Friday Trail Riding Meet - 4th November, 2011

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Friday Trail Riding Meet - 4th November, 2011

This was the first Friday Trail Riders (Mr. Stokes has requested the name to be changed to "Northern Off-Road Brigade" - N.O.B!) meet & was a highly successful start.

Darren got back from Dubai last night jet-lagged so wasn't able to make it, Axel same, Jon was having a tooth pulled,Hass is back to work,Kevin had a birds nest in his air filter,Max has his Mum here (not allowed out to play), Alex Uk is in Malaysia, Alex USA is working,Sefton's float bowl is stuck on his 2-stroke, Mark, Luke & Justin are away. With some of the backbone of this idea away, we were tempted to wait, but we still got together and gave it a shot & it worked fine, good to see riders are up for this.

Gordie came all the way from Phrao on his 2011 WR 450F, Johnny on his WR 450F, Lew on his KDX 250 2-stroke, Con on his KLX 250 & me on a DRZ 400.

The PTT fuel station ON R 107 (ROAD NORTH TO MAE RIM) 3.6km north of the super-highway (R 11) on the LHS going north opposite the yellow Cockpit tire store. Good to meet outside the city as many have motocross bikes that are for trail use.

6311880026_bf2ff4fd06_b.jpg

This was the route we'd discussed and agreed upon, north of Mae Rim towards the Tard Mork waterfall, then north more towards R 1095 with plenty of dirt trails

route revised.jpg

They'd been some rain the night before didn't cause ant real problems apart from a few bits of greasy clay.

6311359111_f5cb477c01_b.jpg

Swiss Gordie with his aluminum frame WR 450F

6311879582_1ee2e37763_b.jpg

Mark has scouted most of this area and without his trails we probably wouldn't know where to go, he's found some great stuff. Some of it is pretty steep, rocky in places.

6311879484_c4fe1670c9_b.jpg

Con & Lew

6311358699_b2c693f243_b.jpg

We'd never done this trail before - & came across a landslide with a tree down, luckily there was a way around to the right (pretty steep down here too)

6311878612_7efdb2be46_b.jpg

Getting Gordies WR 450F around the tree

6311879110_94e721cf4d_b.jpg

Why does it never look steep in photo's!!

6311878478_00517fa2c2_b.jpg

6311357831_8a4f865161_b.jpg

Lew with his roosting, picked up a nail in his back tire and had to ride 7km north to R 1095 to get the tube changed

6311876620_d0d9b5ee4d_b.jpg

A local farmer making easy work of the terrain

6311356015_5de5f6bd90_b.jpg

Drink stop

6311876464_3c73356107_b.jpg

A lot of the rice in this area has turned yellow ready for harvesting, here the cutting in progress

6311355815_e2c72e3f2d_b.jpg

Fantastic views up towards the Mok Fa waterfall

6311355625_ec8742da9e_b.jpg

Lew & Jonny

6311875480_3a26cb5f0c_b.jpg

Mr. Con dis-mounting

6311875342_249608f725_b.jpg

Getting the bikes washed off at the end of the day -- a great days riding had by all

6311875244_999426de58_b.jpg

Looks like good fun. I'm digging that KDX - with the proper rider, it must be an awesome bike for around here.

I can take some Fridays off once the owner of our factory is back in the country next month. See you then.

we are planning another Friday trail ride (the "Norther Off-Road Brigade" - N.O.B for short) on Friday 11th November, 2011.

Meeting at the first PTT fuel station on R 107 3.6 km north of the super-highway (R 11) on the left (western side), opposite the yellow Cockpit tire store (on the eastern side of R 107), seems to be a good meeting spot for all.

file.php

Fantastic first NOB outing. Let's hope it gathers momentum and turns into something we can all look forward to on a Friday, I know I will be.
Although there was plenty of dirt riding there was still an element of Tarmac I think could have been replaced with trails to make it even more enjoyable. I would suggest posting up the proposed route for the next meeting early so everyone can give some input.
I'd like to do the "trail of many river crossings again" around the west of Handong area. See if we can get all the way around this time instead of doubling back. Should be great with a big group. I'm off working for while so hopefully we can keep this one on ice til I get back!

See all again soon.....

Great days riding today.

My KDX is a 220 road-trail bike with auto lube,Made in Japan.
I`ve upped the specs with a 30ml D slide Oko-Keihin PWK copy carb,Pro Circuit woods chamber and Boyesen reeds.
It handled the ride very well today....except for the flat,but that can happen to anyone.

