Essential minimalists gear check list for jungle trail tours

Number 1 problem I find camping in the tropics is that in an enclosed tent its too hot too sleep (90% of the time). 2am-5am in dry season it will get real cool but the rest of the year too hot when you go to bed at 10pm-midnight & you dont get a good nights sleep and therefore dont enjoy the camping experience.

Because of dew/ humidity /condensation, coming down from the sky, during the night, you need a waterproof cover over you when sleeping. If that waterproof cover above you is not ventilated, on a single layer tent, such as an enclosed flysheet on a lightweight tent setup, your humid breath and body sweat will create huge amounts of condensation on the inside of the flysheet and will drip on you.

So, to summarize for hot weather/ tropics camping:

- You need a waterproof cover to keep you dry from dew /condensation.

- The cover above you has to be well ventilated to stop condensation gathering on the under side & to keep you cool.

- The whole setup has to be lightweight.

This setup weighs just over 1kg in total with some useful advantages.

This is a Thermarest LuxyuryLite Cot Bug Shelter (with mesh floor to save weight) & a Mountain Laural Designs Pyramid tarp shelter over the top

P_20160517_181424.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Why this setup?

- All up weight is about 1.3kg and packs very small. 2 layer set up with ventilation should eliminate condensation.

-Easy setup bugnet tent

- The Thermarest LuxyuryLite Cot Bug Shelter pole roof height is high. This means that the tarp is set higher than normal & you can see in the photo above that creates massive ventilation gap at the bottom but still a good umbrella shelter cover over the netted sleeping area.

- The front / door is open creating huge ventilation preventing any condensation.

- If you're unlucky and a huge storm visits, quick and easy to convert the pyramid tarp down to its storm proof shape. The Mountain laurel Designs Tarps are bomb proof.

Storm setup below:

duomidskurka.jpg

Photo below of the front with the door open.

P_20160517_181343.jpg by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great article about 2 man tents and some interesting, unusual picks:

http://www.cleverhiker.com/top-gear-picks/

Top tent:

[h=3]BIG AGNES COPPER SPUR UL2[/h]WEIGHT: 2lb 12oz
FLOOR DIMENSIONS: 90in x 52in x 42in (wider at head, narrower at foot)
DESIGN FEATURES: 2-Person, 3-Season, Double-Wall, 2 Doors/Vestibules, Freestanding
BEST USE: Thru-Hiking, Ultralight Backpacking, General Backpacking, Camping
In my opinion, the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 provides the best balance between weight, convenience, interior space, and functionality of any backpacking tent on the market. It's light enough to disappear in your pack, but roomy enough to wait out a prolonged storm without going stir crazy. This tent has all the features you'll want to maximize comfort - freestanding, double-wall, near-vertical side walls, two-doors/vestibules, interior pockets - and somehow still achieves a trail weight of under 3lb. For ultralight freestanding tents, you'll be hard pressed to find a better option.
The Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 is my top is my top pick for two-person, freestanding tents. For more of my top picks, check out the CleverHiker Top Picks page.
RELATED: Pick up the Copper Spur UL2 footprint if you want to increase tent floor durability. This tent also comes in the Copper Spur UL1 and UL3, and UL4 for those that want more or less interior space.

Top gear picks with quilt picks (they make so much sense over sleeping bags)

http://www.cleverhiker.com/best-tents-backpacking/

In my opinion, there's no other sleeping bag or quilt that beats the warmth, weight, functionality, and affordability of the Enlightened Equipment Revelation. The Revelation can be left open like a blanket on warm nights or be cinched up tight when the temperature drops. It attaches directly to your sleeping pad to create a toasty den, even if you tend to squirm around during the night. If you're like me and you dislike feeling constricted in tight-fitting mummy bags, you'll love the freedom of the Revelation. See my full review here.

Top headlamp

The Petzl E+Lite weighs three times less than most headlamps on the market, and it still has all the functionality you'll need - low beam, high beam, flashing white, red, and flashing red. It also locks, so it won't accidentally turn on in your pack. It has less lumens (26 lm) than high-powered headlamps, but unless you're an avid night-hiker, this little bad boy is pretty much all you need.

After a long hard day in the jungle, you're tired & craving some tasty food with lots of calories in it.

Patagonia prides its self in providing quality control more than any other outdoor recreation company (Cascade Designs is probably a photo finish).

If you're looking for gourmet, long lasting camping provisions, they are now doing food, not cheap of course.

It looks like they do ship to Thailand.

4 pack of salmon, 7 minutes heated in hot water USD$ 48

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product...mon-original-4-pack?p=12101111-0-000&pcc=1152

12101111_000.fpx

Black bean soup, 6 packets, 1 pack serves to people or 1 very hungry person USD$ 39 (just over USD$ 6 a soup not crazy for quality)

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/provisions-black-bean-soup-6-pack?p=12141102-0-000&pcc=1152

12141102_000.fpx

Beef jerky 6 pack USD$ 60

http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/provisions-jerky/?k=1H-72

12121011_000.fpx

So the Patagonia beef jerky is US$ 60 for 342 gram, that makes it US$ 175 a kilo and the salmon is US$ 71 a kilo?
Considering the topic title "essential minimalists gear check list" seems to me their beef jerky and salmon are neither essential nor minimalist?

I think minimalist sun dried Thai beef/buffalo jerky can be done around 12-15 US$ a kilo, including a good vacuum packing.......

