Hello from Darryl

daewoo

Bikes
Yamaha FZ1, 1984 XR250, KLR650 (past)
A lot of Thailand based riders already know me. I've been coming over from Australia for 25 years for riding trips ranging from a couple of days to a few weeks.

Most recently in Jan of this year with the last of my 3 sons that I've bought for tours.

I do have a question about insurance if anyone can help. My understanding is that hire bikes generally have no insurance, and Travel Insurance specifically excludes 3rd party liability for anything with a motor.

I always have medical insurance, but wonder if there is any in-country insurance that would cover the hire bike, personal and property if I was to hit someone.

Cheers, Darryl

Hi Darryl

Any bike that is registered and has a current tax sticker has required government insurance - which is medical only.

Covers anyone you hit for 50k baht, and some lesser amount for you.

Thanks Bob, my first tour guide... still helping me out, and Hi Colin.

@Bob, that first trip when I met you I had no insurance at all, no I'm a little bit more sensible. I know about the included medical, but I assume it won't go far if you hit a puu yai and they go to Bnagkok Internaitonal or something.

I thought I had found a TI policy that included 3rd party insurance, but hidden in the fine print, after searching motor, motorcycle, motorbike, the exclusion was hidden behind the word 'engine'.

Was hoping somone might know, but understand people who live in Thailand don't need Travel Insurance so it's probably the wrong audience.

When I have traveled to Europe on my own motorcycle I always take a policy through Navigator insurance as they seem to be one of the only companies that will insure you for riding motorcycles, the only exclusion they have is that you can't ride off road, you can ride on designated trails.
This is a UK company so not sure if they have a global network, however for some reason you have to actually be in the UK when you take the policy out. I'm pretty sure you will have something similar in OZ.

When I have traveled to Europe on my own motorcycle I always take a policy through Navigator insurance as they seem to be one of the only companies that will insure you for riding motorcycles, the only exclusion they have is that you can't ride off road, you can ride on designated trails.
This is a UK company so not sure if they have a global network, however for some reason you have to actually be in the UK when you take the policy out. I'm pretty sure you will have something similar in OZ.
Thanks Stuey. I'll follow this up.

Back
Top Bottom