GPS and Maps

MAX

Hey there,

hope you don´t mind me asking the third question today: (i´ll reward you with some riding reports once we´re there :) )

I´ve seen numerous reports about the experienced SA riders using gps devices.

is this just to track your personal route, can it be used in conjunction with a digital map to show you where you are?

or do you use it because there are no quality maps available and you just want to find the way home?

is it to find a new way to share with others? and, in this case, would you reccomend me to get one?

thanks alot, Max and Theresa (promise, last post for today)

Most of the riders are using a GPS with the standard country maps supplied by Garmin. While these maps are generally good, in many cases they don't show all the dirt tracks and in some cases they are not very accurate. For that reason a lot of the dirt riders record their own tracks so that are able to exchange them with friends who may be interested to ride in the same area. These tracks can also be added to special maps and for the North of Thailand there is now an "Offroad GPS Map" which is being maintained by me.

For Laos and Vietnam there is no official Garmin map and there are people who make their own map for these countries which is now available from a few places. It seems that for Vietnam the situation has changed as the latest version of the Garmin S.E. Asia map does now include Vietnam.

Difficult to say if you should get a GPS as I don't know what type of riding you want to do - in case you are mainly riding on paved roads, the existing paper maps should be enough.

GPS is used both to track where you have been - if you look at many of the trip reports you will see these tracks posted - and for navigation. The GPS'es you mostly see used by people touring on bikes have the ability to show maps, and are therefore not used 'in conjunction with' digital maps; they are the digital maps. It is still advisable to keep a paper map as a backup, particularly if you venture out into the country-side where there may not be as many road-signs, or they may not direct you to your final destination, but rather to some point along the way.

There are several maps available for SEA. There is the ESRI Thai Street Map (which I am not sure how you would get hold of ahead of time, for planning purposes, but others may be able to contribute here), the North Thailand Map (http://www.riderscorner.net/gps_maps_and_products) and the Laos GPS Map (http://www.laosgpsmap.com/). The latter two are offered by people on this board.

There are also free maps available for an abundance of countries if you search around a bit for 'osm' (OpenStreetMap) and 'gps'. These are GPS maps made from the information at the Open Street Map Project, which you can find at http://www.openstreetmap.org/. If you merely wish to cruise around on major roads, these should be sufficient, but if you wan't to get more adventurous in Thailand and Laos, for example, I would recommend getting the two maps mentioned above.

Having mentioned Garmin here, I would suggest that if you do decide to buy a GPS, buy a Garmin. There are a lot of maps available for them, and to be honest I can't remember ever seing a GPS on a bike that wasn't a Garmin. Get one of the map-capable devices, such as a GPSMap 60, 62, Montana or the like.

When using one of these maps you will be able to select your destination, along with any points you wish to go through along the way, and the GPS will figure out the route for you and show you on the display where to go (this requires that the maps you get are routable, but the ones I mentioned for Thailand and Laos are). The GPS can also help keep you out of trouble in for instance Bangkok, where the shortest route may involve a toll-road, where motorcycles aren't allowed. Telling the GPS to disregard these routes will make it find another way of getting to where you want to go. Another advantage with routing on the GPS is that if you miss a turn somewhere (you weren't paying attention, the road was closed due to road works or whatever) it will re-calculate the route for you on the fly and give you a new route (as experienced users will know, this doesn't always help in the case of a blocked road, though, as it may insist that you go back there and try again, but hey, it's an adventure, right?).

If you intend to bring a laptop with you, you can also install these maps on there and plan your trips ahed of time (easier on a bigger screen). Once you have made a route on the laptop, you can download this to the GPS via a USB-cable, and you're good to go.

I won't go into all the details about how to do all these marvellous things; others have done that before me and there i plenty of information available on the net. Suffice it to say that I would definitely recommend a GPS for any bike-trip such as the one you are planning. Enjoy!

MAX said:
Hey there,

hope you don´t mind me asking the third question today: (i´ll reward you with some riding reports once we´re there :) )

I´ve seen numerous reports about the experienced SA riders using gps devices.

is this just to track your personal route, can it be used in conjunction with a digital map to show you where you are?

or do you use it because there are no quality maps available and you just want to find the way home?

is it to find a new way to share with others? and, in this case, would you reccomend me to get one?

thanks alot, Max and Theresa (promise, last post for today)

Hi there Max, we're all looking forward to your reports ;)

There might be another subtle benefit not obvious from the other 2 posts above & that is that despite having a paper map with many major roads marked (but not all) and aphysical understanding of being east of some point & west of another etc, it is extremely useful to be able to venture down non paper mapped roads that are not 'tracks' by any means, they are very nice bits of tarmac and be fairly comfortable that you can ride them knowing which direction you are heading towards in respect of your known paper mapped larger roads.

Like Tom mentioned, using a computer with software like Mapsource(pc) or Basecamp(mac) you can view where you have been and on a big screen rather than just the handheld device. You can even utilise google earth and realise the track there too.

Captain Slash and other posters on this forum enjoy sharing their gps tracks for others to enjoy. Lone Rider did something a bit special with some of Captain Slash tracks and you can see them compiled here...

Welcome to RideAsia :RO

Ally

thanks for all the information, munch appreciated!

i´m looking into used ones on ebay atm.

MAX said:
thanks for all the information, munch appreciated!

i´m looking into used ones on ebay atm.

Garmin Montana 600 series seems currently to be the most outstanding GPS. the Garmin 60 & 62 series are also excellent.

Just came across this nifty page: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/. It shows you a world map, divided into a lot of boxes of varying sizes. You can then click on the box(es) you are interested in and enter your email address. Your request will be added to a queue and when it has finished making your map it sends you an email with a link where you can download it from. The map is based on the Open Street Map data, is routable and free. As mentioned in an earlier post however, it won't have as much detail as some of the commercial maps. There is also a list of OSM-based Garmin maps you can download at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download.

we´ve been looking into it and it seems a decent gps comes up to well above 200€ in germany. does anybody know if i can get it cheaper in e.g. Kuala lumpur?

MAX said:
we´ve been looking into it and it seems a decent gps comes up to well above 200€ in germany. does anybody know if i can get it cheaper in e.g. Kuala lumpur?

Most probably will be more expensive over here - at least in Thailand it is considerable more expensive (sometimes double of the price in the US)and I assume in Malaysia as well. The cheapest seems to be when you buy it in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom