Good value hotels in Bangkok

Russ McDermid

Bikes
Honda Transalp XL700VA in the UK, and a CRF250L & V-strom in Thai.
New Chic hotel next to Nana Plaza (Soi 4) in Bangkok.

Stumbled upon a brand new hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 4 last month, so if you like "clean, secure, quiet, & new" then this is the place.
Called DI Place, has about 20 rooms, ranging from 770 Bht to 880 Bht depending on size & features in the room. It also does short time at 300 Bht.
Free WIFI in reception, and internet PC available for small charge.
To find, walk along Soi 4 from BTS end, past Nana Plaza, past Hillary2 bar on left, then turn left as you reach the Tavern, down a small Soi (unofficially named, Scott Place) small2011 Thai May (307)1.jpg
The GPS co-ordinates are N13.73978 E100.55336
small2011 Thai May (311)1.jpgsmall2011 Thai May (294)1.jpgsmall2011 Thai May (295)1.jpg
Russ.

Re: New Chic hotel next to Nana Plaza (Soi 4) in Bangkok.

Russ - What's Nana Plaza? A shopping center?

KTMphil said:

Hmm, thought that you as an old hand to Bangkok would know but here is a small write-up of what you can expect:Nana Plaza Bangkok (NEP)

Nana Plaza BangkokNana Entertainment Plaza (NEP) is best described as three floors of fun. Disneyland for adults!

Unlike the more famous, and larger Patpong, Nana Plaza is a predominantly adult scene. It is comprised almost exclusively of bars and bars have a minimum age of entry of 20 years. It also has no market area other than the street stalls along Soi Nana which mainly supply food. Put simply it is three floors of bars, comprising around 40 gogo bars, four or five larger beer bars and a clutch of smaller beer bars in the ground floor square.

Hey Phil,
Thought u knew - Yes, its a shopping center, of sorts !!
Best, Russ.

You surprise me Phil....

I've always enjoyed shopping there..... ;)

I had reason to honour Bangkok with my feeble presence and with that the hotel in question, upon my check in –during which I perceived a quaint smell of urine?? -I was informed by the desk staff (a male of questionable sexuality) that the room I had chosen contained a queen size bed and was not a very big room, furthermore that it also lacked fenestration.

As my planned sojourn in the country’s capital was a short one, coupled with the fact that it was on the third floor in one of the cities most densely built up areas I did not object to the lack of windows, I also voiced my opinion about the room size thus “I shall only be honouring your establishment with my presence for a mere 5-6 hours and I will be entirely comfortable with a small room for this short period of time”.

During my wait for the elevator (rated for 5 people but only large enough to accommodate one grown up and possibly but not very likely one to two cats) I was the recipient of the sound of two people in room 103 doing the back with two beasts –I admit to not actually hearing him but she sounded good.
Unknown to me the queen size reference was a reference to the size of the entire room and not limited to the bed itself –the room was only slightly larger than the queen size bed situated in it –imagine a bed with walls on 3 sides and you get the picture immediately.

To their defense the room was spick and span (not much to clean if you get what I mean, a teatowel would wipe the entire room nicely) and the check in clerk did inform me of the limited space, anyhow I reckoned that it would do the job.

After a trip to a food establishment and a rather longer visit to Las Vegas a go go managed by Jay Bolt (where after an undisclosed amount of Gin and Tonics I managed amongst other things to offer to pay the balance of a mans bar tab if they would let me push him down the stairs and collect his teeth for a nice but somewhat quaint necklace) I staggered resolutely back to my before mentioned hotel room only to find out that the room was not large enough to accommodate both me and my drunkenness, my drunkenness was simply left outside the room and I slept fitfully for a few hours before my wake up and the need to get motivated.

I flagged a taxi at the entrance of the soi and expressed my wish to immediately proceed to the airport, at this point my drunkenness who had been left outside the room had rejoined me and I was starting to feel somewhat overcome, the driver of the chariot seemed to only know one rule of the road (he who arrives first wins) and it was with a cold sweat forming upon my body that we got to the airport, upon arrival the driver ignored the normal procedure letting a customer alight from his vehicle and instead screeched to a halt with horn blearing in front of another taxi ready to leave the taxi stand –happy to have arrived in one piece and not dead on arrival, I paid the driver the meter fare plus a tip to keep the young man in yabba or whatever “ups” he so clearly took, upon setting foot on the ground I saw a couple in need of a ride and I hollered at them “take this taxi, he is really really fast”, my logic being that if they took the taxi the driver may not stalk me into the building and stab me repeatedly in the back with a cornstalk or whatever he may have upon his body and deeming suitable to use to incapacitate me in order to liberate me of my meager belongings to pay for his drug habit.

