Essential minimalists gear check list for jungle trail tours

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Essential minimalists gear check list for jungle trail tours

Had lunch with someone the other day who thought a checklist maybe a good idea to have of essential things to take for a trip into the jungle in case you need to be self sufficient for the odd night (as we found out in Laos 10 days ago).

Remember for doing this stuff you want to keep the bike as light as possible so this is a bare bones check list.

1. hammock with mosquito net (extra long thin line (can be doubled up to use as a tow rope)) to rig supports to other trees/ bamboo) & rain fly sheet.

2.headlight & spare batteries

3.emergency food (dried bananas, cashew nuts, biscuits & tinned fish that can be eaten with sticky rice in any villiage)

4. lots of water

5. all tools for the bike

6. leatherman

7. spare fuses & headlight bulb

8. spare straps for gear loose/ broken on bike

9. foldable hacksaw ( make fire, cut bamboo, cut trees on the trail, make support for bike), the piece of wire with a handle at both ends is a toy

10. emergency blanket

11. decent 1st aid kit ---lots of pain killers

12. decent gaffer tape/ self amalgamating tape

13. Needle nose vice (mole) grips - endless uses, jury rigged brake, clutch, handle bar lever

14. lots of electrical zip (wire) ties

15. chain grease/oil

Re: Essential minimalists gear check list for jungle trail t

If it cant be fixed with duct tape.. Abandon it !!

Sef - I'd like to see you fix my blown main fuse with duct tape

bit of radiator hose is handy,towrope is a really good idea,rehydration salts, mozzy repellent,pump...
wouldnt bother with the chain lube though
a whistle and compass,lighter {to make a fire}, spare spark plug,

alexuk said:
bit of radiator hose is handy,towrope is a really good idea,rehydration salts, mozzy repellent,pump...
wouldnt bother with the chain lube though
a whistle and compass,lighter {to make a fire}, spare spark plug,

If you've got the self amalgamating tape that will seal a split hose even when the hose area is wet why do you need the piece radiator hose?

Not sure how you would use the piece of radiator hose anyway with no unions?

Chian lube - if im going to do 1,000 -1,500 km i want chian lube

You did say minimalist, everyone adds their own "essentials" . A comprehensive list would cause arguements for the next few years. I bet if you dug into anyones stash that does a lot of off roading ( like Don) you would find some wierd and wonderful things in there. Like I have a "Kelly Kettle" would never go anywhere without a clutch inner, chain breaker , pump, tubes, super glue, spare nuts and bolts, water filter etc........... ad infinitum.

Everyone learns from their mistakes and what was desperately needed one time and not there is added for the next trip.

Maybe a complete expose of what is essential is needed. :lol:

Harrythefinn said:
You did say minimalist, everyone adds their own "essentials" . A comprehensive list would cause arguements for the next few years. I bet if you dug into anyones stash that does a lot of off roading ( like Don) you would find some wierd and wonderful things in there. Like I have a "Kelly Kettle" would never go anywhere without a clutch inner, chain breaker , pump, tubes, super glue, spare nuts and bolts, water filter etc........... ad infinitum.

Everyone learns from their mistakes and what was desperately needed one time and not there is added for the next trip.

Maybe a complete expose of what is essential is needed. :lol:

Some good ideas there harry

Inner tubes is a must and should be on the list, they re always a spare on my bike so forgot to add them.

Alex just mentioned a rain poncho too

epoxy is another ---this impregnated into a medical bandage can do all sorts of imaginative things

Good list, spare clutch and Throttle cable's, zip tied to the original ones..

There in place ready to go...

And roll your duct tape around your lighter...

A few prayers may help to...

KTMphil said:
If you've got the self amalgamating tape that will seal a split hose even when the hose area is wet why do you need the piece radiator hose?

Maybe an idea to repair a split radiator hose would be to carry let's say a 2" length of steel tube with the appropriate I/d of your bikes hose and a couple of jubilee clips. The damaged section could be cut out and the tube inserted and secured with the jubilees. This would make a pretty permanent repair. Self amalg tape is a good temp repair though to get you quickly on your way.
Never had a split hose before is this common?

A query on the inner tubes. Am I correct in saying that a front inner will be usable in the rear if need be, negating the need to carry both or would it be prudent to carry both?

