double entry visa for thailand

MAX

hey there,

in my previous post i asked about border crossings and was advised to get a double entry visa for thailand.

this makes sense to me and seems like a good idea.

now I do have talked to my local (german) thai embassy and they told me that, in order to apply for a double entry visa, i need to proof beforehand how i will enter and leave the country. eg. a bus ticket or a plane. :deal

As we are planning to enter via malaysia first, but ALL THE TIME cross the border via motorbike, i´m not sure what to do.

does anybody have experiece with this?

should i book some fake bus trips in order to get the visa? if yes, how?
or is it possible to get a visa in malaysia, even if i am a resident of germany?

thanks a lot for any help,

Max and Theresa

You should be able to either

A: Get a 6 month double or triple entry tourist visa at your local Thai Embassy. I did this in the UK and there was no requirement to show proof of travel. This gives you 60 days with the option to extend each trip by 30 days before needing to hop across the border.

B: In Malaysia there is Thai Embassy in KL, and also one in Kota Bharu.

Also Thai Visa forum is handy for reading up on visa information.

Max,

I have never heard of having to provide proof of a means of entering and exiting the country when applying for a visa (and I've done it loads of times in several countries), but I do know that technically you are supposed to show a ticket out of the country when you enter, at least by air. Unless you are from some 'dodgy' country, I have never heard of them actually checking this in Thai immigration (though airlines flying you there sometimes do). I have never crossed the border to Thailand on a bike (yeah, I know; loser!), so can't comment on that, but I would be surprised if that turned out to be a problem.

Anyway, I would go with garethw's option B and get the visa in KL. If you're there for a bit anyway getting bikes, it's probably the easiest option for you.

This demanding outbound travel proof seems to be new this year and only some embassies..

Suggest a el. Cheapo ticket to solve it..

LivinLOS said:
Suggest a el. Cheapo ticket to solve it..
On a side note, as it doesn't really apply to this scenario, I always have the company book - only book, mind you, not ticket - a return flight out of Thailand for me when I'm coming back from work. This takes care of any hassles with airlines, and the company just cancels the booking once I'm home. May not be easy to do for someone who doesn't have a travel agent on speed dial, though. Also not sure if it would work with an embassy. However, I think the embassy in KL is unlikely to make such demands anyway.

BTW Max, you can also get a Thai visa at the consulate in Penang, which you may want to visit anyway when you make your way up to Thailand.

garethw said:
A: Get a 6 month double or triple entry tourist visa at your local Thai Embassy. I did this in the UK and there was no requirement to show proof of travel. This gives you 60 days with the option to extend each trip by 30 days before needing to hop across the border.

The Thai embassies, like most countries, have their own requirements. What they require and not require in UK has little to do with what they require and not require in Germany.

No but in general its rare to be asked to have pre arranged outbound travel for tourist visas.. Certainly have done a bunch of them lately in local SEA locations and no ones asked for any tickets or anything.. Just a 3 or 6 month double entry given.

Back
Top Bottom