Entering China with a foreign registered motorcycle

KTMphil

Bikes
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Suzuki DRZ 400
Entering China with a foreign registered motorcycle

1. You have to use a Chinese licensed agent to obtain the permits to qualify for entry into China with a foreign registered motorcycle, usually quite expensive. It is normally done as a "tour", whereby the agent will give you an inclusive price for everything including your food and lodging in China, you will have to buy your own fuel on top of this.

2. No immigration visa-on-arrival, Chinese immigration visa must be obtained in advance from a Chinese consulate, 30 days is usually given depending on nationality.

In my experience, it is far easier to enter SEA with a Chinese registered motorcycle. So if you want to tour China without the expense of engaging an official agent, think the other side of the coin, buy a bike in China and start from there. Of course, you may not be able to ride your beloved KTM. Give and take, which is more important? Getting to ride China or must show up on a bike that you fancy.

Hi Franki,

noticed your entry in taking a foreign registered bike into china
I have a question for you please:
Is it allowed for a non-resident to buy and register a bike in China?
Please email reply to tgxbug@yahoo.com also.

Thank you.
Tango

tango said:
Hi Franki,

noticed your entry in taking a foreign registered bike into china
I have a question for you please:
Is it allowed for a non-resident to buy and register a bike in China?
Please email reply to tgxbug@yahoo.com also.

Thank you.
Tango

I believe you need a form of residents permit.. Which is not available to the visitor only someone working or with long stay...

At least thats what I have read and makes sense seeing how I have seen bikes being sold by westerners and they are always sold in someone elses name.

Hi LivinLos

thanks for d update,
guess its probably so,
which leaves d difficult way of entering China on a bike left.

i have taken overland convoys into China from Malaysia for up to 3 weeks trips but these were on 4 wheels with a guide attached.
Its not so much d expense of having 2 go thru 'official' channels but d hassle of having 2 have someone else along all d way, defeats d purpose of traveling by bike
Sigh
hv 2 keep looking

Back
Top Bottom