CRF 250L and Insurance

Capss

Bikes
Suzuki RF400R, BMW R1100S, BMW 1200GSA, BMW 800GS, Gas Gas 450F, Honda CRF250X Yamaha XT600E, Honda CB500x
Due to me being at work at the moment Ohm went to price up the CRF for me in Chum Phae. She came back with 130,000 for the 250L, 140,000 for the 250M and 160,000 for the Rally, so its given me some food for thought between the L and the Rally.
But she also said something about the insurance and about me not being covered if she takes out insurance and that its different to a car.
The plan was for Ohm to get the bike in her name as we are not married yet and with me working in Iraq I am popping in and out in the exemption stamps 4 times a year. Then for her to get some insurance for the bike so I can ride it! Ohm said that the guys in the shop said we can not do that and if she buys the insurance then i can not ride it because it wont cover me if I have an off and hurt myself and something about onny paying for the other vehicle involved. Maybe I am getting lost in Ohm trying to explain it to me?

So...is the bike insurance not like car insurance? We have class one car insurance which covers Ohm and I as drivers and gives us the medical too...i am lead to believe? Is the bike insurance an individual thing as opposed to a vehicle thing? So would me and Ohm have to have seperate insurances for the bike?

Another option is to try and get a certificate of residence from an Immigration Office and get the bike in my name, but I would prefer to wait till we get married to do that.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Wayne

Car insurance often has the option of covering only "named rivers" and this results often in a lower premium. However, I am not sure if a motorbike insurance has this option.

On the other hand, generally as long as the owner "authorizes" someone else to drive the vehicle, the authorized person is also covered but then again, this is Thailand as they say. If the guys in the shop are correct then a lot of people like family members who ride a motorbike bike owned by another family member or friend would be riding around without insurance although the compulsory part of the insurance (3rd party) would pay for damages for the other vehicle involved.

Probably best is to ask Ohm to get the name of the insurance company and call that company to find out what and who is covered.

Thanks for the info, yeah I will get her to find out. Maybe I get her to ring the insurance company who we have the car with.

Back
Top Bottom