GPS Recommendations

brian_bkk

Bikes
KLX 250 & Ninja 650
Hi Guys,

My first post on this forum.. looks like a great forum with lots of fantastic information.

Do any of you have a favourite GPS device for the Bike that you would recommend?
If so, what are the pros and cons..

Just assessing which type I should get when next in Singapore.

Cheers
Brian

Welcome Brian

as an all-rounder, you can't beat the Garmin 60 csx

automobile1268743183.jpg

Reasons

1. records your tracks - i don't think any of the nuvi range does this ---- great for trail riding

2. USD$ 260 on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-60C ... B000CSOXTO

3. waterproof ---- (really waterproof & incredibly durable)

4. has the 4 prong external power jack, 10x more robust than all the newer Garmin Gps's that use mini usb as powersource and disconnected due to vibration real easy

5. easy download from basecamp or mapsource of routes to the 60 csx

6. buttons not touch screen ---easy to use with gloves on

good review by cnet here

http://reviews.cnet.com/gps/garmin-gpsm ... 33787.html

if you want to spend some dough the new Garmin Montana 650 is the dogs nuts ...3d view, new software, super fast, but is around USD $650

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75227&ra=true

cf-lg.jpg

brian_bkk said:
Hi Guys,

My first post on this forum.. looks like a great forum with lots of fantastic information.

Do any of you have a favourite GPS device for the Bike that you would recommend?
If so, what are the pros and cons..

Just assessing which type I should get when next in Singapore.

Cheers
Brian

Agree with KTMPhil about the 60CX and the 60CSX (the 60CX does not have an electronic compass - is cheaper and has a longer battery life as the electronic compass draws quite a bit of power when used). However this unit as well as the 76 series have been discontinued by Garmin although both the 60 and the 76 units are still widely available.

The 60 and the 76 series have been replaced with the 62, 62 S and 62 ST and the 78 series. There is a good overview/review here - http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/62S/62-78.html.

With regard to what the best unit will be for you, much depends on what you want to use it for. I assume that you want to use it on the bike and than I would go for the 60/76 CX or CSX or the newer units or the Zumo's which were specifically designed for bike use. However, the latter units are quite expensive and personally I find them less user friendly but I am probably biased (I own two 60CX units). In case you just want to have a look from time to time on the GPS, the Nuvi series can also be good but these are not waterproof and far less sturdy then the above mentioned units as the Nuvi's are basically for use in a car.

Hope this helps - in case you have more specific questions just ask.

I've been looking at upgrading the 60CX to the 62S but so for I'm not convinced.
I like the idea of the 200 tracks, 10,000 track points etc. the 62S offers but it seems to be a trade off for ease of use compared to the 60CX which only has the ability to save 20 tracks with a max of 500 points/track when uploaded from PC.
LR, have you had much experience with the 62S with regards to auto file saving, naming & track logs stuff which seem to be the main complaints after reading a lot of reviews.

Pounce said:
compared to the 60CX which only has the ability to save 20 tracks with a max of 500 points/track when uploaded from PC.

You sure ?? I have done weeks of riding and had all my tracks there..

Make sure its set to save tracks to the SD card not the internal memory.

Maybe I just never hit the limit, but I didnt even know there was a limit.

Sorry, I should have worded that differently.
The GPS itself can only have 20 tracks active, you can get as many on the SD card as the SD card can hold.
It all comes down to track points though.
If I save a track to the PC with say 3000 points on it, then try to reload it back to the GPS, the maximum points you can have is 500, so either the track is truncated so you need to split it into several tracks or you have to modify it with a program back to 500 points so then you lose accuracy.
I think that's right this time.

OK so if I make tracks on the SD card they are unlimited (to the SD card space) but if I load them into the GPS via mapsource it truncates them ??

What happens if I just put them back on the SD card.. Does it still truncate..

Never knew this was a limitation, tho I dont make maps.

As far as I know you can transfer a track with a maximum of 10000 points to the map as an Active track - the 20 track limit is for saved tracks and these are limited to 500 points each. However, if you upload an Active track to the GPS, the GPS will either overwrite the active track the moment you switch on the GPS and you will loose part of the track or, depending on how you set up the GPS (Tick/Untick the box for "Wrap When Full" in Set-Up Tracks) and it will stop tracking if you have set the GPS to stop tracking when the memory is full.

Not sure how this works on the 62S as I don't own such a unit - It does have an option to Auto Archive the track memory to When Full, Daily or Weekly but not sure when the memory is considered to be "full" - guess this will be 10000 points. Depending on how you set up the track recording interval you could store tracks (Active Track) for a few days when set at Normal or Less Often.

My Garmin 62S auto archives tracks and this system seems to work just fine (once you've figured out what's going on)

Lone Rider said:
As far as I know you can transfer a track with a maximum of 10000 points to the map as an Active track - the 20 track limit is for saved tracks and these are limited to 500 points each. However, if you upload an Active track to the GPS, the GPS will either overwrite the active track the moment you switch on the GPS and you will loose part of the track or, depending on how you set up the GPS (Tick/Untick the box for "Wrap When Full" in Set-Up Tracks) and it will stop tracking if you have set the GPS to stop tracking when the memory is full.

Not sure how this works on the 62S as I don't own such a unit - It does have an option to Auto Archive the track memory to When Full, Daily or Weekly but not sure when the memory is considered to be "full" - guess this will be 10000 points. Depending on how you set up the track recording interval you could store tracks (Active Track) for a few days when set at Normal or Less Often.

Thanks all for your feedback.

I ended up getting the Zumo 660. A friend is bringing over from the US next weekend :-)

Nearly got the Montana.. but by the time you add the extras to fit it on the bike.. it costs nearly the same..

So figured on the Zumo.

Cheers
Brian

Brian - What were the reasons you decided on that made the zumo a better choice than the montana?

brian_bkk said:
Thanks all for your feedback.

I ended up getting the Zumo 660. A friend is bringing over from the US next weekend :-)

Nearly got the Montana.. but by the time you add the extras to fit it on the bike.. it costs nearly the same..

So figured on the Zumo.

Cheers
Brian

To be honest.. there was not much in it.. Put it down to personal preference.

Basically.. you didn't need to buy any extras for the Bike.. The Zumo comes with everything you need.
Has a suction cup for use in the car.
I don't need the geocaching feature.. use the iPhone for this.

Just thought the Zumo is better for me..

Cheers
Brian

I'm told that the Montana has the most up-to-date Garmin software which is what made it attractive (3d capabilities etc....).

brian_bkk said:
To be honest.. there was not much in it.. Put it down to personal preference.

Basically.. you didn't need to buy any extras for the Bike.. The Zumo comes with everything you need.
Has a suction cup for use in the car.
I don't need the geocaching feature.. use the iPhone for this.

Just thought the Zumo is better for me..

Cheers
Brian

Back
Top Bottom