Once safely inside the airport building I proceeded to the food court for some much needed produce in order to dilute the alcohol content in my stomach, the girl at the Burger King counter and myself agreed that a Junior Whopper (it just tastes better) was just what the doctor –had he been present- would have ordered and I made a total ass out of myself in the process.

I am not saying that the night and ensuing morning is the fault of the hotel in question, it is merely implied to be that, however you all know what they say “no smoke without fire”, I may stay there again but next time I will definitely only br4ing a wallet, not my hand luggage as the room was too cramped with that in there together with me.

Hassman you should do standup--that was a good travelogue.

Here in the Philippines I kid you not but even large, reputable hotels (like the "Businessman Hotel" on Colon Street in downtown Cebu, the second largest city in the Philippines) do NOT HAVE HOT WATER. No. And nobody complains! Apparently I've been told that the locals usually don't install hot water in their own homes. The climate is so warm that they do without. And I did without as well, though it was a bit too cold for full comfort for me. But for a mere $18 a night, you cannot really complain.

Considering English isn't your primary language, your vast vocabulary is quite astonishing, I tip my hat to you. Shame to hear the rooms are rather small as its location is very convenient.

Hassman said:
I had reason to honour Bangkok with my feeble presence and with that the hotel in question, upon my check in –during which I perceived a quaint smell of urine?? -I was informed by the desk staff (a male of questionable sexuality) that the room I had chosen contained a queen size bed and was not a very big room, furthermore that it also lacked fenestration.

As my planned sojourn in the country’s capital was a short one, coupled with the fact that it was on the third floor in one of the cities most densely built up areas I did not object to the lack of windows, I also voiced my opinion about the room size thus “I shall only be honouring your establishment with my presence for a mere 5-6 hours and I will be entirely comfortable with a small room for this short period of time”.

During my wait for the elevator (rated for 5 people but only large enough to accommodate one grown up and possibly but not very likely one to two cats) I was the recipient of the sound of two people in room 103 doing the back with two beasts –I admit to not actually hearing him but she sounded good.
Unknown to me the queen size reference was a reference to the size of the entire room and not limited to the bed itself –the room was only slightly larger than the queen size bed situated in it –imagine a bed with walls on 3 sides and you get the picture immediately.

To their defense the room was spick and span (not much to clean if you get what I mean, a teatowel would wipe the entire room nicely) and the check in clerk did inform me of the limited space, anyhow I reckoned that it would do the job.

After a trip to a food establishment and a rather longer visit to Las Vegas a go go managed by Jay Bolt (where after an undisclosed amount of Gin and Tonics I managed amongst other things to offer to pay the balance of a mans bar tab if they would let me push him down the stairs and collect his teeth for a nice but somewhat quaint necklace) I staggered resolutely back to my before mentioned hotel room only to find out that the room was not large enough to accommodate both me and my drunkenness, my drunkenness was simply left outside the room and I slept fitfully for a few hours before my wake up and the need to get motivated.

I flagged a taxi at the entrance of the soi and expressed my wish to immediately proceed to the airport, at this point my drunkenness who had been left outside the room had rejoined me and I was starting to feel somewhat overcome, the driver of the chariot seemed to only know one rule of the road (he who arrives first wins) and it was with a cold sweat forming upon my body that we got to the airport, upon arrival the driver ignored the normal procedure letting a customer alight from his vehicle and instead screeched to a halt with horn blearing in front of another taxi ready to leave the taxi stand –happy to have arrived in one piece and not dead on arrival, I paid the driver the meter fare plus a tip to keep the young man in yabba or whatever “ups” he so clearly took, upon setting foot on the ground I saw a couple in need of a ride and I hollered at them “take this taxi, he is really really fast”, my logic being that if they took the taxi the driver may not stalk me into the building and stab me repeatedly in the back with a cornstalk or whatever he may have upon his body and deeming suitable to use to incapacitate me in order to liberate me of my meager belongings to pay for his drug habit.

Once safely inside the airport building I proceeded to the food court for some much needed produce in order to dilute the alcohol content in my stomach, the girl at the Burger King counter and myself agreed that a Junior Whopper (it just tastes better) was just what the doctor –had he been present- would have ordered and I made a total ass out of myself in the process.

