Hello from Samut Sakhon

samuttodd

Bikes
CB 500X
This is my first posting here on this form. I recently moved from the Pacific northwest of the USA to my wife's hometown near Bangkok. We got settled in by the river next door to her sisters place.

I've been trying to get back in shape by my riding my bicycle a lot. I was able to get out and do 50 km yesterday it's just so damn hot. Pretty much have to be done doing your exercises no later than about 930 in the morning, or you can get into big trouble with the heat.

I used to have the Honda XR 650 L and just the other day I picked up a CB 500 X.
I looked around for a couple of weeks in got it second hand. I really like it it's got givi boxes and the guy before me put on LED floods (four of them.)

I ordered one of those strebel nautilus airhorns to mount up on the bike. I had one on my enduro back home and it kept me out of some bad situations.

I'm excited to get out and see more of this country I've been here Half a dozen times but this is the first time I've come with a visa that will allow me to stay much longer.

I got International drivers permit back home and I think it's good for another 90 days or so. Went down to the photography guy today and he took pictures so that I can get my license proper in Thailand. Heck I even got insurance and everything.

I'll be posting up some of our adventures on here, although I don't think I'm going to do any off-road stuff with this set up. I just don't like riding two up off the pavement.

I really like the Cb 500x it handles nicely and has enough juice for anything I'm going to do down here. Riding into town on the outskirts of Bangkok is a bit scary. I need to get some real motocross boots now I'm just wearing my Vietnam jungle boots and although they're fairly comfortable temperature wise they're not real riding boots. It probably be cheaper for me to get them back in the states and then just bring him over here because if I get this SidI Boots it's about 500 bucks. Still a lot cheaper than busting an ankle having to go to the hospital and take three months off.

Anyway hope to be sending out lots of cool pictures and stories of the places we've seen. I'm not sure who put the photos up on the slideshow the main forum page, but there're some great portraits of the people here.

Most of them don't have much money and live pretty Spartan lifestyle, but they're happy and :-) so there must be a lesson there somewhere

Welcome to rideasia.net forum. I'm a Thai living in Bangkok. While I don't ride dirt, I just bought a Kawasaki KLH 150BF to learn how to tackle damaged dirt roads. BTW try to learn more about sufficiency economy introduced by the late King Rama 9, and you'll under stand Thai way of life for most Thais. I hope you'll enjoy your experience living in Thailand. Samut Sakorn is a good province to live.

I looked up the info on Sufficency economy. It is interesting. I reckon we have that in my family. It is basically living within your means, "If you haven't got the money, then don't spend it." Seems like a common sense approach.

I looked up your KLH, that would be a great bike. Nimble and has enough juice to get up and go.

I had an enduro before and i LOVED it, but it was terrible for 2 up riding with a passenger. There was no room on the seat.

That CB500X is a good bike. It is unlikely it will see much off road use, but it will be the vehicle used to explore this country and hopefuly more of S.E. Asia.

It has enough room for 2 people and has luggage so we can take supplies and gear.

I think we are going to Cha Am this next week to check out the beach. It seems that the toughest part of travelling for us is just escaping the clamor of Bkk. So much traffic.

Welcome to the forum, the XR 650 would be quite a prize in SE Asia. If your looking for dirt there is an active group of riders in the Pattaya area. :your welcome:

I think we are going to Cha Am this next week to check out the beach. It seems that the toughest part of travelling for us is just escaping the clamor of Bkk. So much traffic.
You can go directly to Cha Am without having to get to Bangkok first. Just use highway #2. I'd recommend turning off a little past PTT station on the left, about a kilometre after crossing bridge over river at Samut Songkram. Ask your wife to gather information at PTT station about the route. This is a scenic route which takes you thru salt fields. You'll rejoin Petchkasem highway just before you arrive at left turn for Cha Am.

Back
Top Bottom