So the Patagonia beef jerky is US$ 60 for 342 gram, that makes it US$ 175 a kilo and the salmon is US$ 71 a kilo?
Considering the topic title "essential minimalists gear check list" seems to me their beef jerky and salmon are neither essential nor minimalist?

I think minimalist sun dried Thai beef/buffalo jerky can be done around 12-15 US$ a kilo, including a good vacuum packing.......

I suppose it depends on how much you value that evening meal after big day? 500-600 Baht for a really tasty, top quality, evening meal would be ok for me (you could boil weeds?).

The 2 man Freelite tent is now available in Thailand through the Thailand Outdoor Shop, price 17,200฿

http://thailandoutdoorshop.com/camping/tent-camping/hiking-tents/msr-freelite2.html

From MSR (Cascade Designs) the new MSR Freelite tent

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/t...reelite-2-ultralight-backpacking-tent/product

2 man packed weight is 1.25kg

Freelite_2.jpg

Freelite_2_2_.jpg

ColorRed
Capacity2
Fast & Light® Minimum Weight w/ footprint2 lbs / 900 g
Minimum Weight2 lbs 6 oz / 1.08 kg
Packed Weight2 lbs 12 oz / 1.25 kg
Floor Area29 sq. ft / 2.7 sq. m
Vestibule Area17.5 sq. ft / 1.62 sq. m
Tent Volume30 cu. ft / 850 liters
Vestibule Volume14.5 cu. ft / 410 liters
Interior Peak Height36 in / 91 cm
Packed Size18 x 6 in / 46 x 15 cm
Number of Doors2
Freestandingyes
Number of Poles1 Aluminum 7000 Series
Number of Stakes10 MSR Needle
Also Included4 guy cords, 4 aluminum cord adjusters
Rainfly Fabric15D Nylon Ristop 1200mm Durashield™ polyurethane & silicone
Mesh Type10D polyester micro-mesh
Floor Fabric15D Ripstop Nylon 1200mm Durashield™ polyurethane & DWR
Country of OriginImported

One of our off-road group had a big crash yesterday. Interesting to see how even the compression armor was pushed aside at the impact point

14706800_10155432725323345_4744289559668121197_o.jpg

Just ordered one of these in the constant crusade for the ultimate setup.

Under 1kg all in with rain fly and massive ventilation options a must here.

Revolutionary square slab design. Looks like it will rig/ erect using the motorcycle handlebars and rear rack perfectly, so no trcking poles needed.

The Sierra Designs Tensegrity 2 Elite

Rarely do new designs in tent architecture come along that both provide innovation and improvements to what's currently available. The Tensegrity 2 Elite is here to break the trend. It's weird, it's unusual, and it's great.

sierra-designs-tensegrity-elite-6.jpg

What I liked
Livability with the Tensegrity 2 is fantastic. The beyond vertical walls, abnormally wide floor, and generously long floor plan provides ample shoulder and elbow room, saving marriages and bromances alike. I always had plenty of room to sprawl out during foul weather and roll about on sleepless nights without bumping into my companion. While inside, I always felt like I was living in a tiny palace instead of surviving in a plastic box. Moving in and out of the shelter proved to be some of the easiest I've ever experienced, due to the long drop doors that nearly matched the length of my body. I could simply swing my legs out, lace up and roll out. Accessing gear from inside is as simple as unzipping the third door, located just above the head of the tent. Reaching for gear during rainstorms provided easy access, while not getting in the way of my entry or exit when I was ready to leave. The large windows can be left open during most rain storms (always at least one door can be left open, even with sideways rain depending on the direction, and usually both) which infinitely enhances my enjoy-ability of being inside the tent during a storm.

Even a gear shed at under 1kg

sierra-designs-tensegrity-elite-7.jpg

Rain bouncing and the wind pulling it in upset this buyer

<font color="#404040"><span style="font-family: &amp;amp">

Ventilation is phenomenal. Two large doors that can be left open in most situations, and a large door at the head of the tent create a blow through design. Paired with the large ventilated foot creates one of the best ventilated shelters I've ever tested. Condensation was always minimal, even when camping in the clouds and rain at over 6,600 feet in highly humid conditions. I was impressed, a rarity.
The large vestibule can be combined with a second set of trekking poles to provide a large porch, great for light rain or harsh sun as it creates a front porch for hanging out and cooking. An added bonus is it makes for a floor free doggy barn.

What I didn't like
The elite model requires seam sealing from the user to complete the seal. It's straight forward and pretty simple, but takes an hour or two. Be careful to choose a compatible sealant if you do it yourself, as they're not all made for sil/sil nylon. The FL model is seam sealed from the factory.I actually enjoyed the process, but some may not have the time or confidence. You can do it!
I wish it came with one additional tent stake as it's one short from being able to stake out the middle vestibule point (not needed, but I liked it staked out for added steadfastness in the wind).
The breezy design can be chilly in below freezing conditions.

sierra-designs-tensegrity-elite-1.jpg

Cr: https://treelinebackpacker.com/2015...segrity-2-elite-review-innovation-done-right/

sierra-designs-tensegrity-elite-4.jpg

sierra-designs-tensegrity-elite-2.jpg

sierra-designs-tensegrity-elite-8.jpg

Review

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&r...LRBzLC3k_P2OI2phg&sig2=hhNbyVCE1dx23OAfwc9alg

Back
Top Bottom