I am not saying that the night and ensuing morning is the fault of the hotel in question, it is merely implied to be that, however you all know what they say “no smoke without fire”, I may stay there again but next time I will definitely only br4ing a wallet, not my hand luggage as the room was too cramped with that in there together with me.

The location of the D.I Place Hotel is in the bottom center of the map below:

D I Hotel nan plaza.jpg

Talking to a friend that manages an establishment in Nana Plaza, for a comfortable, good value room, he recommends the Majestic Suites Hotel, which is on Sukhumvit road, almost on the corner of soi 4 (road to Nana Plaza! ) The hotel address is 110-110/1 4-6 ,Sukhumvit Road, Khong Toey, Khlong Toei, 10110 Bangkok.

One link for booking is here:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/majesti ... 6wodTlk2uQ

Looks like a double room is about 1,650 bht a night now (low season), photo of the room below:

majestic hotel price.jpg

Map of the Embassy Suites Hotel, Bangkok location is below:

majestic hotel map.jpg

Majestic Suites is my preferred place to stay, when I'm traveling alone...
When with the GF, I prefer to stay far away from Soi 4..

Hi Hass,
Sorry to hear about the poor experience ... for any future visitors, they do have a multitude of rooms and it would be worth viewing them first. I paid the 100 bht more, and did have a really decent room, with huge windows, and plenty of space for my drunkenness !
Cheers, Russ.

I still want to give this place a shot when i'm down there next Russ -- it does look like a good find

Russ McDermid said:
Hi Hass,
Sorry to hear about the poor experience ... for any future visitors, they do have a multitude of rooms and it would be worth viewing them first. I paid the 100 bht more, and did have a really decent room, with huge windows, and plenty of space for my drunkenness !
Cheers, Russ.

Good value hotels in Bangkok

On the way back from Bira racetrack Pattaya, we gave the Maxim Inn a try on Soi 7/1 off Sukhumvit Rd. Low season rate without breakfast was 980 bht.

I would stay there again location and room made it good value for money

My room

maxim inn bkk soi 7 1.jpg

maxim inn bthrm.jpg

maxim inn  1.jpg

From the website

pic2.jpg

gallery8.jpg

Location in Bangkok (it's right at the end of Soi 7/1 on the left)

MAXIM INN BANGKOK.jpg

Website

http://www.maximinn.com/index.html

They can get you a metered taxi to take you to the airport for around 350 Bht fare

Bangkok Hotel with Secure Bike Parking Recommendation

Can anyone recommend any Bangkok Hotels with secure bike parking?

I need to travel to Bangkok to pick up my new US Passport and was debating weather or not to make it a bike trip. Possibly riding over to Cambodia, up to Laos then returning home here in Ubon.

Thanks,
Jim

Now 2 more on the same Soi

In the same vein as DI Place, now two more Boutique hotels have sprung up, another 25 mtrs down this Soi.

The Cheqinn, and Da Bed Hotel.

Both are newly renovated, spotlessly clean, and are around 1000 bht /night depending on the room size & no of beds.

The Cheqinn does offer a dormitory style room around 600 bht, but I understand the house rules are quite strict !

Bikes can be left in the quiet Soi outside but security would depend on the presence of the hotel receptionist.

The number for the Cheqinn is 026567925, and Da Bed is 022512246.

Just a couple of more choices if you like clean & new.

Russ.

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 490
Chatrium Hotel Riverside, Bangkok

Amazing location on the Praya River, running promotions for a river view huge suites for 3,000 Bht a night (reduced from 10,000 a night)

Really amazing views

DSC_2819_edited by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Great suites

itemImage_21.jpg

Beautiful pool overlooking the river

itemImage_21.jpg

Free boat shuttle to BTS station every 15 minutes

Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok | Home

Night view of Bangkok

11169802_10153840879493345_8163895979883325656_o.jpg

Hi

I use now for a few years Galleria 10 at Sukhumvit Soi 10 if i have to stay in Bangkok
even without a Bike or Car .
Tel: 0066 2 6150999
info@galleriatenbangkok.com

They have a Garage under the Hotel , only access is via a Car-Elevator and the Hotel Staff is parking the Cars .
Guess they take also Bikes and depend the Staff can not drive a Big Bike you need to park the Bike by yourself .
Thats as secure as it can get .

They take 2100 THB a Night in Low season for the Room , don't remember if thats with or without Breakfast (Western buffet, good coffee )
I Choose it mostly for the very quiet but central location , comfortable Bed and "smoking rooms"

Back
Top Bottom