ; if you were to ride up into the mountains etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TB-Racing Apparel 4
KTMphil Apparel 2
B Apparel 6
bsacbob Apparel 4
Back
Top Bottom