Into Vietnam through the Phongsali border finger

I think one of the most important things to take on a exploring trip like this is a water filter pump. You dehydrate and go through water at an alarming rate using lots of energy in the jungle, being able to refill your water carrier with clean water from a stream is highly important. If you don't eat properly (snacks / cashews etc..) for a couple of days in this environment its really only a mild inconvenience, not having clean water could be life threatening.

I'm with you on the filter. Your trip was during cool season and you can get dehydrated easily even now, in four months your sweat rate and dehydration would be exponentially quicker due to the increase in temps that are normal around here.

Phil wrote: "If you don't eat properly (snacks / cashews etc..) for a couple of days in this environment its really only a mild inconvenience,....." My type 1 diabetes begs to differ:G

2 Malaysian riders on small capacity bikes in Huoay Xai, Laos, waiting for the ferry across the Mekong to get to Chiang Khong, Thailand.

2012-12-21_001443.jpg

A bursting bus on R 118 headed back to Chiang Mai

2012-12-21_001424.jpg

The CRF is a bit chubby for sure, but remember that Phil was trying to man-handle it on a wet and narrow ledge.

Phil, good effort on your own.
Next time, give me notice & I'll quit ,my job, fly over & you'll have a prison buddy for when you get arrested.
Thanks for the report.

I'll do that, you'd like this one!

How did your trip go? Is there a report in the making?

Phil, good effort on your own.
Next time, give me notice & I'll quit ,my job, fly over & you'll have a prison buddy for when you get arrested.
Thanks for the report.

I'll do that, you'd like this one!

How did your trip go? Is there a report in the making?

Yeah mate, just got back yesterday afternoon.
Have around 1300 photos & videos to sort through from 18 days on the road, so it may take a while.
Bit of a teaser... Don rang me while in VTE & he believes that apart from him, we may be the only other people to have done a certain section of track.

Have around 1300 photos & videos to sort through from 18 days on the road, so it may take a while.
Bit of a teaser... Don rang me while in VTE & he believes that apart from him, we may be the only other people to have done a certain section of track.

Fabulous, Don's been to many places in Laos where he probably will be the only one to ever go there! Glad you had a good time.

Don't keep us to long in suspense with your pictures and stories and the riddle of the track - let me make a wild guess - offroad south from Phongsaly to Road 1B

Back
Top Bottom