Maps - Digital / GPS or hard copy - What do you like to use?

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
With the exponential growth in digital map data recording, I thought it might be a good idea to look at what travelers are using.

What do you use?

Do you use digital (GPS, phone data or tablet)? or do you use a hard copy map too?

With the rapid improvement in digital map data, we are definitely getting less and less riders asking how to get to somewhere every year.

My latest digital device is a big as a printed map and has the whole world in minute detail on it. This is a Samsung Galaxy View running Android. It's an 18.5 " screen and sells for around USD$ 450. Below you can see it running the Orux Maps App & the North Thailand GPS map we sell on the screen. Hopefully the pen gives you an idea of how big the screen is and how readable the map is ( ie printed map never needed).

It will search and auto route offline with downloaded maps.

Maps by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Since I got this device I have not felt the need to reach for a paper map ever, its quite remarkable.

Here running the free Sygic Map App, again free maps downloaded so will run and route without an internet data connection

Maps by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Below running OSM through the OSMAND App, again free downloadable maps so will route offline

DSC_0646.JPG by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Below is an interesting app that many dont use. The Galileo Map app (free) has downloadable country maps with just the right amount of detail for trip planning. With this big screen, no printed maps needed.

Gall by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Put the Galaxy View in your car/ truck, you have an amazing GPS, massive screen. Below shows it in split screen mode so you can run two things at once.

DSC_0647.JPG by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

For me, even if you are unfamiliar with the region you are going to travel through, with a screen like this, planning is easy, all the important route data is easy to find.

-
  • With a large GPS you get the big picture quickly. You can see the network of roads & trails and zoom to see whatever you want. With a printed map, you cannot zoom in on an important route change or destination area.
  • Big screen GPS you can plan your trip.
  • Over a beer everyone can look at the big screen map and play with zoom levels to explain route ideas.
  • Sit with the locals and amaze them with the map data of their area. It makes the touring of a new area fun.
  • Landmarks and POI's are easy to find when zoomed in on the big screen.
  • With so much data on the gps map, you zoom and you can find things that you would miss just using a printed map. Use the "find attractions" function and a plethora of POI's will show up that you can mark and route to.
  • 8 hours of battery life and the ability to plug into a vehicle power supply is now rarely an issue.
  • With a big screen GPS there is no losing your way as planning is easy, the luxury of being able to zoom in and out makes you immensely productive.
  • Many printed maps, especially of north Thailand, the roads and trails on them are 10 years out of date. Many of the trails are now paved ruining trail riding plans for may riders (we have them come complaining about the red maps all the time).

- Are digital maps the printed map killer because of cheap large screen gps's?

- Are printed maps needed in the future?

Digital mapping and GPS mapping are great and work very well, for all the points above I generally have my GPS as my main type of mapping and try to have a map on my phone as a bit of a back up. I prefer off line mapping for my phone.......
But having said that paper (hard copy) mapping is great and I always try to carry when I travel, I used paper maps for Thailand and Laos, I took them on my Balkans Trip and I even have a UK map in my car just in case. They weigh a lot or take up much room and IMO they are a must...You never know if all the digital maps are going to fail, flat battery, broken etc.
Off subject slightly, I even carry a silva compass, force of habit I think!

Wayne

Garmin Montane 600 / Garmin Montana 610, iPhone + iPad (Google Maps) and sometimes printed detailed track maps back in Australia and recently extensively in Moab (Utah)....

Garmin Montane 600 / Garmin Montana 610, iPhone + iPad (Google Maps) and sometimes printed detailed track maps back in Australia and recently extensively in Moab (Utah)....

Interesting to see how obsolete "out-of-date/ old printed maps" are becoming?

Interesting to see how obsolete "out-of-date/ old printed maps" are becoming?

Well - we never had reliable printed maps anyway freely available over here in the motherland. Got quite a map / road map (if you can call them road maps) collection spanning 27+ years in China and some are very interesting and have somehow collectors status. Everyone going driving / riding or traveling in China with myself asks about my sense of orientation and directions as pretty spot on most times, you learn the hard way I guess.

Using Garmin Zumo 220 in the past and for a quite a few years my favourite GPS, the Garmin Montana 600 / 610 and have no dramas as customised a few maps and loads them into the Garmun units for Mainland China...

Printed maps might go the same route as printed / digital magazines - both versions are available... 'nuff said....

Printed maps might go the same route as printed / digital magazines - both versions are available... 'nuff said....

We will do a PDF version of the North Thailand Road & Off-Road printed map soon.

Back
Top Bottom