Driving licenses in Laos

Lone Rider

Blokes Who Can
Bikes
4 Wheels
Driving License valid in Laos

Lao driving license - Laos allows foreigners to take a driving test within the country to obtain a domestic license. According to the Department of Transport’s Traffic Management Division, the government has signed bilateral agreements with Thailand, Vietnam, China and Cambodia that allows drivers from those countries to drive freely in Laos as long as their licenses were officially translated into English.

International Driving License - The international driving license is issued by the foreigners home country (normally valid for one year) based upon the driving license issued by the foreigners home country. Laos, being a signatory to the United Nations’ Road Traffic Convention, accepts these International Driving Licenses as a valid driving licence for use in Laos.

It is not possible to use a national driving license to drive in Laos. Some policemen will wave you through if showing a national (non-Lao) driving license,but this is fully up to the discretion of the policemen. By Lao law it’s not possible to use the national (non-Lao) driving license. Also important to know is that some Lao Insurance Companies will not cover claims in case the foreign driver uses a national (non-Lao) driving license

Auke - not too long ago, the Thai government reversed their stand on Thai licenses held by foreigners - stating that the licenses were not valid outside of Thailand.

Have you run into any issues with that?

Auke - not too long ago, the Thai government reversed their stand on Thai licenses held by foreigners - stating that the licenses were not valid outside of Thailand.

Bob,

I have had no problems with the new style Thai driving license (the credit card type license what they sometimes call the ASEAN driving licence as it has and English translation) in Laos when police asked to see my driving license.

I did have problems with the old style driving license (I still have a lifelong valid Thai driving license which I got some 40 years ago when I worked here in Thailand) as the Lao police indicated this license was not valid in Laos. However, they jut let me ride on but asked me to exchange it in Vientiane for a Lao license.

Auke - here is the law change that I read about last year - http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/update-on-thai-driving-license/

"It was also confirmed that only Thais holding a Thai driving license may use it in other ASEAN countries. The discretion does not cover foreigners with a Thai license who are advised to obtain an international permit in Thailand or in their first country."

That is why I asked if you had problems. If they are letting it slide, good for us.

Yes, I had heard about that rule but personally I think is is again one of these Thai rules which do not make much sense. A foreigner can apply for an International Driving license in Thailand but that will be based on his Thai (Asean) driving license as you can only apply for an International licence in the country for which you hold a license. As a result, a piece of paper provided by Thai authorities based on a Thai driving licence is valid in Laos but the original Thai license itself is not valid in Laos. Anyway, in Laos it seems not to be a problem.

To be honest, that's a ridiculous ruling (if in fact true) that is outside of the jurisdiction of Thai officials. They have no power to declare what is valid and not valid outside of their own borders. Besides, I wouldn't trust anything the LTD has to say about driving matters in neighboring countries. Nearly everything they declare is false. For example, if you ask the LTD, they will state that the international transport permit or car passport can be used in Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam and even southern China! Who told them this? Vietnam does NOT allow Thai vehicles in, and never has. China requires a tour and in any case, doesn't give a crap about that purple document. A guarantee (similar to a carnet) and an organized tour are what is required. Myanmar only allows Thai vehicles in near the border and even then, doesn't care about the car passport though in the near future it might start recognizing it. Cambodia only recognizes it for commercial vehicles, but you can get the Thai officials stationed at the Cambodian border to stamp it if you want, though on the Cambodian side they won't (yet). Strange that Malaysia doesn't use it, as that's the easiest country to get a Thai car into, but it also seems they are the least fussy about paperwork, which is a good thing.

While we're on the subject of driving licences, Vietnam does not recognize Thai licences while Cambodia seems to be a bit of a hit and miss - some officials declare it to be OK, especially if driving a Thai-registered vehicle across, while others will state a Cambodian licence or an international driver's permit (IDP) must be held.

Yes, I had heard about that rule but personally I think is is again one of these Thai rules which do not make much sense. A foreigner can apply for an International Driving license in Thailand but that will be based on his Thai (Asean) driving license as you can only apply for an International licence in the country for which you hold a license. As a result, a piece of paper provided by Thai authorities based on a Thai driving licence is valid in Laos but the original Thai license itself is not valid in Laos. Anyway, in Laos it seems not to be a problem.

I wouldn't take any notice of it and declare it to be false. Thai officials have no jurisdiction outside of their borders and licences held by foreigners look the same as those held by Thais. The Thai LTD talks a good game but they don't know the left foot from the right - have they ever sat down with their counterparts in neighboring countries and discussed these sorts of issues? It's the same thing with this "international" licence plate printed in English. They charge you 200 Baht for it, but it's useless. No neighboring country requires it or recognizes it. No neighboring country issues their own version either - but since Cambodia already issues bilingual plates as standard now, there's no need, while neither the Thais, Vietnamese, Cambodians nor Chinese seem to have a problem with Lao only plates on Lao vehicles driving around their country. Malaysia, although insisting on a roman script licence plate require that these are translations of your actual plate with province and corresponding to the style of their own plates, so white lettering on a black background. The Lao authorities can read Thai anyway, so no need to switch your number plates at the border. While Cambodians can't read Thai (generally speaking) they still don't require the translated number plate issued by the Thai LTD. All in all, it's just a waste of 200 Baht.

I've just asked for a IDP at the License place in Chiang Rai but was told my Thai License is an ASEAN License. I really doubt every ASEAN Country will allow me to do so. Has anyone ridden recently in Laos with just the Thai Licence and no IDP ? ... I don't think I had one last time but want to make sure

Thai License is fine, you may be asked for you Land Transportation document which is an english translation of your green book though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lone Rider Laos Information 0