Crossing VN mbike from Laos into Thailand

Juannacho

Bikes
Honda win 110cc - Kawasaki versys 1000
Hello! I need some help please!
I just arrived to Vientien (Laos) today and i want to cross my motorbike into Thailand in a few days.

INFO:
- Vietnamese plated Honda Win 110cc.
- I have Blue card (not at my name).
- I have import paper when i crossed from Camodia into Laos.
- Dont have international driver license.
- Dont have Laos insurence.
- Nationality: Chilean (90 days tourist visa).

Plan A: My idea is to travel until BKK, where i want to sell the motorcycle to another backpacker. I have read that a guy bought a mbike there and he had no trouble to get it into Cambodia.

1.- Can i cross my motorbike into thailand?
2.- Can i leave the country without it?

If N°1 is NO... I'm fucked and i have a mbike for sale :'(

If N°1 is YES and N°2 is NO
Plan B: Cross my motorbike into Malaysia and sell it there.
Plan C: Cross my motorbike into Cambodia and sell it there.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Juannacho!

Hello! I need some help please!
I just arrived to Vientien (Laos) today and i want to cross my motorbike into Thailand in a few days.

INFO:
- Vietnamese plated Honda Win 110cc.
- I have Blue card (not at my name).
- I have import paper when i crossed from Camodia into Laos.
- Dont have international driver license.
- Dont have Laos insurence.
- Nationality: Chilean (90 days tourist visa).

Plan A: My idea is to travel until BKK, where i want to sell the motorcycle to another backpacker. I have read that a guy bought a mbike there and he had no trouble to get it into Cambodia.

1.- Can i cross my motorbike into thailand?
2.- Can i leave the country without it?

If N°1 is NO... I'm fucked and i have a mbike for sale :'(

If N°1 is YES and N°2 is NO
Plan B: Cross my motorbike into Malaysia and sell it there.
Plan C: Cross my motorbike into Cambodia and sell it there.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Juannacho!

1. No can do - new rules are coming into effect on June 27 (and there may already be restrictions in place now) that bans foreign registered motorcycles from entering (exceptions exist only for Lao, Malaysian and Singaporean registrations). You would need to request advance permission through a Thai based travel operator, at least 30 days in advance because 1) it's a motorcycle 2) you want to travel outside of the border province entered. There is a thread here I started on this topic right on this forum - you would be well advised to read it.

Another issue: motorcycles less than 250cc are NOT allowed to cross the Friendship Bridge from Vientiane to Nong Khai. Your bike is 110cc, so it won't be crossing the border there.

2. Yes, don't see why you wouldn't be able to. Don't think customs and immigration are linked, at least not in Laos. In Thailand they are about to be linked.

B. How the hell are you going to get to Malaysia without entering Thailand? In particular, if you were prevented from leaving Laos without the bike, obviously you won't even be getting into Thailand. No idea if Malaysia would allow your bike entry, even if you made it there.

C. Forget it, Cambodian customs won't let your bike enter directly from Laos. Maybe you can enter Cambodia from Vietnam.

In conclusion, if you want to sell your bike, try selling it in Laos. Your plan to enter Thailand by bike won't work and it wouldn't be legal to sell the bike here either.

Back
Top Bottom