Great thread and I'm taking note on each individuals personal experiences, invaluable info.

MRE packs, used them in Cambodia and are excellent. Does anyone have info on where they can be sourced in Chiang Mai?

Front tube in the rear is a great short term fix but because it's too big you're asking for pinches and then problems.

I always have shit loads of talc with me in case I have to use the front inner tube in the rear, really helps stop the heat build up and the talcs lubrication "may" push out any pinches.

I like the metal tube idea with its outside diameter the same as the inside diameter of the cooling hoses, 15cm long would probably do it.

johnnysneds said:
KTMphil said:

Maybe an idea to repair a split radiator hose would be to carry let's say a 2" length of steel tube with the appropriate I/d of your bikes hose and a couple of jubilee clips. The damaged section could be cut out and the tube inserted and secured with the jubilees. This would make a pretty permanent repair. Self amalg tape is a good temp repair though to get you quickly on your way.
Never had a split hose before is this common?

Don't know if this helps but found this on the WWW (the contact details are in Thai but may Google Translate can help). In Pattaya you can buy MRE's at:

Pattaya from ThaiVisa: Head south, white song taew or any aircon bus, just after Ambassador Hotel, about 12 km I think from Pattaya, look out on your left, Big Old Aeroplane. It's a military "have everything". The Shop is just inside the gate.
Large variety of MRE's I paid 150 baht, but i never haggle
==================================

Re: ??? MRE
????????????????????????

??????? 2
Pork Rib
Potato cheddar soup
Patriotic cookies
Peanut butter
Jam Preserves
Crackers
Beverage, carbo fortified
BBQ sauce
Accessory packet C
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

??????? 5
Mediterranean Chicken
Cornbread stuffing
Ranger bar
Cheese spread
Wheat snack bread
Candy II
French vanilla cappuccino
Spice, BBQ seasoning
Accessory packet C
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

??????? 6
Chicken with Noodles
Cheese spread
Crackers
Raisin nut mix w/ choc disks
Candy II
Beverage, carbo fortified
Hot sauce
Accessory packet A
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

??????? 7
Beef Brisket
Biscuit
Cookies
Cheese spread
Crackers
Candy I
Cocoa
Butter granules
BBQ sauce
Accessory packet B
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

??????? 8
Meatballs w/Marinara Sauce
Cheddar cheese spread
Wheat snack bread (2)
Nuts
Cheese filled pretzels
Beverage, carb fortified
Spice, pizza seasoning
Accessory packet A
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

??????? 12
Veggie Burger with BBQ Sauce
Wet pack fruit
Chocolate Banana Muffin Top
Wheat snack bread (2)
First Strike bar
Beverage, carb electro
Hot sauce
Accessory packet A
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

??????? 13
Cheese Tortellini
Spiced apples
First Strike bar
Peanut butter, chunky
Crackers
Candy II
Beverage, sugar free
Spice, seasoning blend
Accessory packet C
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

???????15
Southwest Beef & Black Beans
Mexican rice
Cookies
Cheese spread
Vegetable crackers
Beverage, carb fortified
Picante sauce
Spice, red pepper
Accessory packet A
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

??????? 17
Sloppy Joe
Cheese spread, Jalapeno
Wheat snack bread
Nut raisin mix
Brownie
Beverage, carbo electro
Hot sauce
Accessory packet D
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

???? 18
Beef Patty
Mexican mac & cheese
Cheese spread w/ bacon
Wheat snack bread (2)
Cheese filled crackers
Beverage, carb fortified
BBQ Sauce
Accessory packet B
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

????20
Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce
Cherry blueberry cobbler
Cheese spread
Baked snack crackers
Chipotle Snack bread
Beverage, sugar free
Hot sauce, green
Accessory packet A
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

????23
Chicken Pesto Pasta
Cheese spread w/ bacon
Wheat snack bread
Wet pack fruit
Pudding
Beverage, carb fortified
Spice, red pepper
Accessory packet A
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag

???????????????? ?????????????? 200 ??? ???? ?????? 50 ???????????? 1 ?????

?????????? ??????????????????????????

???????????????? ??????? ??????
?.?????????? ?????????????? ??????????????
??????????? 8712022752

089-0646643 flure-vanilla@hotmail.com

You could have a pretty decent picnic if you got stuck

Brilliant post idea. As Harry states everyone packs a wee bit different but this thread with everybody chipping in can only be enlightening for us all.

