fight the northen burnings!

mamos

Bikes
600 transalp, R100 GS, Versys
Hi guys,
for those who are fed up with the Northern seasonal burnings, here is a link to sign a petition to be sent then to the Prime Minister Mrs Shinawatra.
http://www.breathecampaign.net
Of course the mentality will not change tomorrow but at least this initiative deserves to be supported
thanks

Ok, so if I understand it correctly you reckon that we -foreigners- should sign a petition telling the local farmers to stop doing what they have done for the last several hundred years?

The website you link to states that there are alternatives to burning but they never mention what these alternatives may be -they do state that lack of education and laziness is the reason for the burning but they are too lazy themselves to educate the reader as to what the alternatives may be.

So yet another piss and moan about Thailand without any constructive solutions to the problem.

Well said Hass.
rains will wash all the smoke away in a few weeks anyway. DEAL......WITH......IT
or move to bangkok like I did..

Just had a read and signed the petition, it can't do any harm. Agree im probably pissing in the wind. Never really understood why all the burning took place and now I know because of that link. What are the alternatives to burning? It seems like the burning is the the most efficient and cost effective way, the alternatives are probably expensive and time consuming, how will local farmers be convinced/educated with that in mind!
Ive just learnt that one of my daughters has produced a cough as a direct result of it, she's now wearing face masks around the house WTF. Im out the country at the moment so can only imagine how bad it is at the moment. Im seriously considering moving elsewhere for the health of my family.
Chiang Mai is a great place only ruined by this nonsense.

Stokes70 said:
Well said Hass.
rains will wash all the smoke away in a few weeks anyway. DEAL......WITH......IT
or move to bangkok like I did..

Im going to be sarcastic now. Isn't Bangkok like that 365 days of the year!

cityday.jpg

No, The Bangkok skyline does not look like that every day of the year. I have a 20th floor condo in Bangkok and on many, many days I have a nice clear view.
How are they going to stop the Sugar farmers, which my wife is one of, from burning their crop each year to harvest. Same problem but no bitching.
This is Thailand, not some nanny state western country and I wouldn’t hold my breath (no pun intended) waiting for some government order to stop burning. Life goes on, or it stops !!

johnnysneds said:
Ive just learnt that one of my daughters has produced a cough as a direct result of it, she's now wearing face masks around the house WTF. Im out the country at the moment so can only imagine how bad it is at the moment. Im seriously considering moving elsewhere for the health of my family.

I`m in the same boat as you Johnny.

My 7 month old was having coughing fits in the middle of the night and coughing during the day.Took him to doctors rushed him to hospital a couple of times to no avail.Then i sent him and the GF back to her mum and dads in Isaan and the coughing stopped after a few days...so it was the smoke here in CM that was causing it.

I really love it here and the smoke is the only negative and a really big one at that!

I really don`t know where else i could live,Nan Loei,get a shack in Isaan as a refuge from the smoky season here??...dunno,but it`s certainly something i`ve got to consider.

Brian66 said:
No, The Bangkok skyline does not look like that every day of the year. I have a 20th floor condo in Bangkok and on many, many days I have a nice clear view.

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter jibe or taunt"

Sorry, didn't expect it to be taken seriously! :DD

This petition is totally useless, like the PM minister is going to take this seriously...
1) Half the people on the list are not even in Thailand.
PetitionList.png
2) The PM is supported by the same people that burns.
3) There is no other way for the farmers than burning. Also as Hassman said the site doesn't even propose any alternatives (because there aren't any viable ones).

Though we alI agree the pollution is bad during one month a year in Chiang Mai, we just have to live with it.

Loop said:
johnnysneds said:

I`m in the same boat as you Johnny.

My 7 month old was having coughing fits in the middle of the night and coughing during the day.Took him to doctors rushed him to hospital a couple of times to no avail.Then i sent him and the GF back to her mum and dads in Isaan and the coughing stopped after a few days...so it was the smoke here in CM that was causing it.

I really love it here and the smoke is the only negative and a really big one at that!

