GPS or Phone Zombie - Free Op-Ed

DrGMIA

Pit stop after 6th ride around the world, in USA,
Bikes
Oldest 1931, newest 2016, numerous makes and models in between on several continents
One of my acquaintances, an extremely talented motorbike operator, crashed some months ago, broke five ribs, cracked two others, bruised his lungs and had broken spinal process of C 5, spending some days in ICU. He said a column I had written was "spot on" as he'd been mid pack and looking at his GPS when he went off the side of the road and crashed, but had not read the column until he was recuperating.

An editor of a club magazine and their webmaster posted the column and wrote to me saying: “Back in September we were on a group ride when one guy went off the road. Not a bad curve. Really no reason. He had his phone with a GPS app mounted on the handlebars. I think he was playing with it. Seven weeks later and he is still in ICU in the hospital. He will probably pull out of it but will never be the same.”

He added that “It is very timely.” But for the two cases cited above, it’s closing the door after the horses have bolted. ;-(

The op-ed column is posted here free for a few days: https://www.seatrider.org/eyes-on-the-road

Be safe out there, eyes on the road.

Dr. G MIA
Chief of the World Adventure Affairs Desk, CITY BIKE, globally researching fishy and adventurous affairs
Sole Sexual Survivor: www.greataroundtheworldmotorcycleadventurerlly.com

Have to agree. I never look at instruments, mirrors or anything but the killing zone when there's possibilities of changes occurring.

Wise words there Greg, remind me never to ride behind Bigfella who never uses his mirrors :hmm

As recounted in the above referenced op-ed piece, following a "GPS Zombie," I watched him from behind as he approached a curve, bend over, head/eyes downward, one hand off the handlebars, looking like Cheetah trying to peel a banana held between Cheetah's feet. The GPS Zombie was trying to read his GPS. He piloted his motorcycle off the pavement at a 90 degree turn, his looking up in time to make 45 degrees of the 90. Below is a photo of that off-road adventure which was titled "The Time Cheetah Ate Grass."

"Cheetah" (aka The Wannabe RTW Adventure Rider Nevermore) was extremely lucky that day that there were no telephone poles, sign posts or water in the dirtch where he went off-road, and then as he wildly wobbled and dabbed 50-100 meters, missing the two curve sign warnings, until his front wheel washed out and he "ate grass."
Cheetah eats grass.JPG

(Photo provided by Irishman, Gary Walker, a veteran of the Isle of Man TT Race, who quickly managed all those curves)

Dr. G MIA
Chief of the World Adventure Affairs Desk, CITY BIKE, globally researching fishy and adventurous affairs
Sole Sexual Survivor: www.greataroundtheworldmotorcycleadventurerlly.com

Back
Top Bottom