Don has to be "the man" to learn from and would love to see what he puts in his kit. I did a month offroad through Cambo and Laos and here's what i had packed.

I'm using the Giantloop bag as my main bag on the bike. here's a pic and description of whats in it.

786938707_Njzh5-M.jpg

From left to right by row:
* Clothes in two zip lock bags (one pair of shorts and one pair of travel pants that can convert into shorts, couple T-shirts, 3 pair of socks, 3 pair of undies, 1 long sleeve thermal top),

* inner tubes front and rear, pair of shoes rubberbanded together, (I take more food than most because i'm a type 1 diabetic and need my food) cereal with lots of raisans and some M&M's added and powdered milk packaged in tiny zip lock bags ready to just add some water and eat in the bowl with spoon.

* Garmin carry case with my electrical cords for camera and phone charging, spare batteries for headlight, dark blue nylon bag with spares, nuts bolts, epoxy to repair holed cases, spare levers ziptyes,etc etc, hoseclamps, wire fuses,, Oishi Ice tea bottle because it is enforced with ridges that is full of oil for emergencies , ie hole your engine case and after patching with epoxy need to put some back in. Black bag with tools , zipl lock bags of dried fruit and ziplock bags of dried meat and every couple days I always stop in a village and get a few meals of sticky rice to throw in for carbohydrates. After a couple days it dries out pretty bad so every feew days spend 10 baht and gett another bag full.

* Hammock complete with mosquito net, rainfly.

Looks pretty comprehensive - nice check list justin

Lonerider - great idea on mRE's!! We were just tlaking about these last night as a food option.

I also have a backpack and carry the following.

787393250_MkFFc-M.jpg

* 3 liters of water with electrolight replacement (this can be bought in pharmacies in Laos and Thailand for cheap.

* bike paperwork with extra copies in ziplock bag

Left to right from top. Nylon bag with local and US$ currencies. headlamp, two sets of insulin in case a bottle breaks, blood sugar tester, months supply of needles

*passport and extra blood testers, tire irons, spare batteries, extra air filter oil in two small bottles,

*Red KTM bag more MC spare stuff, tire spoon with rear axle nut, air pump with electrical and duct tape wrapped around, eletrolite replacement powder, more dried meat.

* extra bifocul safety glasses so I can read the damn GPS and a spare set in case I lose the originals I'm wearing 9don't ask as I've lost them in the bush already and could not find them when they got knocked off by the brush, ann extra water carrying foldup container.

Thats what i have in the backpack.

On the front of the bike I have a wolfman headlight numberplate bag. and in it are:

787399208_kjCKv-M.jpg

In it from top top bottom are:

*two more bags of dried fruit and small camera tripod

* Rain gear and extra straps for tying shit down

*maps of where I'm going in a ziplock bag

Keep in mind i see Phil has ordered the new numberplate bags from Wolfman and they are now a lot smaller and don't hold nearly as much. A shame.

Looking forward to seeing othwhat others have to add to this post as its awful when you don't have what you need.

Edit: There is also a tow strap of webbing in there somewhere as can be attested by Harrythefinn who saw my KTM getting towed in Cambo. :lol:

Phil here's a pic of how big my older style Wolfman numberplate bag is, you can see its larger than your newer version.

667644767_LnA6b-M.jpg

I always liked these as you can get access to items I like to get to quickly: maps, snacks, and raingear.

why they made the headlight bag smaller is beyond me?

I always pack spare tubes, pump and the necessities of the "pien Yang" process, this includes the girlfiend as the pictures will show..