Thanks to Phil for organising the day
John for showing us the way
Con for coming prepared with,amongst many other things,a spare rear tube that got me out of trouble
Gordie for pointing out the good coffee shop that had a workshop across the road that changed my tube for 60 baht while we ate lunch

Definitely will be doing this on a regular basis.

Zoomed map of the dirt areas we rode.

The eastern trail , that runs north/ south has some very steep areas and bamboo tunnels, towards the southern end there are some steep rutted sections.

trail zoom.jpg

Nice. I'm in starting the 25th (2 more weeks).
We'd never done this trail before - & came across a landslide with a tree down, luckily there was a way around to the right (pretty steep down here too)

Phil, looks like I know exactly where you were:
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1URu5Kj7bc&feature=youtu.be&t=7m13s[/VIDEO]

(link should start video at 7min13)

Dunno.. Its not just me being my usual anti social self.. Its that Sams KDX let him down recently and it would suck balls to be out on a group ride and him be the bike that needs attention or is a problem.. With just us its much less of an issue and easier to laugh it off or change plans.

Just had a rocking morning.. Nahm Prea, samoeng rd, suthep, and the Huey Tung Tao trails, which were bloody superb. Great fun on the little smokers, cooler temps here, just a perfect morning. precisely why I came up north.

I should just man the fuck up, grow a pair, and get Darrens YZ, then Sam could ride my WR... Decisions decisions..

KTMphil said:
Darren, Jon, Lew, LivinLOS

-are you around this Friday?

I had a slide off the KTM with Jon and Jonny on Sunday, got my knee stuck under the bike and its twisted it.

MRI showed a PCL tear so I'll not be riding for quite a while.

What's really annoying is that it was such a low speed incident, just an arkward knee movement. I better invest in some knee braces I think!

LivinLOS said:
Dunno.. Its not just me being my usual anti social self.. Its that Sams KDX let him down recently and it would suck balls to be out on a group ride and him be the bike that needs attention or is a problem.. With just us its much less of an issue and easier to laugh it off or change plans.

Just had a rocking morning.. Nahm Prea, samoeng rd, suthep, and the Huey Tung Tao trails, which were bloody superb. Great fun on the little smokers, cooler temps here, just a perfect morning. precisely why I came up north.

I should just man the fuck up, grow a pair, and get Darrens YZ, then Sam could ride my WR... Decisions decisions..

Yeah with your Fireblade at Nat's and your DRZ to follow in a short while, for a bigger overhaul, the other bikes in your stall needs some new company.

Thats right... The quiver is getting empty.. Time to restock !!

I cant believe YOUR giving me shit for having too many bikes !!

Sorry to hear that LUFC

Hassman was able to source some quality knee braces from the Rayong area, i'm interested too, so i'll investigate what he can get and how much.

\
LUFC said:
KTMphil said:
Darren, Jon, Lew, LivinLOS

-are you around this Friday?

I had a slide off the KTM with Jon and Jonny on Sunday, got my knee stuck under the bike and its twisted it.

MRI showed a PCL tear so I'll not be riding for quite a while.

What's really annoying is that it was such a low speed incident, just an arkward knee movement. I better invest in some knee braces I think!

LivinLOS said:

Get a kick start 4 stroke XR250?

KTMphil said:
LivinLOS said:

Wash your mouth out !!

Lew just contacted me and asked me to say hes in deepest darkest issan and wont be there.

Looks like we'll postpone this Friday's trail riding until next week, as Darren has a busted knee, seftons bike's won't start, Lew is in deepest Isaan, Jon's on Singapore, Hass is in China, Max's mum is here, Alex UK is in Malaysia, Alex U.S is working 3 more are in Laos...

...so a week on Friday we go again

LivinLOS said:
KTMphil said:
LivinLOS said:

Wash your mouth out !!

Lew just contacted me and asked me to say hes in deepest darkest issan and wont be there.

If you want a Sat ride Sam and I might make it (nothing wrong with my smoker.. Last one left !!).. Keep it simpler and closer to home in case of his carb. HTT trails were fun and I dont know a lot of them.

Tonight is LK and tomorrow may involve borocca, head holding, rehydration, "never again" and other lies..

Matt & I are going trail riding tomorrow (Friday 11th), leaving my place 10.30am. This is not an official NOB Friday trail riding, you are welcome to join us.

Back
Top Bottom