I really don`t know where else i could live,Nan Loei,get a shack in Isaan as a refuge from the smoky season here??...dunno,but it`s certainly something i`ve got to consider.

A "refuge" for a month or two is what ive been thinking of too. The only problem is schooling. My daughters start the school this year, not 100% but I don't think there is a lengthy enough break during the burning season.
Does Nan not get it just as bad as here?
This is probably a boring subject for folk that have lived in Chiang Mai for years. Its the first time ive experienced it, was quite embarrassing having visitors for the month of February, don't think they will be back in a hurry because of it. Last year I wondered what all the fuss was about. From what I hear that was a one off because of the earlier than normal arrival of the rains.
Just wondering why Isaan doesn't have such a problem, or do they?. Is it purely down to North Thailand having a higher percentage of the countries agriculture?

MastaMax said:
Though we alI agree the pollution is bad during one month a year in Chiang Mai, we just have to live with it.

Max - you don't have to "just live with it". For instance, That Traxxionator tyre (or whatever you call it) you had on the back of your WR a while ago - I remember you saying it was a problem/no good. You could have just lived with it, but no, you did something about it and now your a happy chappy :lol3

Could they not postpone the burning until mid April. Have the Songkran festival up last man standing and all the other decent trails, burn the grass and then everyone gets to put the fires out with their water pistols, would be over and done with in a week - just a thought.

Last year was nothing compared to this year.. Last year was my first northern one and I must admit I saw a couple of hazy days and thought "is this what everyone moans about".. This year however was a different story.

Luckily for me I left CM on the first day it picked up really bad, was away for nearly 3 weeks and came back 2 days before the light rain started.. So saw it bad but didnt have to suffer. I think its an ideal time for a break down to Sihanouk, Bali, or anywhere else. I will be bearing it in mind for next year.

johnnysneds said:
Does Nan not get it just as bad as here?

Just wondering why Isaan doesn't have such a problem, or do they?. Is it purely down to North Thailand having a higher percentage of the countries agriculture?

It may be the huge valley that CM is in that causes the problem,thats what a doctor here thought.
Not sure about Nan.
Isaan is much close to the eastern sea board where the prevailing weather patterns tend to come from along with a lot of the smoke (see satellite pic posted elsewhere here).

Pity it all has to happen right in the middle of the riding season!

It will all be over when the rains get here so why get knickers in a twist about it, it has been and will always be like this...
If its that bad we all have enough disposable income to go on holiday elsewhere for a few months...which Im sure many people do, staying here and moaning about it is just plain annoying as its like this EVERY year....

Hassman said:
Ok, so if I understand it correctly you reckon that we -foreigners- should sign a petition telling the local farmers to stop doing what they have done for the last several hundred years?

The website you link to states that there are alternatives to burning but they never mention what these alternatives may be -they do state that lack of education and laziness is the reason for the burning but they are too lazy themselves to educate the reader as to what the alternatives may be.

So yet another piss and moan about Thailand without any constructive solutions to the problem.

Couldn't have said it better.

Thankfully, no sovereign government anywhere would take an online petition with foreign signatures seriously.

:bash

AlexUSA said:
Hassman said:

Couldn't have said it better.

Thankfully, no sovereign government anywhere would take an online petition with foreign signatures seriously.

:bash

Oh I don't know have you been to the UK lately.......

johnnysneds said:
Just had a read and signed the petition, it can't do any harm. Agree im probably pissing in the wind. Never really understood why all the burning took place and now I know because of that link. What are the alternatives to burning? It seems like the burning is the the most efficient and cost effective way, the alternatives are probably expensive and time consuming, how will local farmers be convinced/educated with that in mind!

Didn't you just buy a 2 stroke bike?

Perhaps some research into the area where you are going to live is always a good idea.....

:LOL

Yup...maybe I should shut the fuck up and get on with it, I can see why it gets boring year after year. Its a wee bit difficult when you learn about your 3 year old coughing and spluttering because some twat wants to get at some mushrooms or whatever it is there looking for.
Enough from me....peace :RO

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KTMphil Thailand Ride Reports 6
Back
Top Bottom