Attachments

• fixflat4.jpg
    fixflat4.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 1,685
  • fixflat3.jpg
    fixflat3.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 1,728
  • fixflat2.jpg
    fixflat2.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,745
  • flatfix.jpg
    flatfix.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 1,704

A cute GF can help speed up tire inflation for sure

I just came back from a brutal five day ride along the Thai - Burmese border, and made a few observations along the way..... :-) Most important thing ?? Water. Think how much you need and double it. If you are working hard through the mud, and pushing the bikes up steep muddy hills, your water needs will increase DRAMATICALLY. Once you ever run out of water in the wild you will never forget it.
Seems like 90 % of my flats are in the rear, so I only carry a rear tube. Have never had a front flat in my life. Seems like general thinking is a rear tube will work better in the front than a front tube will work in the rear. Carry lots of mosquito repellent. With your bike running you are happily cruising through the jungle having a great time. When you stop due to bike problems, you simply become a buffet for endless stinging and biting bugs, as in giant flies taking chunks out of you. Having MREs seems to be a bit of overkill. If the next meal is uncertain, a handful of energy bars will fill the gap until the next village. Bring a few medium sized plastic bags, they have many uses. If you need to cross really deep water, use the bags to seal the exhaust pipe and the air intake, then push the bike across the river. Also if you are working on the bike, spread one on the ground to lay parts on. A tow rope or strap is critical as well. For towing, making a temporary shelter, or if you really smash up your bike it could aid is sort of keeping together by tying on stuff. Clutch levers are critical. They are cheap, carry two. I snapped off one the second day, replaced it, and spent time worrying about snapping the spare one as well....
I carry mega pain pills, 30 mg morphine sulfate. Never want the horror of breaking your leg, then spend days in blinding pain while you figure out how to get out of the middle of no where. Did not have but wished I did two part epoxy. The sight glass in my bike fell into the crankcase, and I had no real way to repair it. Tried stuffing a rag and later a wooden plug, but neither one worked. Some epoxy and some gauze from the first aid kit would have worked great.
And the most important tool of all is between your ears. When things go wrong ,think slowly and carefully about the best choice of what to do next. Hastily made decisions can come back to haunt you very quickly......

Very interesting Mr. H

I have had torn valves on front tubes when running at low pressure before & if you carry a front it will go in the back to get you home. I carry a front and a rear as we tend to do some long trips.

some things I carry that are light and essential.
metal epoxy for any casing damage.
super glue this was originally actually formulated to temporary hold together laceration until they can be stitched
tourniquet bandage
torch
matches
glock
personally I dont carry sleeping or camping equipment, it is to bulky and weights to much for my liking. If I cant make my destination then it is a night of discomfort for me.

Right on Rob! top the list is Common Sense of course.

Here are some of my favorite goodies, I pack along.
The Sawvivor, I have 2 blades one for wood , and one for bamboo.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47440

The Sawvivor need a stick to hold up your bike? to change a flat? firewood for warmth? build a ramp, to jump a creek or a downed tree?
sawvivor2.jpg

Folding brush saw is great for bamboo.
FOLDING-SAW.jpg

Take money, motivates your potential helpers! or get you out of a sticky situation.
50,000.jpg

This tribesman, ran in front,(about 3 ks with no shoes!) showing me the trail, he did not ask for cash but I was so greatfull to find my way through this maze of old loggin trails! which shortened the distance to Muang Moak by 70ks!
runner.jpg
Forget your glue and patch, take a couple of these, tire irons stradle the patch while you light them, hold them down with your boots and 2 minutes its fixed!
tire-repair.jpg

Attachments

• TOW-ROPE.jpg
    TOW-ROPE.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,285
  • EARPLUGS.jpg
    EARPLUGS.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,290
  • M-AND-MS.jpg
    M-AND-MS.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,289

Excellent stuff Mr. D. i'm ordering the folding saw today, thankyou.

Extend your range, be safe
On extended trips, you will find yourself staying in villages, it is best to have that water filter along, this will greatly extend your range! The hammock is classified as safety equipment, camping is fun. Having your own bedding, will keep you out of those communal sleeping arrangements where somebody may be more friendly than you expect! Being self contained, there is no need to rush to a destination and make a riding mistake. I try not to take anything from the villagers in terms of food, so I always have a few of those red cans with me. Rehydration salts I like the ones with lots of glucose during those long rides! I cannot say how many times the Leatherman has saved the day! along with the Camelback and a throwaway poncho.

