Entering Laos with a foreign registered motorbike

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Entering Laos with a foreign registered motorbike

Details on Laos border entries are in the link below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-reports/105-laos-international-border-crossings.html

Paperwork procedure is pretty much the same as Thailand.

1. Motorcycle must be legally registered and documents (copies normally ok) must be shown. They don't seem to be so concerned about the motorbike being registered in your name as the Thai authorities do, as you've just been legally let out of another country they presume the motorcycle legality issues shouldn't therefore be their problem! They usually issue a 14 day temporary import for the foreign motorcycle.

2. 30 day immigration tourist visa will be issued to you, cost depending on your nationality is around USD $30 - BRING A PASSPORT PHOTO FOR YOUR IMMIGRATION VISA.

3. Get Laos insurance for the motorbike at the Laos border, you have an accident, you could end up in a Laos jail without it.

Map below shows where all the international Laos border entries are located and which border entries are ok for motorcycles. CLICK ON THE MAP BELOW TO ENLARGE.

LaosBorderCrossings1C.jpg

@KTMphil:
Thank you very much for this map, it´s really helpful!

@all:
Has anyone crossed the Cambodian-Laos border the last time?
We are planning to cross the border from Cambodia to Laos in about 2 week. After searching for a while in the internet and on RideAsia we furtunately found out, that a Visa on Arrival for Laos is aviable at the Cambodian-Laos border crossing since about 1 year now. Right?
And the map from KTMphil says, that the (only) Cambodian-Laos border crossing is also open for foreighn motorbikes. Very good! :-)
But, what we would like to know is, is someone knows, if there is any booth of an insurance company situated near the border crossing where we can get a motorbike insurance for Laos?

Many thanks for your help!

Many greetings
Bea & Helle

www.timetoride.de

Last edited:
Bea & Helle said:
@KTMphil:
@all:
Has anyone crossed the Cambodian-Laos border the last time?
We are planning to cross the border from Cambodia to Laos in about 2 week. After searching for a while in the internet and on RideAsia we furtunately found out, that a Visa on Arrival for Laos is aviable at the Cambodian-Laos border crossing since about 1 year now. Right?

Did Veun Kham / Stung Treng border a week or two ago.. No real problems.. Yes VOA available on this border.

Leaving Laos he didnt have a clue.. He thought my Thai ownership book was a carnet I think, went to stamp it and I only just stopped him in time.. Laos both entry and exit felt no vibes or desire for graft.. Clean, if a little asleep at the wheel.

Cambo a little more grumpy, they were asleep and they made me wake the customs guy up (I would have ignored this and blown on in if passport control had let me, apparently many others dont bother) who made faces and huffed and puffed for 10 minutes.. He made like he wanted money but I blanked him for a minute or so, and he filled out a import doc which was more like the 'anything to declare' paper, not like a time defined temp import.. When he was huffing I just said we had been and done this before without problems so no problem now, same same before.. When we emerged from his room the passport control asked how much we paid and raised eyebrows when I said nothing.

The Cambo side was more set up with annoyance scams.. a 1 dollar 'health check' (boy I feel healthier already).. a 1 dollar passport fee.. just nickle and dime pestering but to get it they have to act grumpy to 'make' you pay it.. I would prefer to pay 5 bucks and have them smile and go through the process helpfully instead of, go there.. do form.. go there.. do form.. go there.. etc.. For half an hour of negative / surly vibes.

But all done, wasnt any real hardship.

Lone Rider said:
Yes, there is a booth where you can buy insurance at the border. In January this year it was located right next to the building in which the immigration was located. They might have moved a bit as they were constructing a new border crossing building - see here for a picture of the crossing: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-reports/122-south-laos-january-2011-part-1-a.html

New buildings are there, but not operational.. No roadworks completed etc..

Last edited by a moderator:
Great current info, thx LIVINLOS

LivinLOS said:
Lone Rider said:
Yes, there is a booth where you can buy insurance at the border. In January this year it was located right next to the building in which the immigration was located. They might have moved a bit as they were constructing a new border crossing building - see here for a picture of the crossing: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/laos-ride-reports/122-south-laos-january-2011-part-1-a.html

New buildings are there, but not operational.. No roadworks completed etc..

Has anyone ever done a temp import direct to Laos from a foreign country?
I'm just thinking aloud here, but am wondering if it's feasible &/or cost effective to get my bike there for a 3 week trip next time I come over.

Edit: Re reading it I mean by foreign country, direct from Australia. Every country is a foreign country.

Pounce said:
Has anyone ever done a temp import direct to Laos from a foreign country?
I'm just thinking aloud here, but am wondering if it's feasible &/or cost effective to get my bike there for a 3 week trip next time I come over.

Edit: Re reading it I mean by foreign country, direct from Australia. Every country is a foreign country.

Pounce -

It should be no different to someone bringing a foreign registered bike into Laos from Thailand, I would have thought it would be an expensive 3 weeks though.

Do the same rules apply for a Rental bike? It would seem to me the rental shop could help with all the paperwork for you. I realize most here are locals and BUY their own bikes. But there may be one or two riders passing through who actually rent bikes and go to Laos? Since there are about a hundred rental places in Chiang Mai I would think it would be common for customers to want to cross into Laos.

Is it legal?
Do most rental companies allow their bikes to travel to Laos?
Can/will the rental company provide paperwork?
If I get a Visa Laos from the Laotian Embassy in San Francisco, USA, is it still $30?
If Thai rental companies hold your passport when you rent a bike ... how are you supposed to cross the border? :hmm

Any clarification or links to posts with current info much appreciated.

