documents needed to take bike into malaysia not registered in my name

Taninthai

Bikes
Crf 250
Hi
anyone have any info what documents and what details are on them to take bike registered to someone else from thailand to malaysia..
i have translation document and what looks like a receipt for translation document, it looks like i have same documents as shown in video below.
https://youtu.be/9c9Zbl1Cb4E

documents i have below
14392.jpg

I recently asked this question and went through the procedure myself.

Indeed, you have the right documents to begin with. Now you also need a "power of attorney" form, "หนังสือมอบอำนาจ" in Thai, which you can receive for free at any Land Transport Department office. However, you will also need to purchase some stamps (some borders claim it's 10 Baht, others say 30 - I'd go for 30 just in case) which you can also obtain from the Land Transport Department. You could also use a form printed off the internet, such as this one (it's probably better to go for the "official" DLT one with the garuda emblem at the top though in theory, this one would work too): http://register.rd.go.th/rdinter/information/tor5_081150.pdf

The owner of the bike needs to fill out the form and attach a photocopy of his/her ID card (or passport, though ID card is preferred).

Then, as in the video you need to get Malaysian insurance and the ICP "international circulation permit" from the Malaysian JPJ Land Transport Department, which are located at every border crossing. You'll also need a white on black sticker, which is a translation of your bike's plate. All of these documents can be done at the border crossing by showing the translation of your registration. To save time, or if you think you might be crossing outside of office hours, there are agents located at some of the border crossings (especially Sadao) and in Hat Yai, which can do the documents for you and send them to you before you arrive at the border. I did this myself, I think it was worth it, though technically you might save a few Baht by doing it yourself.

ah perfect many thanks just the info i was looking for ....dont understand the stamps bit though never heard of them

The "tax" stamps, like postage stamps, are usually a green colour , 5B and 10B values are common, make the document a legal document that is accepted in court in Thailand.
Sometimes available at stationery shops as they sell copies of some legal forms used in Thailand.

This is how the stamps look like - available from Thai Revenue (Tax) offices, other Thai Government offices and some stationary shops like Harry mentioned. More info here: Stamp Duty

31330001972_2504598b51_h.jpg

again thanks for the info ,,can't really see how these stamps relate to taking a bike out the country though

It is a power of attorney form and to be a legal form (ie, accepted by customs) it needs to be duty stamped.

I tried once with a group (the owner of the bike I was riding was in the group !) and had to go get 3 stamps , stick them on the "power of attorney " letter , put a pen line through the stamps (to cancel them) and then it was OK. That is a legal procedure , it may or may not be required at the crossing point you want to use. But, if they want the stamps then you need to go look for them before they allow the crossing. For 30 Baht is it worth it ?

Last edited:
It is a power of attorney form and to be a legal form (ie, accepted by customs) it needs to be duty stamped.

I tried once with a group (the owner of the bike I was riding was in the group !) and had to go get 3 stamps , stick them on the "power of attorney " letter , put a pen line through the stamps (to cancel them) and then it was OK. That is a legal procedure , it may or may not be required at the crossing point you want to use. But, if they want the stamps then you need to go look for them before they allow the crossing. For 30 Baht is it worth it ?

Exactly. Not having the stamps is good enough reason for customs to refuse exit. One time before I owned a vehicle in my name I only had 10 Baht worth of stamps on the form and customs were reluctant to accept it because I was told it's supposed to be 30 but they eventually let me through after some wrangling. As I have mentioned, the stamps are also sold at any Land Transport Office.

Just a little update crossed through at Betong border yala.....had all paperwork apart from the stamps on the power of attorney form...at the Thai side they didn't ask for any paperwork at all they didn't even see the bike ,,,,we gave in 2 tm2 forms and they just stamped it for vehicle departed and gave us 1 copy back.
Had a little delay once through the Thai border while sorting insurance because I didn't have the black and white Malaysian number plate stickers..however a Thai woman went back into Betong and got me these ,,,,also didn't have a Thai number plate on back off my bike as just registered it to a different province and waiting on government issued plate ...this didn't cause any problems at all....so all in all went well and pretty smooth betong border very quiet and easy other borders They probably a bit titghter and look paperwork more .....thanks for all adviceand help was a great trip

Back
Top Bottom