Attachments

• LEATHERMANREHYDRATE.jpg
    LEATHERMANREHYDRATE.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,285
  • KATADYN1.jpg
    KATADYN1.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,257
  • CAMELBACK.jpg
    CAMELBACK.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,264
  • hammokfloor.jpg
    hammokfloor.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,271
  • sardine.jpg
    sardine.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,287
  • firehouse.jpg
    firehouse.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 986

Flashlights
Led Lenser diode lights are the best in the world, at the moment, the headlamp is bright enough to ride your bike at night, this model has USB rechargeable battery setup!
Focus beam, infinite brightness adjustment, shines 150 meters!

http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produkte ... php?id=h7r
LEDLENSERHEADLAMP.jpg

The "Mighty Might" M1 is run by a CR123 lithium Ion battery.
This light will shine over 100 meters and will focus the beam, 3 levels of light. (sorry about the mud.)
LEDLENSERM1.jpg

http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produkte ... .php?id=m1

A homemade 3 watt led I use for camping, will Velcro to the back of the rear view mirror and can swivel 360 deg running all night using bike battery, great for set up, for camping.
One final light, is the watch battery led with stays on me all the time.
Everything above was purchased at Sim Lim tower, Singapore.

morelights.jpg

GPS
I usually take 2 units along, as I am collecting geographic information.
A GPS loaded with a the LaosGPSMap. is considered safety gear and is essential for navigation. This map is designed for expedition travel, were all tracks and trails are recorded along with vital information, such as village locations, streams rivers water crossings, fuel, hospitals act.
http://www.laosgpsmap.com/
GRABAGPS.jpg

Spot locater is a fantastic way to let people at home now were you are and call for assistance.
http://international.findmespot.com/
spot-locater.jpg

Don't forget you cell phone, and an M-phone prepaid sim card! you will be amazed at the cell phone coverage in Laos! 3-G data connection you will be surfing the interenet in some very unexpected places!
cell-phone.jpg

Finally, a good emergency whistle, I keep one on my camelback harness at all times.

emergency-whistle.jpg

Nice ideas there Mr. D ...im going to get a water filter as well, we all ran out of water on our last unplanned evening in the jungle.

Something I always have with me on overnight trips when you know you're going to be away from towns is my Thermarest Neo Air air mattress.

thermarest neo air.jpg

Deflated its the size of a tennis ball, i'm not joking. This is the XS model, so you use your Jacket as a pillow and your feet will hang off the end, but that's a small trade off for is deflated size.

Stuck somewhere, this makes a nights rest in a straw hut or on someones floor not so much of an issue.

Don - have you activated your "Spot" yet?

Air mattress comparison

The red air mattress in the Thermarest pro plus, which most people say is the best camping air mattress in the world. The yellow one is the Thermarest Neo Air XS size.

The disadvantage of the Pro Plus over the Neo AIR XS, is that deflated and rolled up the Pro Plus is 6X the size of the Neo Air XS and weighs probably 4x as much. Obviously there's a comfort trade off, but i dont think you can beat the Neo Air XS for emergency sleeping (deflated the size of a tennis ball).

[attachment=0:3mr8b0gz]air mat pro plus and neo air.jpg[/attachment:3mr8b0gz]

Attachments

• air mat  pro plus and neo air.jpg
    air mat pro plus and neo air.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 957

KTMphil said:
Don - have you activated your "Spot" yet?
+1 for that question - envisaged getting one for riding around SEA but seeing the price (US $100 for the cheapest unit + another US $100 just for one year service), I decided I was going to use a 3G card and figure a way to let folks at home track me using the iPhone..

Some great tips in this thread on what to pack, very useful , thanks guys !

Something i will take with me, and i take even on short rides into Malaysia, are spare bolts and screws. Sometimes too much pot-hole-ing (and I can only imagine on worse roads) will get your bike's screws a bit loose, and you might even loose a couple.

On my bike I only have maybe 3-4 different sizes of bolts/screws for the ones really prone to take in the road vibrations so I take with a couple of spares for each.

Don- what's the brand name of this inner tube repair stuff? ill google it

file.php

Never seen it.....How does it work

file.php

Chris, you put the tire irons on the patch to hold it in place and you somehow light this stuff to vulcanize the patch, im still in discovery mode on this too, sounds interesting.

I am sure you have seen this Shark hot patch, most people think you need that clamp so do not carry the patches, but with a couple tire irons holding it down it works just fine, light it with a match or lighter and you have a hot patch vulcanized fix.

Attachments

• hot patch tire kit.jpg
    hot patch tire kit.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 3,041

First for me...Brilliant

What happens if your lighter breaks?

Back
Top Bottom