:DD

Some bike rental shops in Thailand will let you take their bikes into Laos. As you will need your passport, the rental shop will require a substantial deposit (for a KLX 250, the deposit required is usually in the region of USD$ 2,000).

Authorization paperwork is needed, issued by the bike rental company, see the link below:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...bike-border-crossings-bike-not-your-name.html

Not really sure how you expect us to know the cost of the Laos visa from the San Fran Laos embassy, im sure if you call them they will tell you?

Mickey Magoo said:
Do the same rules apply for a Rental bike? It would seem to me the rental shop could help with all the paperwork for you. I realize most here are locals and BUY their own bikes. But there may be one or two riders passing through who actually rent bikes and go to Laos? Since there are about a hundred rental places in Chiang Mai I would think it would be common for customers to want to cross into Laos.

Is it legal?
Do most rental companies allow their bikes to travel to Laos?
Can/will the rental company provide paperwork?
If I get a Visa Laos from the Laotian Embassy in San Francisco, USA, is it still $30?
If Thai rental companies hold your passport when you rent a bike ... how are you supposed to cross the border? :hmm

Any clarification or links to posts with current info much appreciated.

:DD

C&P Service asked for 50,000Bht deposit to take one of their bikes into Laos.
They also charge more for the hire rate as you're leaving the country.

Thanks so much guys!
Looks like Thailand is out then. Seems best to rent locally in country rather than trying to cross borders with a bike. That works too!

Cheers, safe riding!

What kind of insurances are offered for Thai plated bikes on a temporary import in Laos? Is 3rd party possible and what kind of coverage is offered?

Once again another great thread .
Seems like its been a while since this has been updated .

Can anyone throw some updated light on:-

Taking mopeds bought in Vietnam ( but not registered in our names ) Across from Vietnam TO Laos at NAM PHAO - CAU TREO

Can you also advise as to whether we can go in via the north border and go out via NGOC HOI - KON TUM.

Would buying out visa on arrival only annoy Mr Grumpy border man or would it help sway his letting us in as he can wack a few $$ on the fee price ?

Would 6 bikes annoy Mr Grumpy ? Should we stager our crossing times ?

And finally ww like mopeds . we have driven some really terrible sand tracks on them in Vietnam BUT whilst they are fun should we be more sensible and take a bike that we can get spares for ...
If so what is that moped / bike ?

Sorry for so many questions But thank you for your advise before we set off .

cheers

Dave in England .

Last edited:
It currently looks like the spill over of Laos entry in Xayabouri province (strictness), has hit the Chiang Khong/ Houay Xai international border crossing now , when entering Laos by foreign registered motorcycle.

Agents in Chiang Khong are advising that even a single foreign motorcycle ( Thai registered bikes need too) now need a permit in advance to enter Laos, issued by a licensed Laos tour company.

hx entry by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Are there any news concering this issue?
Are there still only one or two provinces of Laos that demands permit or has it gone nationwide now? What about coming in from other countries than Thailand such as China or Vietnam?

Are there any news concering this issue?
Are there still only one or two provinces of Laos that demands permit or has it gone nationwide now? What about coming in from other countries than Thailand such as China or Vietnam?

Not sure - I crossed into Laos with my truck on 18 August at Chiangkhong and asked and the consensus seemed to be that crossing with 1 or 2 bikes would be no problem but with more bikes you might run into problems. In the south Ubon to Pakse (Chongmek to Vangtao) reports from Thai riders indicate no problems at all. No info yet from other crossings.

The Vientiane Times of today reports that the border crossings in Xayaboury Province do not allow motorbikes and bicycles to cross into and out of Laos. It concerns the Huay Khon to Mueang Ngeun crossing, the Phu Duu to Pakeo (Uttaradit to Paklay) and the Nakraseng (Tha Li - Loei) to Nam Heung (Kenthao) crossing.

With all the changes around, we checked with officials at the Tha Li (Thailand side) / Kenthao (Laos side) international border crossing and they confirmed the Laos side is the problem and no entry into Laos with foreign motorcycles currently.

Below is the message we received:

​tl1 by Triangle Golden 007, on Flickr

Xayaboury Refuses Entry to Motorcycle Groups

Caravans for bicycles and motorbikes are now prohibited from entry at all border checkpoints between Laos and Thailand in Xayaboury province.

Deputy Director of the Xayaboury Information, Culture and Tourism Department Mr. Khampiew Phommahane confirmed to Vientiane Times on Wednesday that all of the borders in Xayaboury now prohibit touring motorcycle caravans. “The tourist police unit does not prohibit the caravans of bicycles and motorcycles, but they are banned by the Xayaboury immigration police at the borders,” he said.

The reason why the immigration police are now refusing such groups entry into Laos through the three border checkpoints in Xayaboury remains unclear. Mr. Khampiew added that some police officers at the immigration police told him that they have a signed agreements with Vietnam or China but did elaborate.

Xayaboury has three borders with Thailand, namely the Nam Ngeun-Houai Kon International border, the Nam Heuang-Nakaxeng International border and the Phoudou border.

The provincial Department of Information, Culture and Tourism in company with the provincial Tourist Police Unit have made a proposal to the provincial governor to address this problem but the governor has yet to reply. It is only the borders in the province of Xayaboury that are refusing these caravans with others provinces and Vientiane still allowing them to pass. So caravans of motorcycles from Thailand wanting to tour in Laos via tour companies still have other border crossing options.

Source: Vientiane Times

Back
Top Bottom