Garmin Montana Mini USB

bsacbob

Administrator (Retired)
Bikes
Honda CRM-AR 250, Honda CRF 250-L, Suzuki V Strom XT 650 Honda XR250 Baja BMW F650GS
Having the touch of a midwife i have damaged the mini usb connector on one of my Garmin Montana's, i have tried to source a fix locally but to no avail. Anybody know where i may be able to get it fixed without having to ship it back to the USA and incurring taxes etc ?

This is the good one.

2015-05-18 08.20.27.jpg

The broken one, looks like with of the connecting pins is broken or bent.

2015-05-18 08.20.59.jpg

Already tried that, they say it larger than a phone usb..

Eagle GPS in CM might know how to fix it?

Maybe someone has a dead Garmin that can be a donor?
My GPSmap 60CSx seems to have the same connector.

Bob - you might try a camera repair shop. Some digital cameras use the mini USB - my old Sony does.

Thanks never thought of camera shops will give it a try

It may be worth an email to Garmin Aus Bob.
I have had a couple of replacement parts from them for free that I couldn't purchase as they take them off old damaged units.
My latest one is a new back door for the Montana.
My usual ploy is to ask them for something, & their payment options & viola, an email saying they'll send one out.

aus.support@garmin.com

This is chiang rai Phil. The wheel was only invented last week, things move slowly here.

Hi Bob

If you found someone that replace the Mini USB Plug and use a Plug from some other device like Camera or Phone .
It need all 5 Pins to be usefull in a Garmin montana .

USB mini Standart is 5 Pins but most Device use only 4 like on the bigger USB Plug + and - for Power supply and + and - for Data .

Garmin however use the 5te Pin in USB Mini Plug with a jumper to Ground or +5V (don't remember )

Thats the reason why updates work only with the original Garmin Cable .
So the New Plug in your Montana need all 5 pins correct conectet or you get Problems to Update that thing in the future.

Back
Top Bottom